Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
, I would glady take strip mall chaos, than anything that comes from the massive ghetto that is southern, and western Chicago. Heck, even the northern parts are seeing an upsurge in crime. Kinda sad when New York is so much bigger than Chi-town, yet has far less crime.
Right.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22421589/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Can this arguement end already?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:22 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
"a hot strip mall"

Now there is post that is just full of wisdom and knowledge.

Then what does that make Chicagland? A cold/humid strip mall? I'm going to be honest here. There are far more commercial outlets within the suburbs of Chicago than anything Phoenix has yet to dish out. The people of Chicagoland are far more into themselves when it comes to retail, then anything that I have seen in Arizona. The only difference is, people hide behind the fact that Chicago has a skyline, and a downtown. Oh, and a few Fortune 500 companies. But then again, Houston has more, and Houston is smaller than Chicago! LOL! Even if your statement had any truth to it, I would glady take strip mall chaos, than anything that comes from the massive ghetto that is southern, and western Chicago. Heck, even the northern parts are seeing an upsurge in crime. Kinda sad when New York is so much bigger than Chi-town, yet has far less crime.

By the way, if it is such a terrible place to live, why one earth do so many prior Chicago residents call it home? Why are current Chicago residents flooding our streets, and paying for our growing infrastructure, TODAY!? Why is it the fastest growing place in the nation? Why have its suburbs been rated time and time again as the best places to live in nation? Why is Phoenix going to pass Chicago in population shortly? Why is Phoenix able to sustain suburbs that have populations that are bigger than other nasty, Rust Belt, midwest cities?
Wow, haha. Someone really needs to get over themselves.

For whatever it's worth....

The Chicago metro area has around 50% more fortune 500 companies than Houston.

Phoenix's current growth rate will have it hitting around 2,333,337 residents in 2025, which will still be hundreds of thousands short of Chicago.

Crime in Chicago is lower than it's been in over 40 years, Chicago and Phoenix have roughly the same murder rate, and property crime rates in Phoenix are 30.7% higher than Chicago. New York is by FAR the safest big city in the country, so nothing really compares with them.

Phoenix isn't sustaining suburbs, they've all practically been built in the past 30 years. You have to give it time before you can analyze. Chicago's suburbs have gained roughly 1,500,000 people since 1990, and the reason Phoenix's suburbs have more people per suburb is because we have 250-300 smaller suburbs and Phoenix has a fraction of that number, they're just massive in area.

Anyone who has seen more than 2 of your posts knows you have a very deep and personal problem with Chicago. That's fine and all, everyone is perfectly inclined to their opinions, but your random negativity on multiple Chicago threads (from someone living in Phoenix with no plans on moving to Chicago) are unwarrented and unhelpful to people looking for solid information. This isn't a city vs. city contest. I know you absolutely love Phoenix to death, and that's fine, but you need to let it go with Chicago. She's moved on.

Anyway....carry on

Last edited by Chicago60614; 12-31-2007 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 08:30 PM

128 posts, read 172,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Wow, haha. Someone really needs to get over themselves.

For whatever it's worth....

The Chicago metro area has around 50% more fortune 500 companies than Houston.

Phoenix's current growth rate will have it hitting around 2,333,337 residents in 2025, which will still be hundreds of thousands short of Chicago.

Crime in Chicago is lower than it's been in over 40 years, Chicago and Phoenix have roughly the same murder rate, and property crime rates in Phoenix are 30.7% higher than Chicago. New York is by FAR the safest big city in the country, so nothing really compares with them.

Phoenix isn't sustaining suburbs, they've all practically been built in the past 30 years. You have to give it time before you can analyze. Chicago's suburbs have gained roughly 1,500,000 people since 1990, and the reason Phoenix's suburbs have more people per suburb is because we have 250-300 smaller suburbs and Phoenix has a fraction of that number, they're just massive in area.

Anyone who has seen more than 2 of your posts knows you have a very deep and personal problem with Chicago. That's fine and all, everyone is perfectly inclined to their opinions, but your random negativity on multiple Chicago threads (from someone living in Phoenix with no plans on moving to Chicago) are unwarrented and unhelpful to people looking for solid information. This isn't a city vs. city contest. I know you absolutely love Phoenix to death, and that's fine, but you need to let it go with Chicago. She's moved on.

Anyway....carry on
There are so many things that are wrong with this post I'm not even sure where to begin. But hey, I'll try my best to discredit you.

First off, when did I ever mention Chicago metro having more Fortune 500 companies? When you reread what I actually did post, I said that Houston(the city) has more than Chicago(the city). LOL! Nice try though.

Second. Who said anything about a time limit on the word "shortly" meaning only abot fifteen years from now. Considering how long civilization has been going now, I think using fifteen years to describe 'short' is a little uneducated. I don't remember ever reading in any historic or modern text of any city that grew by that amount in fifteen years. But hey, Im glad your an optomist!

Third. When did I say anything about the crime in Phoenix? If you read real carefully you will see that I did compare New York to Chicago! LOL! So I guess it is ok, that eery Chicago poster on this site, compare Chi-town to NYC as much as they like, when it looks good for the Windy City. But when it comes to crime, well!, "nothing compares to them."

Fourth. I'm sorry, but I guess you must have forgotten about the nice big suburbs of Chicago. I'll refress your memory. Elgin, Aurora, Naperville, Joliet, and Shaumburg. That is really funny that you mention how the suburbs of Phoenix have only grown within the past thirty years, so there isn't anyway to "analzye" them. But yet, if I were to say the same about any of the others I mentioned, (which by the way have all grown within the past thirty years as well), and say that they are self-sufficient from Chicago, I would be laughed right out of Chicagoland!

Fifth. I'm so glad to take the time and see how many of my posts are direct contadictions to what many of the Chicago lovers on this site believe. But I guess you overlooked the part where I stated that I have lived in Chicagoland my entire life up until the start of this past semester. I know the area VERY well. I don't have a massive "problem" with Chicago as you would have everyone to believe. But Chicago and the suburbs do have VERY real problems and issues that for some reason are not talked about to a new questioning poster. We, all know how NO ONE!, from the Chicago forum makes there subtle way over to the Phoenix forum! If you can't take it, don't dish it out!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Can someone lock this post already? This is getting ridiculous.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
It's a weather thread, any more posts not about the weather specifically will be deleted.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 AM

17 posts, read 39,411 times
If you want to experience really crappy weather move to Wisconsin. It is currently 3 degrees and the wind is blowing so hard I can't see across the street. Oh yeah, we have also have 3 feet of snow. Go Badgers!!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
The weather is what makes Chicago the great city that it is. That's why spring and summer are the best times to be in Chicago!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
The weather is what makes Chicago the great city that it is. That's why spring and summer are the best times to be in Chicago!
Fall too.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yeah, but you forget to mention that Phoenix is a terrible place to live! It's basically a hot strip mall (to borrow a phrase from a former post).
LOL@ hot strip mall! I lived in Tucson for almost 8 years, and visited Phoenix several times a year. Besides the rolling hills/mountains with gorgeous sunsets and amazing homes, that's pretty much Phoenix--I can't disagree. And throw in traffic, sprawl, and a total lack of community in most areas in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago