Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,351 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

First time poster here. My fiancé and I are toying with the idea of making the jump to my corporate headquarters in Chicago. We've both been raised in the south and have lived in Memphis for the majority of our lives. The major appeal for us is living around the high rises, enjoying the activities, and embracing the "big city" vibe. Basically we want to live I. The heart of the action. High rises, big parks, bustling streets, the works. The problem is that my corporate headquarters is in Rosemont, directly off the blue line. I've heard this might be difficult to reach from the city center.

Would you fine folks care to offer and suggestions of good places to start our initial search?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:20 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,824,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vologistics View Post
The problem is that my corporate headquarters is in Rosemont, directly off the blue line. I've heard this might be difficult to reach from the city center.
When you say directly off the blue line, do you mean almost right next to it (let's say under a quarter mile away) or a mile or two away?

The CTA has 8 train lines, and 7 of them converge in the Loop, which is part of downtown. If you were to live downtown, then you probably wouldn't want to live in the Loop, but close by (i.e an area like River North). The Blue Line runs 24/7. I also want to make it clear that while there are many high rises in Chicago, there are many low rises. However, it's different than an area like Memphis. These areas will still be dense (especially for US standards) and can still be vibrant. Wicker Park for example, which is along the blue line and a 10-15 minute ride from downtown on that is mainly low rise but has a few bustling major streets.

You also have to take budget into account. What is your budget for a place? Do you want to keep a car or go carless?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,116,969 times
Default As easy a commute as there is!

Rosemont directly abuts Chicago. Whether you drive the Kennedy or take the Blue line this is an easy commute that rarely takes more than 30 minutes or so. Additionally there is also a Metra heavy rail line that serves the area.

The corporate office parks of Rosemont are adjacent to O'Hare making for easy / safe travel options. You could live in any of the neighborhoods served by the Blue Line or close to the Kennedy expressway. This really gives you a lot of nice options.

Frankly my recommendation would be to focus less on the "high rises" and more on what benefits there might be to your career. To a certain extent, if you have to ask for a transfer like this vs the transfer being offered / suggested to you, the value of the transfer both in terms of what the employer will pay vs expecting you to cover your own moving costs AND how this positions you for any possible promotion vs a mere "lateral move" would be key questions for anyone in your situation.

The degree to which the various neighborhoods served by the Blue line and/ or close to the Kennedy have a lot of opportunity for nightlife / dining very likely would quickly take a back seat to how this move helps your longer term career development...

Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
When you say directly off the blue line, do you mean almost right next to it (let's say under a quarter mile away) or a mile or two away?

The CTA has 8 train lines, and 7 of them converge in the Loop, which is part of downtown. If you were to live downtown, then you probably wouldn't want to live in the Loop, but close by (i.e an area like River North). The Blue Line runs 24/7. I also want to make it clear that while there are many high rises in Chicago, there are many low rises. However, it's different than an area like Memphis. These areas will still be dense (especially for US standards) and can still be vibrant. Wicker Park for example, which is along the blue line and a 10-15 minute ride from downtown on that is mainly low rise but has a few bustling major streets.

You also have to take budget into account. What is your budget for a place? Do you want to keep a car or go carless?
I've heard Wicker Park is a great area. We're not opposed to low rise, but that's definitely not our first choice if we had to pick. The HQ is within a quarter mile of the train stop, so carless would be ideal. I think we want to rent for a while to get a feel for the city then buy. Budget would be tops $2,500 for rent and $350K to buy.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Rosemont directly abuts Chicago. Whether you drive the Kennedy or take the Blue line this is an easy commute that rarely takes more than 30 minutes or so. Additionally there is also a Metra heavy rail line that serves the area.

The corporate office parks of Rosemont are adjacent to O'Hare making for easy / safe travel options. You could live in any of the neighborhoods served by the Blue Line or close to the Kennedy expressway. This really gives you a lot of nice options.

Frankly my recommendation would be to focus less on the "high rises" and more on what benefits there might be to your career. To a certain extent, if you have to ask for a transfer like this vs the transfer being offered / suggested to you, the value of the transfer both in terms of what the employer will pay vs expecting you to cover your own moving costs AND how this positions you for any possible promotion vs a mere "lateral move" would be key questions for anyone in your situation.

The degree to which the various neighborhoods served by the Blue line and/ or close to the Kennedy have a lot of opportunity for nightlife / dining very likely would quickly take a back seat to how this move helps your longer term career development...
This would be a promotional opportunity with moving costs covered. It would be the absolute right move for our family, not only for myself but my fiancé too. She is an architect and Chicago has way more to offer in that arena than Memphis.

Another point worth mentioning: I would begin working on my MBA after moving. The two programs highlighted by my boss were Northwestern and U of Chicago. My initial lean is U of Chicago. I would like to be able to get to class easily without having a car.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:14 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,824,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vologistics View Post
I've heard Wicker Park is a great area. We're not opposed to low rise, but that's definitely not our first choice if we had to pick. The HQ is within a quarter mile of the train stop, so carless would be ideal. I think we want to rent for a while to get a feel for the city then buy. Budget would be tops $2,500 for rent and $350K to buy.
Yep, Wicker Park is a good, fun area. There is one nice high rise there, kind of (barely a high rise) right on top of the Division Blue Line stop. Otherwise, are you willing to commute by public transit 4-50 minutes each way everyday by living downtown?

$2500/month should be more than enough for most high rises if you're talking about a 1 bedroom place. A lot of these will also include a gym and probably pool (or two) in the building as part of rent. The Loop in Chicago has a bunch of high rises, but a lot of it is office space so a large section of that area is pretty dead after about 7pm. They're slowing changing this in the north section of the area, but it'll be awhile before the area is like the area north of the River.

If you absolutely want to live downtown, then I'd suggest looking in River North around Grand Avenue, Illinois Ave, or Ohio Ave somewhere between State St and LaSalle or Wells. There is a bus that runs along Grand Ave that links up with the Grand Ave Blue Line stop for a 7-10 minute ride. From there, it'll probably take you 30-35 minutes to get to Rosemount on the Blue Line. This area is a pretty vibrant part of downtown with a lot of dining, bars, clubs/lounges, shops, etc. It also puts you right near the Red Line (runs 24/7) and the Brown Line trains.

So if you aren't opposed to that kind of commute, then that's what I'd suggest if you want to be in a high rise area with a lot of action right around you. If not, then Wicker Park is a nice alternative for the vibrancy part. It would take probably 25 minutes to get to Rosemount from the Wicker Park stop (Damen-O'Hare).

Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,116,969 times
Default MBA options...

Admissions to both UofC & Northwestern's MBA programs are exceedingly competitive. Even extremely well qualified candidates with excellent employer backing may not be admitted.

The majority of course offering for the NU program are on the Evanston campus and driving is far more efficient than public transit. UofC has many classes at their center in the Loop. Probably silly to plan one school over the other based on commute, more a heads up that ditching the car may not be wise / possible. The programs for those employed full time often are heavy with Saturday work.

BTW The persistent glut of architects makes full-time employment exceeding difficult in the region. While I don't know what sorts of challenges there are in Memphis it would be foolish to assume that the hiring is any less constrained here.

A realistic view of the trade-offs that will come with this kind of move are essential for successfully transitioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago