Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,044 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am considering moving to Chicago from Milwaukee for a job late next month. The potential company is in proximity to the hard rock hotel. What is a safe and quiet area to live that I could be able to walk, bike or take the metra to work? What's the best sites to look and what train line is closest to n Michigan area?

I do not want to have a longer commute than 20 minutes each way. My salary will be around $60,000 starting out. I would like to pay around $850-$1,150 or so for a nice one bedroom or two if at all possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I'll have to correct you. If you are in the city, it's called the L, or bus. The metra is a mainly suburban rail system. There's some stops in the city though. All city train lines, except one, converge in the Loop, so that's not hard. For a one bedroom on that budget, you may consider areas like Lakeview, Logan Square, maybe Roscoe Village (MAYBE), Lincoln Square, etc. If you wanted a 2 bedroom for that price, you'd have to go to a quieter neighborhood like Bridgeport.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
That's a tall order as your rent you are looking to pay is a bit low and your commute time also on the short side. I would give up the idea of a 2 bedroom or you will likely not get your commute time down to anywhere near that low and you will be bored out of your mind living in a lame hood. I'd either look along the red line el or the brown line el since those are the nearest el lines but 20 mins north on the el from vicinity of Wacker and Michigan is still pretty high rent district.

Along N Lakeshore Dr since the express buses will go by your prospective employer along Michigan Ave is a possibility, but that will almost certainly be more than 20 mins, especially in bad traffic. Maybe you could find something due west of downtown (Riverwest?) and take a cross-town bus like Grand Ave and be sort of close to that commute time but it would probably be a bit longer. All of the neighborhoods the previous poster mentioned, while solid picks, will be more than 20 mins to downtown along the el. If possible try out the commute during rush hour, a weekend might not give you a realistic picture.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
That's a tall order as your rent you are looking to pay is a bit low and your commute time also on the short side. I would give up the idea of a 2 bedroom or you will likely not get your commute time down to anywhere near that low and you will be bored out of your mind living in a lame hood. I'd either look along the red line el or the brown line el since those are the nearest el lines but 20 mins north on the el from vicinity of Wacker and Michigan is still pretty high rent district.
Well maybe it's 25 minutes, but you can find 1 bedroom apartments in Lakeview for the OP's budget. People for some reason think the rent there is all extremely high. You can still find it there and actually you will find some on that budget in Lincoln Park (not a ton, but some).

I guess factoring in walking time, waiting time, etc then yeah it's kind of tough maybe. I live in Gold Coast, my office is near the Sears Tower and best case scenario while taking the train just a few stops, and walking a half mile is 15 minutes.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well maybe it's 25 minutes, but you can find 1 bedroom apartments in Lakeview for the OP's budget. People for some reason think the rent there is all extremely high. You can still find it there and actually you will find some on that budget in Lincoln Park (not a ton, but some).
Lakeview will depend on what the OP's definition of "nice" is. The ones available for that price range in Lakeview will most likely be smaller and or not recently updated.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Lakeview will depend on what the OP's definition of "nice" is. The ones available for that price range in Lakeview will most likely be smaller and or not recently updated.
For the upper range it'll be mid level. You can get something decent for $1150, but not luxury or anything (correct).

Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The only way to have 20 minute walk to N. Michigan Ave. is by living in Illinois Center / "new east side".

Budget seems lie for that.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 AM

40 posts, read 50,436 times
Rogers Park
Edgewater
Uptown (Sheridan Park or Buena Park)
Southport Corridor
West Ridge
Norwood Park
Jefferson Park
Lincoln Park (West of Clark Street)
Forest Glen (Depends where it is safe but the People are weird)
North Park
Bowmanville
Lincoln Square
North Center
Roscoe Village
Old Irving
Avondale
Little Italy (Taylor Street)

You can get 1 or 2 bedroom apartments within your price range in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago