Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Upstate NY has better winters than Chicago? LOL Thats a new one!

As for Tucson, its winters are pretty mild, but can get snow too. Of course it doesnt stick around long, but if you think AZ has the mildest winters, youre dead wrong. While youre at a warm-ish 60 high and 40 low, Miami is basking in the 80s. Compared to south Florida, AZ's winters are downright freeeeezing cold, especially at night. And from May to October, your humidity levels are usually under 10%, sometimes 0%, NEVER 90% (even with the arrival of the monsoons).

As for the OP, if youre a winter wuss (as most people are), may I suggest you live in Florida or maybe SoCal or AZ. But then be prepared for miserably hot and long summers.

I'm pretty sure the dude was saying that upstate NY has more severe winters than Chicago, while the city doesn't. Which is true. I looked up some numbers, to prepare myself, it snows more and is colder in upstate NY than in Chicago. But NYC's winters are absolutely milder, just look at some stats.

People tend to think that it snows a lot more in NYC than it actually does, I've noticed. Movies and TV shows set in New York during wintertime always have snow on the ground, which is sort of a false picture. It does snow here, and while amounts vary greatly from winter to winter, it generally doesn't snow THAT often. Moreover, when it does snow, it usually melts pretty quickly, as it's rarely below freezing for more than three or four days at a time. I'm 23, I've lived in New York my whole life, and I think I've seen three white Christmases, for example. The temperature drops below zero maybe once a decade.

Of course we do get some serious, brutal cold. On the whole, Chicago's winters are considerably more severe, but not to the point that a New Yorker would have a massive amount of difficulty adjusting. At least that's what I hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I'm pretty sure the dude was saying that upstate NY has more severe winters than Chicago, while the city doesn't. Which is true. I looked up some numbers, to prepare myself, it snows more and is colder in upstate NY than in Chicago. But NYC's winters are absolutely milder, just look at some stats.

People tend to think that it snows a lot more in NYC than it actually does, I've noticed. Movies and TV shows set in New York during wintertime always have snow on the ground, which is sort of a false picture. It does snow here, and while amounts vary greatly from winter to winter, it generally doesn't snow THAT often. Moreover, when it does snow, it usually melts pretty quickly, as it's rarely below freezing for more than three or four days at a time. I'm 23, I've lived in New York my whole life, and I think I've seen three white Christmases, for example. The temperature drops below zero maybe once a decade.

Of course we do get some serious, brutal cold. On the whole, Chicago's winters are considerably more severe, but not to the point that a New Yorker would have a massive amount of difficulty adjusting. At least that's what I hope
I would definitely agree that NYCs winters are a bit milder, no doubt. I might have misunderstood, but I thought that poster was saying that upstate NY has better winters than CHI, which I would wholeheartedly disagree. NYCs storms seem to be alot more severe, and occur more also. We get several more days of below freezing temps than they do, but our storms seem to be weaker.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:18 PM

128 posts, read 172,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
Car accidents everywhere today.....slush everywhere...

yeah I am tired of winter!!! it sucks!! Chicago sucks when it's snowing and you gotta drive 75 miles a day!!

San Diego...if you were cheaper I would be there
Me too! But I'm heading back to Tempe in a few days, so the bad weather won't really won't start bothering me again until about the middle of May. But then again, pools are far more abudant in Phoenix than in Chicago, so that won't even be a problem.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:47 PM

33 posts, read 163,248 times
steve-o & neon--

I was indeed saying the upstate NY winters are MORE severe, not LESS, than Chicago.

PS, I'm a girl, not a "dude"

Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Upstate NY has better winters than Chicago? LOL Thats a new one!

As for Tucson, its winters are pretty mild, but can get snow too. Of course it doesnt stick around long, but if you think AZ has the mildest winters, youre dead wrong. While youre at a warm-ish 60 high and 40 low, Miami is basking in the 80s. Compared to south Florida, AZ's winters are downright freeeeezing cold, especially at night. And from May to October, your humidity levels are usually under 10%, sometimes 0%, NEVER 90% (even with the arrival of the monsoons).

As for the OP, if youre a winter wuss (as most people are), may I suggest you live in Florida or maybe SoCal or AZ. But then be prepared for miserably hot and long summers.
Weather in upstate NY is snowier, but Chicago is probably colder, either way I like the weather in both places

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
Car accidents everywhere today.....slush everywhere...

yeah I am tired of winter!!! it sucks!! Chicago sucks when it's snowing and you gotta drive 75 miles a day!!

San Diego...if you were cheaper I would be there
You could always move to the Phoenix, Arizona area. Lots of jobs and the weather is a lot warmer. Oh and it is cheap to live there too. You can buy a home for under $200,000 (The new home I am buying is now selling for $169,000.) There are lots of rentals in the area also from $300 a month and on up.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You could always move to the Phoenix, Arizona area. Lots of jobs and the weather is a lot warmer. Oh and it is cheap to live there too. You can buy a home for under $200,000 (The new home I am buying is now selling for $169,000.) There are lots of rentals in the area also from $300 a month and on up.
Yeah, but you forget to mention that Phoenix is a terrible place to live! It's basically a hot strip mall (to borrow a phrase from a former post).

Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yeah, but you forget to mention that Phoenix is a terrible place to live! It's basically a hot strip mall (to borrow a phrase from a former post).
I love the Phoenix area. We are having a home built there right now in the city of Surprise, a subburb of Phoenix. Saying that Phoenix is a hot strip mall is a lot like me saying that Chicago is a washed up old town. Both are not true. I also love Chicago. My mom grew up there and we visited when I was a kid. Haven't been there in 20 years though. Reading the threads it is nice to see that so many new areas are being built, or that young urban professionals are moving into the area. Anytime you have growth that is a good thing for a city and community. Phoenix is more of a California kind of city than even an Arizona city. So many have left So Cal for Phoenix. Surprise reminds me of a young Thousand Oaks, California or like a lot of cities in the Orange County area just without the ocean. What they are missing is the cool downtown area that you all have in Chicago. I love that place.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:45 PM

128 posts, read 172,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
"a hot strip mall"

Now there is post that is just full of wisdom and knowledge.

Then what does that make Chicagland? A cold/humid strip mall? I'm going to be honest here. There are far more commercial outlets within the suburbs of Chicago than anything Phoenix has yet to dish out. The people of Chicagoland are far more into themselves when it comes to retail, then anything that I have seen in Arizona. The only difference is, people hide behind the fact that Chicago has a skyline, and a downtown. Oh, and a few Fortune 500 companies. But then again, Houston has more, and Houston is smaller than Chicago! LOL! Even if your statement had any truth to it, I would glady take strip mall chaos, than anything that comes from the massive ghetto that is southern, and western Chicago. Heck, even the northern parts are seeing an upsurge in crime. Kinda sad when New York is so much bigger than Chi-town, yet has far less crime.

By the way, if it is such a terrible place to live, why one earth do so many prior Chicago residents call it home? Why are current Chicago residents flooding our streets, and paying for our growing infrastructure, TODAY!? Why is it the fastest growing place in the nation? Why have its suburbs been rated time and time again as the best places to live in nation? Why is Phoenix going to pass Chicago in population shortly? Why is Phoenix able to sustain suburbs that have populations that are bigger than other nasty, Rust Belt, midwest cities?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
Why is Phoenix able to sustain suburbs that have populations that are bigger than other nasty, Rust Belt, midwest cities?
"Sustainable" remains to be seen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago