Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:02 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Kind of a racist comment, but to evaluate it:

Glen Ellyn D41 ISAT Reading m/e %

White -- 87%

African American -- 42%

Hispanic -- 55%

Asian -- 63%

So at this district, the white students perform better. But at both districts, there's an achievement gap between whites/Asians and Hispanic/African American. I think you'd find that to be the case at most districts.
I have a pretty intimate view of D41, and a lot of the kids classified as "Asian" in this district come from low-income backgrounds. And regretfully adding to the stereotype, but illustrating the fact that Asia is a BIG continent, most of the "Asians" in D41 are "south Asian" instead of "east Asian" (not super relevant, but not really what the other poster had in mind with his sort of racist comment). This is not Cupertino, CA where the booming tech industry has flooded the schools with well-off South Korean math geniuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Have you figured out which selective enrollment tier you live in yet?

Here is the unofficial map put together by WTTW:

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...Y0tYf#map:id=3

And here are the cut off scores for each of the selective-enrollment schools (link below). We were in tier 4 (like most of the nicer North Side neighborhoods), which means both of our kids would have needed nearly perfect scores on the selective enrollment test to get in to the high schools we liked.

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/sites...02014-2015.pdf
Yes, we're in a tier 4. We knew that going in, we are prepared to pay for private HS if needed.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Lack of parental involvement in the S and W sides is a major contributing factor to the poorly performing students in those areas.
With the huge problem of out of wedlock children and single parent households in the black community, this isn't surprising.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes, we're in a tier 4. We knew that going in, we are prepared to pay for private HS if needed.
I wonder if the effect of this will be people trying to "game the system" by moving to low-income neighborhoods when their kids are in eighth grade... It might be worth it to rent an apartment for a year in a tier 1 census tract to lower the hurdles for their kids. Of course, if enough high-income people move to a census tract, the whole neighborhood would probably slide up a tier or two.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I wonder if the effect of this will be people trying to "game the system" by moving to low-income neighborhoods when their kids are in eighth grade... It might be worth it to rent an apartment for a year in a tier 1 census tract to lower the hurdles for their kids. Of course, if enough high-income people move to a census tract, the whole neighborhood would probably slide up a tier or two.
LOL!!! That would be a nice income diversity tool. Sort of a twisted version of the Oak Park Regional Housing Center Unfortunately, I bet you'll be able to count the number of affirmative moves from Tier 4 to Tier 1 on one hand. Mainly using your fist.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:44 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Everyone pays taxes, "hardworking" or not (and I'm frankly sick of people using the term "hardworking" like it's a badge of honour), and everyone deserves a chance to make their neighbourhood livable.
No. I'm not "above anybody else", I'm not claiming superiority, all I'm saying is I work, which is something that not a lot of people want to do these days, and most of the time can't. I'm not in the growing demographic of people sitting back collecting welfare checks all day while the economy continues to plummet and unemployment continues to skyrocket. If you pay taxes, you should have a say. But, if you don't, you really should just shut your trap about how any money the city has should be used.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
No. I'm not "above anybody else", I'm not claiming superiority, all I'm saying is I work, which is something that not a lot of people want to do these days, and most of the time can't. I'm not in the growing demographic of people sitting back collecting welfare checks all day while the economy continues to plummet and unemployment continues to skyrocket. If you pay taxes, you should have a say. But, if you don't, you really should just shut your trap about how any money the city has should be used.
Unemployment is actually plummeting.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
LOL!!! That would be a nice income diversity tool. Sort of a twisted version of the Oak Park Regional Housing Center Unfortunately, I bet you'll be able to count the number of affirmative moves from Tier 4 to Tier 1 on one hand. Mainly using your fist.
I don't want to encourage anyone to break the law but it is possible to have two homes.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When the Chicago Public Schools are the quality they were in the 1950s, you'll be able to build almost anything you want on the South and West sides and people will come. Until then, well, middle class black people and Hispanics aren't fools. They'd rather live in Berwyn.

I'd like to see a vibrant city on all three sides so let's fix the real problem, and it isn't transportation. Our public transportation system and our streets are fairly good.
The public schools in Chicago in the 50s were not great. I don't know where you got information that says they were good at that time.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The public schools in Chicago in the 50s were not great. I don't know where you got information that says they were good at that time.
I may not have the dates right - it might have been earlier - but there was a time when the best high schools in the state, with the exception of Evanston and New Trier, were in the city, and they sent many graduates to the Ivy League, the top half of the Big Ten, etc.

In New York you could still get an elite education in public school in the 1950s and well into the 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago