Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM

80 posts, read 302,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
I'm sure you have an opinion. Let's hear it.

Anything rented as required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, funny. Ha ha. Except that while your Subaru has 4-wheel drive unlike many cars (as do many Volvos by the way), it has the same conventional 4-wheel braking that any other car has so its stopping and braking power is no better. So if driving conditions are so bad that people are sliding off the road, then braking distances are substantially longer and you have no business doing 60mph even with AWD. You're the kind of driver who defeats the safety benefits of AWD. So laugh all you want -- but if you keep doing 60mph in conditions that send other people into ditches, you'll either end up in a ditch soon yourself or you'll end up driving right up someone's trunk.
Taking conversational hyperbole in the absolute most literal sense is usually a fairly accurate barometer of ones IQ.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Taking conversational hyperbole in the absolute most literal sense is usually a fairly accurate barometer of ones IQ.
I suppose I could say the same thing about people who believe that AWD gives them a license to fundamentally change their driving habits versus 2WD in adverse weather conditions, whether they hyperbolize about it or not.

This is a text forum. There are no verbal cues. That's why there's those little emoticons available for your use. Either use them, or mean what you say and say what you mean.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:50 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
I suppose I could say the same thing about people who believe that AWD gives them a license to fundamentally change their driving habits versus 2WD in adverse weather conditions, whether they hyperbolize about it or not
Amen to that! How ironic that most vehicles I see in the ditch during a snow storm are SUVs.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM

25 posts, read 134,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
NY is KY with big buildings? And I want a firearm? Where the #3!! did that come from? And people who slam on their brakes to try to get me to rear end them purposely I might add because that person was an ignorant hick was the reason I did that stunt. It was payback time, so I had the faster car, swerved around him and then I returned the favor causing him to loose control as he was in a large truck which had poor manueverability. Anyways in that case I wasn't the originator in violence. I was cruising along in the left hand lane, when this guy swerved out in front of me from behind a truck, he thought I was following too close so he began slowing down by tapping his brakes, then flipping me off. I honked at him so he slammed on his brakes not thinking I would retaliate of which I did. I admit I have rarely ever done that since, and try to limit my road rage to honking at someone and that is it, but if someone purposely trys to cause me an accident so they can get rich quick by crying whiplash or any of that milarky, I will return be sure to return the favor.

wow thats ignorant and offensive. I have to say people with anger issues like this make me feel unsafe on the road. my husband and my young brother were on the expressway and the guy in front of them hit the breaks, so they did to. this ticked off the idiot with anger issues behind him who decided to "return the favor" as you say. I hope for your sake you dont have anyone in your family or close knit friends that you love and care for dearly, because when some idiot like you decides to "return the favor" and you end up burying you 11 year old brother it sorta changes the facts.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM

300 posts, read 952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
I'm sure you have an opinion. Let's hear it.
I would avoid the Hummer because of its huge turning radius.

The mini is just to mini for me.

For me a FWD Sedan with stability track is just fine for Chicago.

All wheel is drive is just adds complexity, weight, and reduces gas mileage.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,527 times
Car of the future.. expect three of these on every block in 5 years

Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
Car of the future.. expect three of these on every block in 5 years
Maybe up in this part of town... I doubt so in your neighborhood.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,046 times
Default Small in city rules

If you live in the city or intend to park your car in the street EVER, no brainer.....smaller is better. Bigger cars get more dings, nicks, etc...I have had both kind in the city.

Why would you want a Hummer to navigate some of the narrower city streets? Is this a car to drive BY The city on the expressway? And there is not enough snow anymore to warrant a big car like that.

I say, if you live in the city....rent a car when needed unless you drive daily for a compelling reason.

Volvo? Honda? Small Chrysler convertible?

SUV's block the field of vision and for some reason I don't understand, the don't seem to have the ability to drive.......I think being up high ruins their perspective of the road?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,527 times
Quote:
Maybe up in this part of town... I doubt so in your neighborhood.

Already on the waiting list so there will be at least one... I can get like ten of these things in my garage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: