Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 04:13 PM

425 posts, read 431,735 times

Advertisements

I am not arguing the "reality" that some peoples' (or supposedly, "American" society's) view of success is "measured by income." I realize plenty of people view it that way. I am arguing: that is a bad way to view/measure success.

I am also not arguing that money means nothing. Being able to support yourself financially is one of a rational person's criteria for determining their own success. If you can't afford a meal, it becomes much more difficult to say that you've been "successful" in life.

If you think a person who brings home 500K is more "successful" than a person who brings home 60K, without knowing anything else about these two people -- you have simply confirmed your (or whoever else's) "narrow" view of success. What if the person with 60K income cured cancer? Or what if that person saves lives every day at their job? What if that person has a great family, friend, and spouse? These are just a few of thousands of examples showing that income as a pure indicator of success is a horrible way to look at things. You cannot exclude the rest of your livelihood if you are to discuss how successful you are. If you do, that means money means everything to you. Which, as I've been continually stating, is how stupid and greedy people think.

More money
does not mean more success. That is a completely fabricated notion, which certain people have bought into. Certain people who cannot think very profoundly or creatively or ethically, it seems. (Not speaking to anyone in particular here, just saying in general)

Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
For about the 10th time, please explain your definition of success? Because you keep dancing around the answer and basically saying "success is in the eye of the beholder", which is fine if the only person you care about proving your success to is yourself.

But, the vast majority of society is going to define success in some sort of financial sense or other achievement. And if you're talking about the bro influence, most, if not all of those guys are going to gauge your success at how you do financially/professionally, etc.
Granted, you think that's short sighted or shallow, but that's the reality. And for those in that circle, that's how you'll be judged.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
But, the vast majority of society is going to define success in some sort of financial sense or other achievement.
I don't think that's true, at all. Most people I know do not primarily judge "success" in life in terms of finances. If so, no one would have kids, most people wouldn't marry, people wouldn't be close with family and friends, etc.

I mean, you judge the worth of a person by their bank account? That seems extremely odd, given that it's usually not heavily correlated with a specific type of person.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:51 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What exactly is this Big Ten Bro? Is that the midwest farmers version of the Northeast Ivy League good Ole Boys club? What are the other regions of US's equivalents to this "Bro"

Sounds a little limp wristed to me. Chicago bathhouses come to mind.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Is this code for 'gay'?

I have been reading this thread and wondering the same.

I think it to be a club for immature boys a rung below metrosexual. Entitled white guys who fancy themselves to be jocks of sorts call each other "bro". It must be cool to do such because these guys evidently feel safe with and seek out other bros so they can call each other "bro".
I have met the type but the concept wasn't what it was when I was in school. These guys are almost sorority sisters.
You can glean as much in this thread.

IMO

Old 09-08-2014, 10:30 AM

166 posts, read 259,831 times
Yeah i wouldnt say they are "gay". And i dont mean their sexual orientation. I mean "gay" as in straight guys that get mad when a friend cancels on them and act like divas. That kind of "gay". Bros are just guys that never grow up. They never let go of their schoolyard mentality. They'll be 50 and still call another guy a "pu*s1" for dumb reasons. They are fanatical about college football and will use it as a perfectly good excuse to get trashed. They are not smart people but will end up in decent careers mostly because they come from privileged backgrounds and will have easy access to a college education. They wont have to "work" for a decent career. They'll simply go have lots of fun at Arizona State and get a degree in business administration. Then they'll end up working at Aon or an investment firm as a sales/client services rep. No real brains needed, just someone willing to play the part. Now is this "success"? Not in my personal opinion. They simply played their role. They went through the motions of college then a job. Do they make decent money? sure. But nothing that they do took extra effort or a special kind of skill/dedication. They simply did what they SHOULD have done. So yes, even if they earn good money it doesnt mean they are successful in my opinion.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I have been reading this thread and wondering the same.
It's not. There are gay bros, of course, but the two stereotypes are completely different.

If you want to see a stereotypical bro in his natural habitat, then checkout a Wrigleyville bar on a Saturday night when there isn't a Cubs game. You'll see the local college bros, in addition to their recent (and not so recent) Big 10 bro cousins.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
Yeah i wouldnt say they are "gay". And i dont mean their sexual orientation. I mean "gay" as in straight guys that get mad when a friend cancels on them and act like divas. That kind of "gay". Bros are just guys that never grow up. They never let go of their schoolyard mentality. They'll be 50 and still call another guy a "pu*s1" for dumb reasons. They are fanatical about college football and will use it as a perfectly good excuse to get trashed. They are not smart people but will end up in decent careers mostly because they come from privileged backgrounds and will have easy access to a college education. They wont have to "work" for a decent career. They'll simply go have lots of fun at Arizona State and get a degree in business administration. Then they'll end up working at Aon or an investment firm as a sales/client services rep. No real brains needed, just someone willing to play the part. Now is this "success"? Not in my personal opinion. They simply played their role. They went through the motions of college then a job. Do they make decent money? sure. But nothing that they do took extra effort or a special kind of skill/dedication. They simply did what they SHOULD have done. So yes, even if they earn good money it doesnt mean they are successful in my opinion.
Wow....jealous much.

You obviously went to a tiny school, didn't get into a fraternity, was picked last on the playground, don't do well with the ladies, probably aren't doing well financially.

But hey, if you were just a Bro, look how easy life would have been......After all, being a bro means your born with a golden spoon in your mouth and don't ever have to really work for anything, right?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Wow....jealous much.

You obviously went to a tiny school, didn't get into a fraternity, was picked last on the playground, don't do well with the ladies, probably aren't doing well financially.
None of this makes any sense.

Small schools tend to be more greek than large schools, fraternities nationwide are generally hurting for members, and there is no relationship between greek membership and "doing well with the ladies" or "doing well financially".

The best schools, BTW, tend to not have much of a greek presence (many don't even allow such organizations).

Old 09-08-2014, 11:56 AM

166 posts, read 259,831 times
Quote:
Wow....jealous much.

But hey, if you were just a Bro, look how easy life would have been......After all, being a bro means your born with a golden spoon in your mouth and don't ever have to really work for anything, right?
Oh and using "much" the way you just did, that's pretty "bro"-gay. And yes went to a private university, chose not to join a frat, was always picked in the middle rounds, am married to a beautiful young lady, and i am doing perfectly fine financially. So you're implying that all bros go to large universities, are athletic, are ladies men, and are doing great financially? Please. You dont even believe that yourself. But very broish of you to try and "pick" on someones looks and finances to make yourself feel better. Grown ups dont find that cool or amusing you lame wad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago