Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 10:55 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,350 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I'm looking to move to Chicago for an amazing work opportunity next year.

Any suggestions where to live close to O'Hare?

I will be working at the airport, so prefer to be in a close OR convenient location, safe and clean neighborhood, close to grocery stores, preferably close to a rail line to get to the city.

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,173 times
How long of a commute do you want, and what is your budget?

You could live anywhere along the blue line since it ends at O'Hare. The employee parking entrance is at the NW corner of the airport at Touhy/Mt. Prospect. Arlington Heights, Mt Prospect, Park Ridge, and Des Plaines would all be convenient suburbs to O'Hare and they have Metra stations with trains to the city. All the suburb areas I mentioned are very safe and clean.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:10 PM

I am looking for a studio/1 bedroom and around 1100$.

Commute-wise I'd like to straddle the fence between being close to the airport but at the same time at a relatively convenient location to the airport. So no further West than the airport probably.

What about the neighborhoods on the blue line? I heard not so good things about Cumberland...
Is Des Plaines pretty clean and safe?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:29 PM

605 posts, read 711,393 times
Yes, Des Plaines is clean and safe. You could also look at Chicago proper, near the Harlem El station. Also very safe and clean). I am partial to Norwood Park which is very upscale. There are some rentals here and there in the neighborhood. Edison Park is nice but it's not so close to the blue line. Not sure if you will have a car or not? If you'll have a car, I would go for Edison Park. They do have a Metra line that can take you into the city easily. Or you can drive to the blue line easily as well for when you want to go into the City for something. Plus Edison Park has a grocery store, several restaurants/bars and so forth right in their downtown. It's also very, very close to downtown Park Ridge which has the Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and lots of other restaurants - also the Starbucks and Panera, et.al.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Yes, Des Plaines is clean and safe. You could also look at Chicago proper, near the Harlem El station. Also very safe and clean). I am partial to Norwood Park which is very upscale. There are some rentals here and there in the neighborhood. Edison Park is nice but it's not so close to the blue line. Not sure if you will have a car or not? If you'll have a car, I would go for Edison Park. They do have a Metra line that can take you into the city easily. Or you can drive to the blue line easily as well for when you want to go into the City for something. Plus Edison Park has a grocery store, several restaurants/bars and so forth right in their downtown. It's also very, very close to downtown Park Ridge which has the Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and lots of other restaurants - also the Starbucks and Panera, et.al.

Awesome!

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks a bunch Bellamouse!

I'll be there in a few weeks to check it out, so I'll look at all of these areas.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Is airport noise an issue in Des Plaines?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Is airport noise an issue in Des Plaines?
Depends on how sensitive your ears are. Des Plaines is mostly north of the airport, and the traffic patterns in and out of the airport are generally east/west, so you're not likely to have as much overhead jet traffic, but it's close enough that you'll generally always hear something, I would imagine.

I live right in the approach departure path but several miles east so the planes are still two or three thousand feet above ground when they pass over, it doesn't bug me. But just north of me in Sauganash people are always complaining about the noise.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Folks,

I'm looking to move to Chicago for an amazing work opportunity next year.

Any suggestions where to live close to O'Hare?

I will be working at the airport, so prefer to be in a close OR convenient location, safe and clean neighborhood, close to grocery stores, preferably close to a rail line to get to the city.

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Park Ridge, Des Plaines and Norwood Park seem look good places to search.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM

118 posts, read 194,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Depends on how sensitive your ears are. Des Plaines is mostly north of the airport, and the traffic patterns in and out of the airport are generally east/west, so you're not likely to have as much overhead jet traffic, but it's close enough that you'll generally always hear something, I would imagine.

I live right in the approach departure path but several miles east so the planes are still two or three thousand feet above ground when they pass over, it doesn't bug me. But just north of me in Sauganash people are always complaining about the noise.
It really depends on the specific area of Des Plaines. There are definitely areas right in the flight path of at least one of the runways and the planes are very low in their approach at that point. The area I'm talking about is in the southern part of town - Estes, Lunt and Greenleaf are three of the streets where we were looking at houses and were bothered by the noise. When I lived further north, by downtown and the Metra station, I never noticed any airport noise.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times
There is no train that will take you from Des Plaines to the airport (there should be a bus though). The nearest blue line station would be Rosemont, one stop before O'Hare. There is a Metra station in downtown DP that will take you to the Loop though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago