Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 12:28 PM

168 posts, read 197,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
NYC boast the best of everything..... They have the SUPER RATS....
BETTER WATCH OUT THERE IN TEXAS......THOSE MOVING FROM THE NORTH and moving on down MIGHT BE A COMING WITH A FEW CRITTERS.....I don't mean possums......LOL
Texas has feral hogs instead of rats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 11:56 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,431,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Can't say I've seen a rat out and about. But I have seen plenty of them "rat killing" posters on them electric poles.
Same. Those posters may as well be warning people about chupacabras. They always confused me as a child. I may have seen a rat in Chicago three times my entire life, and that's being generous.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:26 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,256,907 times
NYC RATS ARE SUPER. Let them claim better rats then CHICAGO'S too.... lol

New York City's Rats Are Carrying Viruses No One's Seen Before

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/york-c...RUc0gAYbhXNyoA

Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I thought you folks in the windy city would like to know this.

Chicago Named Most Rat-Infested City in USA
That's an awfully misleading article. Chicago actually isn't near the top of rat infested cities. The fact it had the most orkin calls means it has a lot of contracts with that company, and that the idea of rats on your property is not something you would think of as being normal. Rats are such a part of the NYC landscape because of the way the city is laid out and the lack of alleys that rats are much more "normal". People don't instantly call to get rats removed when they see one in NYC, you just roll your eyes.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
I agree the article is misleading. Of course New York is more rat-infested than Chicago.

But to the people who claim they have only ever seen a few rats in the City of Chicago, where have you been? Seriously? How is that possible? I've seen hundreds. Literally hundreds. In alleys, on sidewalks, between buidlings, in parks... I think you are just not looking.

I will never forget one time about ten years ago when I was walking under the Blue Line on Evergreen Avenue in Wicker Park, and it looked like the ground was moving behind a chain-link fence. I took a closer look, and the entire ground was covered with rats who were in some kind of weird feeding frenzy. It looked like a piranha attack on a side of beef, and scared the living crap out of me.

I've had rats jump out of dumpsters when I opened them to throw something away.

I've seen rats literally turn a wood door jamb in to wood chips.

I've seen a rat partially gnaw through a brick wall, enough to dislodge a brick.

I once saw a rat in River North run in to the James Hotel lobby through the revolving door in the middle of the day.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I agree the article is misleading. Of course New York is more rat-infested than Chicago.

But to the people who claim they have only ever seen a few rats in the City of Chicago, where have you been? Seriously? How is that possible? I've seen hundreds. Literally hundreds. In alleys, on sidewalks, between buidlings, in parks... I think you are just not looking.

I will never forget one time when I was walking under the Blue Line on Evergreen Avenue in Wicker Park, and it looked like the ground was moving behind a chain-link fence. I took a closer look, and the entire ground was covered with rats who were in some kind of weird feeding frenzy. It looked like a piranha attack on a side of beef, and scared the living crap out of me.
Really? I've probably seen three rats here in the past 15 years. I see bunnies, robins and squirrels every single day though.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,297,706 times
I seriously have never seen a rat in Chicago but I'll keep my eye open now. I have seen a coyote though.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,137,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
But to the people who claim they have only ever seen a few rats in the City of Chicago, where have you been? Seriously? How is that possible? I've seen hundreds. Literally hundreds. In alleys, on sidewalks, between buidlings, in parks...
Yes, I see them all the time.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I have seen a coyote though.
I'm still waiting to see one of those. Apparently my neighbors saw two of them walk down our street in Glen Ellyn a few weeks ago, which makes me nervous for our dog.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I see bunnies, robins and squirrels every single day though.
We had lots of bunnies in Uptown. They were pretty good about staying still and out of the way of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago