Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:53 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Again, read the Census data. Average rents in the Bay Area are below $1,700. It may just be that your standard of "slum" means anything below-average, which would make sense.

Or you are just looking in core areas, which obviously will be more expensive than something in the middle of nowhere.
This article came out from the Tribune today, and they've pegged Chicago area rents at $1100. They have SF rents sitting at $2,173. Since the article had been talking about the Chicago area instead of just the city itself, I'm going to assume that they're talking about the SF metro. Whether they're talking about the whole Bay Area though instead of just the SF MSA is uncertain.
Chicago-area rents rise; occupancy stays steady - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
This article came out from the Tribune today, and they've pegged Chicago area rents at $1100. They have SF rents sitting at $2,173. Since the article had been talking about the Chicago area instead of just the city itself, I'm going to assume that they're talking about the SF metro. Whether they're talking about the whole Bay Area though instead of just the SF MSA is uncertain.
Chicago-area rents rise; occupancy stays steady - Chicago Tribune
SF MSA would include Oakland, Berkeley, and Down to Hayward. The San Jose MSA would not be included. If it were, it might even tend to skew the numbers higher, as it includes many of the stratospherically priced Peninsula communities. I would venture to guess that the Bay Area CSA is around $2000-$2200 or so, based on your numbers.

The City of San Francisco, itself, is reported as above $3,000 for its median. I have not seen an average reported in over a year, though.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:29 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times
A friend of mine lives in Lincoln Park in a studio and pays $700 a month, granted it is a ground unit.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:35 PM

97 posts, read 152,415 times
Okay, let's not turn this thread into a "price of rent in Chicago" thread.

The main reason I ask the question is I am wondering if the 25-30 year old people that live in Lincoln park, Lakeview, and Old Town are supporting their lifestyle with their own earned income, or if their lifestyle is subsidized by their parents, trust fund, etc.

I know there are no official stats on this, so please just share your personal experiences.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:56 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
i don't know any bros in Lincoln Park but I know a handful of people whose parents helped or outright bought them a place in Wicker Park / Bucktown / UK Village back in the late 90s and early 2000s. LP rents aren't all that expensive so I don't see why a finance bro would have any issue especially if it was a shared apartment situation.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

Only "Trixie" I ever heard of was Ed Norton's wife on The Honeymooners. Oh, and in the Hi and Lois comic strip, wasn't the baby named Trixie?
What about Speed Racer's girlfriend????

Old 10-04-2014, 11:53 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
What about Speed Racer's girlfriend????
Right, there are two trixies.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:18 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
Okay, let's not turn this thread into a "price of rent in Chicago" thread.

The main reason I ask the question is I am wondering if the 25-30 year old people that live in Lincoln park, Lakeview, and Old Town are supporting their lifestyle with their own earned income, or if their lifestyle is subsidized by their parents, trust fund, etc.

I know there are no official stats on this, so please just share your personal experiences.
Nearly all of my friends live in Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, or Lakeview (majority are in Lakeview), and everyone is either supporting themselves and or is currently in some form of graduate program so the government is technically supporting them. Only one of said friends is currently being supported by a parent.

The lifestyle in those neighborhoods isn't really that hard to achieve, and it honestly doesn't cost *that* much money if you know what you're doing. As long as you're not getting bottle service every time you go out, it's actually quite easy to live in the area (especially Lakeview) on a budget and still go out all the time.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:41 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The lifestyle in those neighborhoods isn't really that hard to achieve, and it honestly doesn't cost *that* much money if you know what you're doing. As long as you're not getting bottle service every time you go out, it's actually quite easy to live in the area (especially Lakeview) on a budget and still go out all the time.
Overheard on the street (in Lakeview) awhile back, one young "Trixie" type, talking to another: "So, the rent is, like, a thousand a month, but that just means I'll have to stop going out on Mondays."

Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
People are claiming the median in SF is $1700/month? Since when? 1998? I have many friends in SF and even when I tell them about 1 bedrooms for $2300/month in Chicago they just say "oh wow, that's a great deal!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago