Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 03:31 PM

83 posts, read 240,215 times

Advertisements

I'm very close on closing a condo in downtown Chicago. The inspection went well but that was for the interior of the condo. I just walked by the condo building yesterday and noticed there are a lot of cracks on the building outside wall. The building was built in 2005 so it is relatively new for Chicago. I have already asked my agent to ask the management of the building about the cracks and plan/budget to fix them. Before this, my lawyer has checked the financial of the HOA, there has been no special assessment in the past and there won't be any in the next 2 years at least. They have $380k in fund reserve for about 100 units in the building.

Should I be concerned about this? Does that mean the building will have problems in the future?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default In a word -- "YES!" you should be very very concerned about the exterior!

There are many relatively new building constructed of inappropriate materials / built to lax standards that will costly nightmares of NEVER being "quite right".

Recent thread touched on similar issues -- //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-cracking.html

Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 PM

265 posts, read 404,666 times
Hopefully your building isn't made out of dryvit/EIFES.

If it's made out of regular brick, etc. sounds like it's just in need of regular tuck pointing maintenance. My inspectors always look at exterior of condo buildings as well (roof, balconies, tuck pointing, etc) to ensure everything is addressed during the inspection period.

You and your attorney should also get all the condo docs which hopefully lays out past and future maintenance schedules. If it's not called out there, I would ask for them to confirm if tuck pointing issues will be addressed or if it's on the HOA's "to do" list at some point. Reserves sound pretty healthy so hopefully it's not a big deal.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:03 PM

I think the building is made out of Concrete, definitely not masonery . I'm not sure what dryvit/EIFES is but you sound like it's bad. Is it a form of concrete?

The cracks look to me a bit more like some kind of acid dripped down and ate into the exterior facade. The cracks have like orange/yellowish hue to them. I remember there is like a circle subsided crack (then may not be a crack, how can a crack be a circle). I will find out more info next week about the cracks. I will go there again to take some photos.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 PM

265 posts, read 404,666 times
Just google dryvit Chicago and you'll get some useful info.

But I feel by this point, you would know if the building was made of dryvit by now, so hopefully it's not. It's basically a man made "stucco" product that a lot of developers were using in the early-mid 2000s. Many of the buildings now are finding lots of exterior and interior (moisture) issues due to this product. I think a lot of it has to do with people not maintaining it properly and now are dealing with consequences.

But again, if you have a good agent and inspector, you prob would know by know if it's dryvit. Hopefully it's not. Not the end of the world if it is, but can definitely complicate a sale.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 PM

I found out the details:

Structural material
steel
concrete

Facade material
concrete

Facade system
exposed structure

Architectural style
postmodernism

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 PM

I took some photos of the cracks around the building. What do you guys think?

https://app.box.com/s/wf5nyb9l4fb2del4dby9

Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default That ain't acid drips...

...those are CRACKS. DEEP ones, that have been "filled" with some kind of "patching material".

I am not expert but the circles reminds of some kind of pattern from either "cast in place" system has forms may have been used during the construction of this building OR (more likely in my not professional opinion) some kind of "fastener system" that was used to attach precast concrete panels to the super structure.

It does not look right -- think too is that sometimes things like these are crazy expensive to fix. 20 years ago the tower that is now Aon's HQ on East Randolph was clad in marble. The marble was prone to cracking and at huge expense was all removed and replace with granite. I don't know the details of the building shown but if that sort of thing is a possibility I cannot imagine how costly this might be...

Old 10-29-2014, 07:01 AM

12 posts, read 15,218 times
Before you buy, you should get the exterior of the building inspected, pull the meeting minutes, and talk to your neighbors. Sometimes people do not get the inspection of the exterior done because the cost can be upwards of $1200. Let me tell you that it will be money well spent. Sometimes when you ask to see minutes, you will be told that are no meeting minutes. This is a lie. There are always meeting minutes and if they are reported correctly, it should tell you when the last work on the exterior was done. If it is properly maintained there will be work on the exterior every year in some capacity. That is maintenance. Also, if you can, try to talk to the neighbors, though this may not be entirely possible to get their take on the cracks. If those leaks get bigger in any way or if people begin experiencing leak issues in their unit from those cracks, this will be a nightmare that you wished you stayed far away from and it will be extremely costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: