Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually, it is true at least at the Metro area. Calculating out the percentages using the 2013 estimates, you get 2.2% for Chicago area are millionaires while 1.95% are millionaires in the LA area.
In other words, you were completely wrong, and LA has twice as many millionaires. You claimed that LA and Chicago have roughly the same number of millionaires.

If the two metros have similar % of millionaires and LA has twice the population, then obviously LA has roughly twice as many millionaires.

And the number is probably much higher, because your stat doesn't include home values. Home values in the LA area are roughly twice that of the Chicago area, so obviously there will be much more wealth from home values in LA compared to Chicago. Home values are the primary source of wealth in high-cost metro areas, and obviously real estate is more liquid than most investments (it's practical to sell a house and then rent or trade down; not as practical to liquidate your retirement or kids college savings).

I would guess that overall LA has roughly 3x the # of millionaires as Chicago, and may be #2 globally.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
In other words, you were completely wrong, and LA has twice as many millionaires. You claimed that LA and Chicago have roughly the same number of millionaires.

If the two metros have similar % of millionaires and LA has twice the population, then obviously LA has roughly twice as many millionaires.

And the number is probably much higher, because your stat doesn't include home values. Home values in the LA area are roughly twice that of the Chicago area, so obviously there will be much more wealth from home values in LA compared to Chicago. Home values are the primary source of wealth in high-cost metro areas, and obviously real estate is more liquid than most investments (it's practical to sell a house and then rent or trade down; not as practical to liquidate your retirement or kids college savings).

I would guess that overall LA has roughly 3x the # of millionaires as Chicago, and may be #2 globally.
It would be nice if you would show some back up to your claim.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
The idea of a "millionaire" in a housing market like southern California is pretty funny, as it is very much a "middle class lifestyle" in most other areas of the country. Pay down a 3-bedroom non-updated ranch house for $750,000 and have a small 401k, and you are a millionaire.

Most younger middle class Americans alive today will be "millionaires" by the time they retire, assuming they keep contributing to retirement accounts. It's not the measure of wealth that it once was, particularly in expensive housing markets.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 PM

425 posts, read 431,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Let's face it...for the most part, Bros are going to come out ahead in life.
Legends in your own minds. Cool story, bro.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:59 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:

LA's median household income is nearly identical to Chicago. I think they have Chicago beat by a few hundred bucks. LA's poverty rate is slightly higher than Chicago. And that's before adjusting due to high cost of living.

Socioeconomics of both cities are fairly similar. Heavily minority and working class.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Do you even realize how painfully obvious it is that you're Standard111? Nice of you to leave out where I stated the fact that LA has a higher percentage in the city limits, but in the metro areas it has a lower one which is a fact, especially if you can do 2nd grade math.

Here's the actual quote, which you basically quoted me on, except you left out the key part where I said the city level had a higher percentage for LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually, it is true at least at the Metro area. Calculating out the percentages using the 2013 estimates, you get 2.2% for Chicago area are millionaires while 1.95% are millionaires in the LA area. LA has a higher percentage of millionaires in the actual city limits, but when you factor in suburbs, Chicago definitely pulls ahead.

Last edited by marothisu; 09-15-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 PM

498 posts, read 724,499 times
Was George Bush a bro?

Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 PM

422 posts, read 812,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
lenniel,

Since you are a self proclaimed successful bro, please answer the following questions:

- What do you do for a living?
- Where did you go to college?
- What did you major in?
- How old are you?
- Where do you live?
- What do your parents do?
- What was your socioeconomic status while growing up?
- What do you do on a typical Friday and Saturday?

I am interested to see what the profile of a self proclaimed bro is.
I don't consider myself to be a bro by any means but this sounds like a fun game to play to see how near or far I fit the stereotype, I will even comment on myself.

- What do you do for a living? Currently work in real estate but since college I have worked in city government and on political campaigns. Real Estate is a pretty "bro" profession but city government and politics less so.

- Where did you go to college? UIC, technically not a big ten school but since it is part of the UofI system maybe a little bro.

- What did you major in? Political Science undergraduate and Urban Planning master's, not terribly bro, certainly not the latter.

- How old are you? 33, within the bro generation (millenials)

- Where do you live? Garfield Ridge (i.e. SW side near Midway) not very stereotypical bro but there is a variant of working class bros in these parts.

- What do your parents do? Dad was a Caterpillar engineer and mom was an office secretary and later housewife. Not an uncommon bro-background.

- What was your socioeconomic status while growing up? I considered my family to be slightly upper-middle class but by city-data standards I was raised middle-middle class, possibly a bit lower middle class given what some people on here consider good money. So could be a bro background or not depending on what one considers well off enough to be bro pedigree.

- What do you do on a typical Friday and Saturday? If someone invites me to a bar or club I go but nightlife and partying is not the end all be all to me or the first thing that comes to mind as to why city life is awesome. So not terribly bro or perhaps socially bro.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
I don't consider myself to be a bro by any means but this sounds like a fun game to play to see how near or far I fit the stereotype, I will even comment on myself.

- What do you do for a living? Currently work in real estate but since college I have worked in city government and on political campaigns. Real Estate is a pretty "bro" profession but city government and politics less so.

- Where did you go to college? UIC, technically not a big ten school but since it is part of the UofI system maybe a little bro.

- What did you major in? Political Science undergraduate and Urban Planning master's, not terribly bro, certainly not the latter.

- How old are you? 33, within the bro generation (millenials)

- Where do you live? Garfield Ridge (i.e. SW side near Midway) not very stereotypical bro but there is a variant of working class bros in these parts.

- What do your parents do? Dad was a Caterpillar engineer and mom was an office secretary and later housewife. Not an uncommon bro-background.

- What was your socioeconomic status while growing up? I considered my family to be slightly upper-middle class but by city-data standards I was raised middle-middle class, possibly a bit lower middle class given what some people on here consider good money. So could be a bro background or not depending on what one considers well off enough to be bro pedigree.

- What do you do on a typical Friday and Saturday? If someone invites me to a bar or club I go but nightlife and partying is not the end all be all to me or the first thing that comes to mind as to why city life is awesome. So not terribly bro or perhaps socially bro.
Transitional between gen-ex and millenial if born between 77 and 82. (age 32 to 37 today)

Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 PM

422 posts, read 812,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Transitional between gen-ex and millenial if born between 77 and 82. (age 32 to 37 today)
Yeah I have heard of different cut off years from different sources but 1980 is right in the middle and a nice numerical cut off to include everyone born in the 1980's in the same generation. Also as far as the "bro" influence is it really considered some recent phenomenon or just a variation of an archetype of certain type of men that have always existed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago