Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 PM

774 posts, read 2,488,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
We've driven to the Outer Banks and other parts of the Carolinas multiple times. It's a beautiful drive once you're in the rolling hills of Ohio. And driving through the Blue Ridge or Smokies is spectacular.
Definitely a beautiful area, but it's also definitely not a vacation hot spot for Chicagoans as a general matter. The chances that you'll encounter a fellow Chicagoan there are pretty low compared to Wisconsin or Michigan in the summer, Florida or Arizona during the winter, or Colorado during ski season (all places where we're as ubiquitous as New Yorkers in the Hamptons or Miami). I've also seen stats that Chicagoans travel to Las Vegas in disproportionately high numbers (where Chicago is the #2 origination market for Las Vegas after Los Angeles, which is driving distance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,382,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...you won't find too many people that drive to the "Outer Banks". That is just too far.
I drove to Miami 3 times, and NYC once. North Carolina wouldn't be that bad of a road trip.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
I've heard of families driving to Destin FL, on panhandle with decent Gulf Coast beaches. That is a fairly straight shot and can under 900 miles with wise route choices, could be done in 14 hours or less.

The Outer Banks are another 200+ miles and you have to cross some fairly mountainous terrain, probably takes a solid 18 hours.

I suppose it is technically possible to drive to Miami, Key West or even San Diego, but it is just so lengthy that for folks with a normal kind of lifestyle a cheap flight is going to be a much more time efficient means of travel.ey West

Old 09-08-2014, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 11,349 times
I feel like Chicagoans go to Wisc (Dells, lake geneva), Indiana, Michigan and other Midwestern cities for summer road trips. Other times people like to go to hot weather destinations like Cali, Florida or the south.

Also more and more my friends and I travel overseas at least once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago