Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Depends what you mean by "White" I guess. I'm Southern European but don't look crap like the majority of Midwestern White people. I'd fit in more in the Northeast with my swarthy, hairy appearance. But as far as being able to tell White people apart, I'm guessing you're non-White by that comment. I can definitely tell them apart. I feel like Europeans (in terms of appearance) look the LEAST alike. Compare a Sicilian to someone from Ireland to a Swede. Lots of physical variation there. But, I'm of Euro descent so I notice this.
I don't mean to say that a Swede looks like a Sicilian. I'm saying the people who live here all look alike to me. This wasn't true in Los Angeles, where I'm from. Far less WASP-y looking folks there in general, which is funny considering Los Angeles has a reputation for everyone being blonde, but out here, everyone actually is.

Oh, and all bald white guys aren't Bruce Willis? Ha! No no, I kid.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:57 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I don't mean to say that a Swede looks like a Sicilian. I'm saying the people who live here all look alike to me. This wasn't true in Los Angeles, where I'm from. Far less WASP-y looking folks there in general, which is funny considering Los Angeles has a reputation for everyone being blonde, but out here, everyone actually is.

Oh, and all bald white guys aren't Bruce Willis? Ha! No no, I kid.
Everyone in Chicago is blonde? I would say that's a stretch. There aren't enough Nordic people in the metro to cause that. If you look at hair color distribution maps of the US, blonde isn't the dominant hair color of the Chicago area.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:11 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,776 times
Yes, that's what I meant. Every single person.

I mean, even if all of the white people here were Nordic, Chicago is more than 50% non-white, so of course blonde isn't the dominant color. What I was saying was... you know, what - never mind. Cheers.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:17 PM

Right, because I was referring to the non-White population when factoring in WHITE PEOPLE'S hair color.

Chicago's White ethnic population is made up mostly of Germans, Irish, and Poles. Otherwise there's Italians, Greeks, and Swedes. Only one of those groups has a majority blonde population. The rest do not. This ain't Holland, Michigan or the Upper Midwest.

Makes no sense to think in a city where the majority of Whites aren't Nordic that most of the White population is blonde. Why would they be?

Old 06-06-2015, 02:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
I'm Southern European but don't look crap like the majority of Midwestern White people. I'd fit in more in the Northeast with my swarthy, hairy appearance.
Yeah, that's how I am, minus the part about hairy, haha. Definitely don't look at all like a stereotypical Midwesterner being described. People usually think I'm Italian, Greek, Lebanese, or Hispanic. Not even close to looking the stereotype of German or Scandanavian or English or whatever.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, that's how I am, minus the part about hairy, haha. Definitely don't look at all like a stereotypical Midwesterner being described. People usually think I'm Italian, Greek, Lebanese, or Hispanic. Not even close to looking the stereotype of German or Scandanavian or English or whatever.
On the South or West Sides (and suburbs of those respective areas), people speak to me in Spanish. On the North side and North suburbs, everyone thinks I'm Greek or Assyriana. Funny how context changes perception. In the Northeast, nobody thinks I'm Puerto Rican, but in Chicago people think I'm either Greek, Assyrian, or Mexican.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:32 PM

297 posts, read 294,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Most white American women dye their hair blonde or lighten it with highlights. I think it's because many believe that blonde hair is closer to the white standard of beauty.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:35 PM

I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to create the following thread:

Chicago is exceptionally full of financially successful men? Agree or Disagree?

Old 06-06-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to create the following thread:

Chicago is exceptionally full of financially successful men? Agree or Disagree?
As a man from Chicago, I would have to say the answer is overwhelmingly NO lol

Look at the South and West Sides!

Old 06-06-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
As a man from Chicago, I would have to say the answer is overwhelmingly NO lol

Look at the South and West Sides!
And I'm willing to bet that the majority of men from Chicago are not exceptionally handsome either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago