Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 PM

70 posts, read 117,064 times

Advertisements

Im originally from Chicago but moved to Miami in my teenage years. I will be moving back to Chicago next year for community college with a friend/roommate and im looking to live in the South Loop area, also open to University Village, North East Pilsen and Maybe Lower Wicker Park. I want a 1 bedroom from $800-$1,000 or a 2br for $800-1,800 or $2,000. I would prefer something...well anything SOUTH of Roosevelt road. I know the area can get sketchy once you pass soldier field or whatever but Im not worried about crime. Somewhere near McCormick Place? and what do you think of the south loop? I also would prefer not to live in bronzevill or douglas areas which i know are directly south of the south loop. Should I get a car? Im a fashion intern, semi successful youtube channel and my main income is from fashion styling. Last year I made 45k alone. UPDATE: Im now open to the west loop and west town.

Last edited by bahiabrazil; 10-15-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabrazil View Post
Im originally from Chicago but moved to Miami in my teenage years. I will be moving back to Chicago next year for community college with a friend/roommate and im looking to live in the South Loop area, also open to University Village, North East Pilsen and Maybe Lower Wicker Park. I want a 1 bedroom from $800-$1,000 or a 2br for $800-1,800 or $2,000. I would prefer something...well anything SOUTH of Roosevelt road. I know the area can get sketchy once you pass soldier field or whatever but Im not worried about crime. Somewhere near McCormick Place? and what do you think of the south loop? I also would prefer not to live in bronzevill or douglas areas which i know are directly south of the south loop. Should I get a car?
As someone who just recently went hunting for an apartment downtown, I can tell you that your pricing is way off for South Loop. You're not getting anything for those prices in that neighborhood unless it's through a private condo owner renting out their unit. Chicago real estate market has bounced back quite a bit and rents aren't as low as you might remember.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 PM

21 posts, read 32,703 times
Maybe the 2 bed for 2,000, depending on how south you go and still consider yourself "south loop". I don't really think of McCormick place and soldier field to be close to one another in terms of hoods, so not sure where you really want to live...Honestly, in most neighborhoods of the type you mentioned $800 will get you a studio or a tiny 1 bedroom of less than stellar amenities. But, if you are open to areas I really do think 1,800-2,000 for a 2 bed/1 bath is quite doable, except for near south loop, west loop or river west.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:09 AM

50 posts, read 94,493 times
You can find a 2-bedroom for well under $2,000 at 2101 S Michigan. Also look into condo rentals in the area, where you may find a bargain or two.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoChicago View Post
You can find a 2-bedroom for well under $2,000 at 2101 S Michigan. Also look into condo rentals in the area, where you may find a bargain or two.
Just curious...is this still considered South Loop?

Old 10-17-2014, 11:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Just curious...is this still considered South Loop?
yeah kinda but its at the southernmost parts, soon you will be what would be Bronzeville. But east of that is whats called the Prairie District.

After 21st Street going south, its not too pretty on Michigan Ave. Still rather industrial area.

If you go to one of the highrises just south of that Mercy Hospital there, I've taken a tour and it seems pretty good, since lots of docs and med personel who work at Mercy live there. The alderman lives in that complex, not sure if it has changed in the past few years, but may want to check it out. its a couple of highrises, a couple blocks south of Mercy Hosp. there are some lowrises, but its not a housing project, just condos.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I would be careful about heading too far down Michigan Ave. The dominance of the McCormick Place takes over south of 16th St. Not really "unsafe" these days just not a "regular neighborhood" the way stuff is a bit further north...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: