Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

I believe the southeast does a better job of integration than the Midwest and the Northeast.

Newer smaller cities tend to be better integrated than older cities. When people move to establish a neighborhood tend to be less divided by race. The most integrated cities on a block by block analysis Virginia Beach, Charlotte & Nashville. They all seem to be very transient new cities. The African American community tend to not have ties to a specific neighborhoods and also have a higher level of education than great migration rust belt cities like Chicago and New York who have been loosing African American population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
When our weather kills us rather than inconveniencing our lives, it becomes a negative.

Define "cold"
Only a few people are killed but everyone is cold.

Lows in the lower 40's with rain. Then in a couple of weeks November.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Only a few people are killed but everyone is cold.

Lows in the lower 40's with rain. Then in a couple of weeks November.
"Everyone" is cold? Have you ever heard the phrase "I am from Chicago and 40 degrees is NOT cold?"

It's all perception. Some like 4 Seasons. Some like summer year round. Our geographical location makes the latter impossible. But our summers are NOT cold and they are not horribly humid like the South.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
That is a very general and false statement. SOME parts of the north side are largely white, but areas like Rogers Park, Uptown, Albany Park, Lincoln Square, etc., have probably a more diverse range than the south and west sides (on the far north side, you've got Indians/ Southern Asians, Hispanics, Eastern Asians, Blacks, and Whites). So to say "The north side is nearly all white" is just a delusional generalization. The south side is pretty much all black, excluding a few hispanic and white communities and Chinatown. Other than that, EVERYTHING is black. That's not diverse either.
Okay, but do you think it's like that because black people want it that way? Seriously? As a young black professional working in a nearly all white office, I cannot tell you how many times fellow colleagues joke about visiting the south side, and are actually scared to do so.

Yes, some parts are bad. But not everything south of the South Loop is "bad". Get a grip people.

Last edited by nj21; 10-02-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Okay, but do you think it's like that because black people want it that way? Seriously? As a young black professional working in a nearly all white office, I cannot tell you how many times fellow colleagues joke about visiting the south side, and are actually scared to do so.

Yes, some parts are bad. But not everything south of the South Loop is "bad". Get a grip people.
I work in Hyde Park and I agree. I like hanging out in Mt. Greenwood. Beverly is also beautiful. Some of the finest architecture in the city and low crime. However these tend to be islands and surrounded by higher crime areas. Go east of Beverly and you are in Morgan Park, which is typical South Side. Mt. Greenwood is not an island as Beverly is next to it as is Oak Lawn and Merionette Park. Hyde Park is the notorious South Side island that people always say "don't go south of 59th, west of Cottage Grove, or north of 47th". If I would live in the city for life, I'd probably pick Beverly or Mt. Greenwood.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:52 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
For the OP: Can you at least tell us where you're moving to?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:49 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
For the OP: Can you at least tell us where you're moving to?
i'm just hoping and praying he doesn't say skokie

Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i'm just hoping and praying he doesn't say skokie
Heh. I ran a business in Skokie for a while. I had it with Skokie.

Leaving Illinois. Going to Western Michigan, along the Lake.

I wanted to originally move to Canada but immigration there is a no-go.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 10-03-2014 at 06:52 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Heh. I ran a business in Skokie for a while. I had it with Skokie.

Leaving Illinois. Going to Western Michigan, along the Lake.

I wanted to originally move to Canada but immigration there is a no-go.
To Eddie from Ed: short of the climate, Western Michigan along the lake is pretty close to paradise. What a gorgeous stretch of real estate.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
To Eddie from Ed: short of the climate, Western Michigan along the lake is pretty close to paradise. What a gorgeous stretch of real estate.
The snow is going to be brutal. But I do love me their mild summers. Also love cloudy days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago