Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:21 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,560,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Midwest Catholics fit the same mold. It's a non-ethnic type of look that can be called WASP or WASP-aspirational.

And there are plenty of white Protestants in Chicago. Chicago has a lower proportion of Catholics and Jews than NYC or LA, so it stands to reason it has a higher proportion of Protestants.

And moneyed areas of Chicago definitely have a Protestant presence. Plenty of Protestants in towns like Wilmette or Hinsdale.
Almost certainly due to Chicago having a larger proportion of African Americans. Aren't we talking about the city here? And since when are Catholics WASPs?

Old 09-09-2014, 02:35 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,207,976 times
Why hasn't anyone calculated WASPs per capita in Chicago?

Old 09-09-2014, 03:29 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Why hasn't anyone calculated WASPs per capita in Chicago?
I'm more interested in W.A.S.P.s per capita.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:36 PM

596 posts, read 814,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm more interested in W.A.S.P.s per capita.
How about the other wasps, the insect. Does Chicago have a problem with those?

Old 09-09-2014, 03:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,246,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Almost certainly due to Chicago having a larger proportion of African Americans.
I don't think so. The % African American is about the same in the NYC area and the Chicago area. And I don't think some place like Wilmette or Hinsdale is heavily black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Aren't we talking about the city here? And since when are Catholics WASPs?
WASP isn't a literal term. It was to make a distinction with "ethnic" whites. A Catholic sixth generation American from suburban DuPage named Ashley isn't "ethnic". A Persian Jew from West LA, that's "ethnic".

The Grosse Pointes, in Metro Detroit, are archetypical WASP, though they have plenty of German and Italian Catholics. They aren't "ethnic" though. They assimilated. The wealthier Jews and Arabs and Asians and immigrants live on the other side of town, in Bloomfield Hills.

Though there are still WASP enclaves everywhere. Some parts of Pasadena have a WASP feel, while in the NYC area, there are still a few suburbs associated with mainline Protestants (Bronxville, Darien, New Caanan come to mind).

Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,560,693 times
Quote:
I don't think so. The % African American is about the same in the NYC area and the Chicago area. And I don't think some place like Wilmette or Hinsdale is heavily black.

WASP isn't a literal term. It was to make a distinction with "ethnic" whites. A Catholic sixth generation American from suburban DuPage named Ashley isn't "ethnic". A Persian Jew from West LA, that's "ethnic".

The Grosse Pointes, in Metro Detroit, are archetypical WASP, though they have plenty of German and Italian Catholics. They aren't "ethnic" though. They assimilated. The wealthier Jews and Arabs and Asians and immigrants live on the other side of town, in Bloomfield Hills.

Though there are still WASP enclaves everywhere. Some parts of Pasadena have a WASP feel, while in the NYC area, there are still a few suburbs associated with mainline Protestants (Bronxville, Darien, New Caanan come to mind).
Ok, so by WASP you mean white. Why do you keep bringing up suburbs? This is about Chicago, the city. LA is 10% black, and NYC is 25%. Chicago is about 33%.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 PM

216 posts, read 311,537 times
Quote:
Chicago has a specific "look" moreso than other major cities, IMO. There's almost a lifestyle "uniform" excepting the hipster areas, with the blond air, pissed off look, lulu lemon pants, apartment in anonymous highrise box, leased Audi A4, etc.
I would say this is highly accurate, but I would change "Chicago" to "River North, Gold Coast and Lincoln Park". I also bolded the funniest part. To answer the OP, no I would not say Chicago is noteworthy when it comes to female beauty.

Paris? Yes.
St Petersburg? Hell Yes.
Montreal? *Eyes bug out and steam starts coming out of ears like Wile E Coyote*
Chicago? Maybe a little above average.

Last edited by eating while walking; 09-09-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,869,602 times
Quote:
If you said west of Western (or at least west of the Kennedy) you would have a point.

If anything, immediately west of Halstead is more Trixie than the lakefront buildings.
Never met a girl named Trixie, I don't know where the stereotype comes from. Kaylie or Kendra maybe.

West of Western becomes a diversity exercise. Not that there's anything wrong with that :-)

Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,869,602 times
Quote:
Midwest Catholics fit the same mold. It's a non-ethnic type of look that can be called WASP or WASP-aspirational.
WASPirational? cute

Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,488,359 times
I have two words for this topic -

I'm here!

just kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago