Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,376,911 times

Advertisements

Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,063,327 times
Default Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yeah, predictions are worth the screens they're written on but if middle/upper middle class parents didn't take advantage of the schools when they were more demographically balanced and higher scoring, I can't see how that trend reverses absent some kind of Nettelhorst cohort of plucky wealthy soccer moms with a cause and a lot of time on their hands.
There are never gonna be "Nettlehorst" moms in any town like Berwyn if you mean former sorority gals from Big 10 or similar selective admissions colleges that have backgrounds in office oriented careers including finance, PR, consulting and posh corporate legal firms.

NOW THAT DOES NOT mean that there won't be some involved moms / grandmothers that maybe went to UIC or Eastern Illinois and work in medical related fields or maybe even served as public defenders or something...

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” Sonia Sotomayor Quotes - BrainyQuote

But folks got to realize that Chicago is NOT NY and the reality is that there is nothing like Brooklyn's hipster mix / Hispanic heritage to foster that sort of thing. Even in oh-so-politically-progressive Oak Park it is pretty rare to see affluent / activists Hispanic types...

Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,411,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are never gonna be "Nettlehorst" moms in any town like Berwyn if you mean former sorority gals from Big 10 or similar selective admissions colleges that have backgrounds in office oriented careers including finance, PR, consulting and posh corporate legal firms.

NOW THAT DOES NOT mean that there won't be some involved moms / grandmothers that maybe went to UIC or Eastern Illinois and work in medical related fields or maybe even served as public defenders or something...

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” Sonia Sotomayor Quotes - BrainyQuote

But folks got to realize that Chicago is NOT NY and the reality is that there is nothing like Brooklyn's hipster mix / Hispanic heritage to foster that sort of thing. Even in oh-so-politically-progressive Oak Park it is pretty rare to see affluent / activists Hispanic types...
Damn, LOL! Yea, I wasn't very hopeful personally. But I'm trying to be positive because I love Berwyn.

The scenario you cite could play out. However, if you have kids and move them into a school system topped with that cherry we call Morton West, I have to seriously wonder how much you really value education. I don't want to sound snide or elitist but it is what it is.

Now, they might get "involved," whatever that term means, but I wonder if they'll have the horsepressure to hoist test scores up high enough to keep that community out of the "have not" realm. Time will tell.

FWIW, I think that Brooklyn hipster/Hispanic mix will come. But that will be about 30-40 years from now. So if we want to make 2050 predictions, we could incorporate that in our mix!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,860,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Damn, LOL! Yea, I wasn't very hopeful personally. But I'm trying to be positive because I love Berwyn.

The scenario you cite could play out. However, if you have kids and move them into a school system topped with that cherry we call Morton West, I have to seriously wonder how much you really value education. I don't want to sound snide or elitist but it is what it is.

Now, they might get "involved," whatever that term means, but I wonder if they'll have the horsepressure to hoist test scores up high enough to keep that community out of the "have not" realm. Time will tell.

FWIW, I think that Brooklyn hipster/Hispanic mix will come. But that will be about 30-40 years from now. So if we want to make 2050 predictions, we could incorporate that in our mix!

I hope that this doesn't mean that Chicago is 30-40 years behind NYC in everything, although Chicago shouldn't worry about competing in such categories as housing costs, in which it should try to avoid emulating NYC..

Old 10-28-2014, 10:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,411,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
[/b]

I hope that this doesn't mean that Chicago is 30-40 years behind NYC in everything, although Chicago shouldn't worry about competing in such categories as housing costs, in which it should try to avoid emulating NYC..
No, it's just that our Hispanic community in particular is behind. By "behind" I mean in terms of education levels and performance. The Hispanic community in Chicago is predominantly Mexican, with a lot of recent immigrants and limited education among them. I believe the average is about 5 years of schooling for adults who immigrate here from Mexico.

The limited education of the first generation immigrants, coupled with the high drop out rates and the concentration of their children in poorly performing schools (and grandchildren now), has meant limited success for second and even third generation Latinos in this area. College attainment levels even in the fourth generation are quite low (somewhere in the 10% ballpark).

Whether NYC is any better off, I truthfully do not know. I think the issue is nationwide, not exclusive to Chicagoland. I was half joking with the 40-50 year thing. Truth be told, even that may be optimistic. Many believe things are going to magically change and we're going to have a solid Hispanic middle class soon. But unless there's some kind of educational reform, or the middle and upper middle classes stop avoiding schools with larger minority percentages, all signs point to the current cycle continuing to perpetuate.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 AM

6 posts, read 6,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabrazil View Post
I don’t think Chicago will see a major change. I think the population in Chicago will be fairly stable and maybe even go up to 2.8 million people. I think Central Chicago will be more developed and the city will see new high-rises and skyscrapers going up. When it comes to economics I cannot see a major positive trend although you see poor people of color and unemployed college educated youth leaving the city for Texas which will somewhat take the burden on Chicago. I also think there will be a lot of new Latin-American immigrants and they will come to play a major roll after 2020. I have little hope for most of the Midwest but Chicago is actually one of the few cities which may even see some positive trends (set aside the economics) the coming five years.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,846,403 times
Well boys and girls, it's 2020. Is Chicago all you imagined it would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago