Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
It doesn't have Del Taco which has quickly become my favorite fast food restaurant. I love Taco Tuesdays.

In terms of cities, Chicago is a good city to visit, but I would never live there. Hell, I would never move back to the metro area or state. As a nature guy, it seriously lacks which is one of the many reasons I moved away and haven't looked back. I look forward to the once or twice a year I return to visit family and old friends, but in overall quality of life it kicks ass out West, specifically in the PacNW and especially Colorado.

As for the article…
1. Deep dish pizza is a casserole that sits in my stomach like a stone. The crispy thin crust is worth writing about.
3. There is too much crap on those hot dogs, and Vienna Beef is available outside of Chicago.
4. The CTA sucks…
510. There are rarely fireworks unless shootings now count as fireworks…
11. Unless you’re rich, you aren’t sailing.
12. Autumn is awful in the Midwest…it gets cold, overcast, and rainy.
13. There is nothing beautiful about snow and even though where I now live averages twice as much, it doesn’t stick for long (1-2 days) and is usually much lighter and fluffier.
18. That is late. Colorado was close to passing a law that would allow bars stay open until 4:30 am. Surprised it didn’t pass considering weed is legal out here.
19. That is cool.
20. Oh my God…one of the only things I truly miss about Chicago. The Italian beef out here was flavorless and overpriced. I did have a really good Maxwell Street Polish with a Green River out here, but they were really overpriced.
21. *Shrug*
22. NYC as the standard isn’t a high bar. It doesn’t exactly smell like roses in Chicago.
23. For parts of the city that is true…like a tiny area of the Loop…
26. Yay…fields…exciting! Just kidding…outside of farmers or somebody looking to buy land, who spends their day in the fields?
27. Dumb…at DIA you get this (the link) when you enter or exit the airport plus some crazy gargoyles and murals inside the airport:
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...ywj4bwpjpg.jpg
28. Cannot deny that…the architecture is outstanding.
29. What? That is a sad statement.
30. No, you just get financially raped by the county and state, and the city finds other ways to take your money.
31. That is quite the exaggeration.
32. For those that like the theater it is a great city to live.
33. Don’t even know what that is supposed to mean.
34. If driving down LSD is exhilarating then driving down the Oregon Coast Highway, the Pacific Coast Highway, or numerous roads in Colorado or any other drive in the mountains out West will kill you from the amazing views you’ll see.
35. Best Greek food isn’t really a bragging point. Isn’t it goat and its by-products?
36. I like the fountain so I am not going to say anything bad about it.
38. I never really understood the point of gong to the beach…sand gets everywhere and you sit around in the heat getting sunburned.
40. Pretty indifferent with Amazon for all my book needs.
41. Chicago's microbrew scene is small and mediocre...should have written about Binny's. I miss that place.
42. Wow…a single dinosaur plus the museum is a rip off. I was very disappointed when I visited that museum before moving to Denver. We got a dinosaur fight:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hFin2YcysZ...0/IMG_1989.JPG in the dinosaur exhibit in the local science museum and multiple other dinosaur exhibits/museums along the Front Range.
43. It isn’t that impressive.
44. Has this person never travelled outside of Chicago? I know paradise is relative, but I feel bad for the souls that consider that paradise.
45. An ice rink doesn’t make a city great, and the only reason to step on the ice is to play hockey.
46. Ferris wheel and thrill are two words that don’t belong together. I actually hate them because they go to slow.
47. They aren’t just in Chicago…I assume they would only include Chicago area only restaurants?
48. Chicago might have some big festivals, but nothing beats Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
49. They skipped 49…anyways best lighthouse I have seen is in Oregon at Haceta Head. Not a big fan of lighthouses, but seeing that one was amazing.
50. What? You cannot see the stars until you head out to the county and even then it is okay. Best spot is Great Sand Dunes National Park: http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisi...ndDunesO_1.jpg
51. That is just some sentimental bull****…

This article is beyond dumb.
debbie downer - Bing Images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
It doesn't have Del Taco which has quickly become my favorite fast food restaurant. I love Taco Tuesdays.

In terms of cities, Chicago is a good city to visit, but I would never live there. Hell, I would never move back to the metro area or state. As a nature guy, it seriously lacks which is one of the many reasons I moved away and haven't looked back. I look forward to the once or twice a year I return to visit family and old friends, but in overall quality of life it kicks ass out West, specifically in the PacNW and especially Colorado.

As for the article…
1. Deep dish pizza is a casserole that sits in my stomach like a stone. The crispy thin crust is worth writing about.
2. It is a cool park…not going to bash it.
3. There is too much crap on those hot dogs, and Vienna Beef is available outside of Chicago.
4. The CTA sucks…
5. Don’t care about art so it is irrelevant to me.
6. I can only speak for myself, but I am indifferent until the boy wonder works his magic…
7. Don’t care….
8. Packers fan…the Bears make me laugh.
9. Chicago drivers are okay, but then again experiencing the drivers of Washington State (plodders) and Argentina (insanity) it doesn’t really stick out. The streets are narrow.
10. There are rarely fireworks unless shootings now count as fireworks…
11. Unless you’re rich, you aren’t sailing.
12. Autumn is awful in the Midwest…it gets cold, overcast, and rainy.
13. There is nothing beautiful about snow and even though where I now live averages twice as much, it doesn’t stick for long (1-2 days) and is usually much lighter and fluffier.
14. Winters in Chicago aren’t too bad. The worst winters I ever lived through were in the Michigan UP. The winter we had last year was close to an average UP winter. I know winters in the high country can be extremely brutal.
15. Being out West that is funny. I don’t see anything amazing about that.
16. I will admit for a world class city it is affordable.
17. There are a lot of very good institutions of higher education.
18. That is late. Colorado was close to passing a law that would allow bars stay open until 4:30 am. Surprised it didn’t pass considering weed is legal out here.
19. That is cool.
20. Oh my God…one of the only things I truly miss about Chicago. The Italian beef out here was flavorless and overpriced. I did have a really good Maxwell Street Polish with a Green River out here, but they were really overpriced.
21. *Shrug*
22. NYC as the standard isn’t a high bar. It doesn’t exactly smell like roses in Chicago.
23. For parts of the city that is true…like a tiny area of the Loop…
24. It is okay.
25. All steak is good.
26. Yay…fields…exciting! Just kidding…outside of farmers or somebody looking to buy land, who spends their day in the fields?
27. Dumb…at DIA you get this (the link) when you enter or exit the airport plus some crazy gargoyles and murals inside the airport:
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...ywj4bwpjpg.jpg
28. Cannot deny that…the architecture is outstanding.
29. What? That is a sad statement.
30. No, you just get financially raped by the county and state, and the city finds other ways to take your money.
31. That is quite the exaggeration.
32. For those that like the theater it is a great city to live.
33. Don’t even know what that is supposed to mean.
34. If driving down LSD is exhilarating then driving down the Oregon Coast Highway, the Pacific Coast Highway, or numerous roads in Colorado or any other drive in the mountains out West will kill you from the amazing views you’ll see.
35. Best Greek food isn’t really a bragging point. Isn’t it goat and its by-products?
36. I like the fountain so I am not going to say anything bad about it.
37. That is pretty cool.
38. I never really understood the point of gong to the beach…sand gets everywhere and you sit around in the heat getting sunburned.
39. Large parts of the lake are blue.
40. Pretty indifferent with Amazon for all my book needs.
41. Chicago's microbrew scene is small and mediocre...should have written about Binny's. I miss that place.
42. Wow…a single dinosaur plus the museum is a rip off. I was very disappointed when I visited that museum before moving to Denver. We got a dinosaur fight:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hFin2YcysZ...0/IMG_1989.JPG in the dinosaur exhibit in the local science museum and multiple other dinosaur exhibits/museums along the Front Range.
43. It isn’t that impressive.
44. Has this person never travelled outside of Chicago? I know paradise is relative, but I feel bad for the souls that consider that paradise.
45. An ice rink doesn’t make a city great, and the only reason to step on the ice is to play hockey.
46. Ferris wheel and thrill are two words that don’t belong together. I actually hate them because they go to slow.
47. They aren’t just in Chicago…I assume they would only include Chicago area only restaurants?
48. Chicago might have some big festivals, but nothing beats Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
49. They skipped 49…anyways best lighthouse I have seen is in Oregon at Haceta Head. Not a big fan of lighthouses, but seeing that one was amazing.
50. What? You cannot see the stars until you head out to the county and even then it is okay. Best spot is Great Sand Dunes National Park: http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisi...ndDunesO_1.jpg
51. That is just some sentimental bull****…

This article is beyond dumb.
Wow, as jaded as this meticulously-written list makes you seem, it's a good thing you moved.

One thing I will say is that the Denver Museum of Nature and Science isn't even in the same stratosphere of great natural history museums such as the Field Museum, which doesn't have one dinosaur fossil, but nearly an entire wing dedicated to dinosaur fossils. This particular museum, and the collection of museums in Chicago, really set Chicago apart from most of the cities in the U.S.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Some of these things I agree with. Others I ask "what so special about that?" and others I have said "you can do that elsewhere too." Chicago is a great city, but at the same time I feel that these lists at least 50% miss the point.

Also, I hate how these lists only focus on the downtown area usually.
Right. I wish I would see one of these on Facebook, and could be satisfied that the person who put it together had a clue.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:48 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You really shouldn't post things to which you clearly have no knowledge. The Chicago dog was invented by two guys from Vienna, Emil Reichel and Sam Ladany.
Uh, that's fine and all, but it doesn't address any of the two falsehoods you previously posted. Not sure why it matters where some dudes were from? Is chop suey traditional Chinese food because it was invented by some Chinese dudes out west?

Again, condiments on a Chicago hot dog have nothing to do with the condiments on a Central European sausage. You think they put celery salt and sport peppers on a Weisswurst in Vienna? LOL.

And the term "brat" in the American Midwest, has nothing to do with a German bratwurst, which is a totally separate type of sausage than the U.S.-style Wisconsin brat.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:03 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Uh, that's fine and all, but it doesn't address any of the two falsehoods you previously posted. Not sure why it matters where some dudes were from? Is chop suey traditional Chinese food because it was invented by some Chinese dudes out west?

Again, condiments on a Chicago hot dog have nothing to do with the condiments on a Central European sausage. You think they put celery salt and sport peppers on a Weisswurst in Vienna? LOL.

And the term "brat" in the American Midwest, has nothing to do with a German bratwurst, which is a totally separate type of sausage than the U.S.-style Wisconsin brat.
It matters because they used ingredients they were accustomed to using growing up, pickles, onions, mustard, etc. Ketchup wasn't one of those ingredients.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It matters because they used ingredients they were accustomed to using growing up, pickles, onions, mustard, etc. Ketchup wasn't one of those ingredients.
That makes no sense whatsoever. People in Vienna don't eat pickles. Mustard and onions aren't more inherently Austrian than American.

Have you been to Vienna? The typical Vieneese sausages will never have pickles, or onions, or U.S.-style mustard, and will never look like a Chicago dog or a Wisconsin brat. They're American inventions.

The most common sausage you'll find in Austria and southern Germany is called a Weisswurst, and it's not really similar to any sausage in the U.S. You would have to go to an ethnic butcher to find it in the U.S. In Vienna it would be served totally plain, with a hard roll and spicy mustard on the side.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:15 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever. People in Vienna don't eat pickles. Mustard and onions aren't more inherently Austrian than American.

Have you been to Vienna? The typical Vieneese sausages will never have pickles, or onions, or U.S.-style mustard, and will never look like a Chicago dog or a Wisconsin brat. They're American inventions.

The most common sausage you'll find in Austria and southern Germany is called a Weisswurst, and it's not really similar to any sausage in the U.S. You would have to go to an ethnic butcher to find it in the U.S. In Vienna it would be served totally plain, with a hard roll and spicy mustard on the side.
Yes, pickles are eaten in Vienna. I have been there multiple times. Including two months ago.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,684 times
This thread GOT HIJACKED and became a argument over sausages?? Doesn't matter its origin or exactly as found in Europe? Where some Varity originated, now common in a region of the US? It all BECOMES AMERICANIZED. Though it still maintains the character of where it originated. What condiments might be added in different regions. Still doesn't change the variety of sausage it is.

Seems some infer what you place upon a sausage , toppings? Changes the meat too? Therefore no longer even the same sausage?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
The questions about sausage quality are important ones....just ask George Wendt.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:47 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
guess what? i dont care that pizza in chicago is not the same pizza as in milano italy - I like it!
I also dont care that a vienna sausage is not the same as the one in Vienna - I like it!
same for chop suey, a hamburger, an italian beef, whatever,, imma gonna enjoy it while Debbie Downer doesn't - MORE FOR US!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago