U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 21,913 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finishing out my schooling in Chicago. When talking about a business or journalism degree, what are some of the schools in Chicago that have strong programs in these areas? Im not real familiar with the schools you have down there, and would appreciate any information revolving this topic. Something that maybe would be comparable in price to the U of M which is where I was going to go, but I am interested in coming to the mega city of the midwest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 PM

18 posts, read 77,272 times
A journalism degree?! Have you researched that at all? The pay rate for established print journalists is declining rapidly year on year. It's a rapidly contracting field. I'm sure that there are paid sources of income available for journalists in online media, but something about your post suggests that it isn't the career for you.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 AM

182 posts, read 475,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandau View Post
A journalism degree?! Have you researched that at all? The pay rate for established print journalists is declining rapidly year on year. It's a rapidly contracting field. I'm sure that there are paid sources of income available for journalists in online media, but something about your post suggests that it isn't the career for you.
wow, i must say...this comment was extremely dumb. it had nothing to do with the question asked!

he likes journalism, so of course he's going to pursue that!!!

what do you expect, that since the salaries are decreasing in that profession, everyone in the field will quit and find a new job and nobody will go to school for it again...? money isn't everything!!!!

as for you OP...i'm from minneapolis too...go gophers!!!!

but some schools to check out...Depaul, Northwestern, University of Chicago. I'm not sure if they have journalism, but those are some top schools.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 AM

11,544 posts, read 27,577,988 times
Considering the economy and the COL, perhaps staying at U of M for another year is not a bad idea/ Chicago will be waiting.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,304,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdplaya View Post
wow, i must say...this comment was extremely dumb. it had nothing to do with the question asked!

he likes journalism, so of course he's going to pursue that!!!

what do you expect, that since the salaries are decreasing in that profession, everyone in the field will quit and find a new job and nobody will go to school for it again...? money isn't everything!!!!
Money isn't everything. But if you're going to take out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans, you don't want your first 'job' to be writing about your bankruptcy on a blog.

My brother graduated *** Laude from Mizzou's J-school six months ago. And he aint found ****.

If you want to live in the big city, pick a career that actually provides a career.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,368,179 times
U of C does not have a journalism program and Northwestern's I am certain, is much more expensive than a public university in Minnesota. There are a lot of universities and colleges in Chicago and surrounding suburbs, I would think an aspiring journalist should have better investigative skills than just asking strangers on the internet. Googling journalism programs + Chicago brought up this link Journalism Schools in Illinois

Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 21,913 times
Im not decided on journalism yet it has always been an interest of mine, but I have really been looking at business. I was planning on going to the Carlson business school, but it is almost impossible to get into. Im not interested in going to any other public university around here for business like St. Cloud state for example. I was just wondering what kind of options Chicago had, and yes I looked at that site I was wanting to here from actual people and their opinions and or experiences on the different schools.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:27 PM

90 posts, read 303,548 times
This is the best value for business school in Chicago: UIC College of Business Administration

If you want to get your MBA later, go to Northwestern or University of Chicago. I would not waste money on lower-ranked schools unless your employer is paying your tuition to go part-time in the evening.

As a former reporter and journalism-school graduate, I would not wish my worst enemy to go to journalism school right now. All traditional media -- newspapers, magazines, tv stations, radio stations -- have been laying off employees or, in some cases, shutting down entirely. Advertising has migrated to the Internet.

It's very likely that Chicago's second newspaper, the Sun-Times, will shut down. The Tribune is in bankruptcy and is less than half the size it used to be. TV stations have replaced anchors and reporters with cheaper employees and reduced staff size. At the same time, not many people have figured out a way to make a living blogging or otherwise working for new media. Go to business school.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 PM

4,568 posts, read 7,157,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneapolisMan View Post
... Something that maybe would be comparable in price to the U of M which is where I was going to go, but I am interested in coming to the mega city of the midwest.
If you're leaving your home state, you're going to have a very hard time finding anything comparable in price to your in-state tuition found at a state college. There are a lot of good reasons to go to school in a new city, but price is not one of them.

Northwestern's Journalism school is one of the best in the country.

Both Northwestern and the University of Chicago have world-class business schools, especially for finance at Chicago and marketing or consulting at Northwestern.

The business schools at DePaul, Loyola and IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology) are also quite good, and UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago) is getting stronger but I doubt it's as strong as Carlson.

Columbia College's undergraduate journalism program is reasonably good.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,859,574 times
Northwestern has very highly ranked schools of business and journalism (Kellogg and Medill, respectively), if you can get into the programs. In fact Kellogg periodically trades off with Harvard, Stanford and Wharton (UPenn) for the #1 business school in the country per U.S. News. This year it slots in at #3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago