Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 PM

83 posts, read 81,113 times

Advertisements

I am currently attending a community college near Des Moines, Iowa. I have lived in a small town my entire life and have wanted to move to a bigger city for a while now. The smart thing I do understand is to stay in-state and finish my education, but that is 3-4 years out if I were to take that route, and a lot can happen in that 3-4 years which could hinder my chances at getting away.

I want that urban feel where there's always something going on. I'm a huge sports fan, so having 2+ major sports team is a must. I am a college student and certainly do not come from a family with a lot of money.

I will be 21 next November, so a good nightlife does matter.

The COL does definitely matter, i'm getting no family help so all the expenses are on me. I do like the four seasons, although the cold can get to be a bit much at times where i'm from (Northern Iowa, close to Minnesota border). In a big city I think it'd be a lot easier to handle than the places i've lived though.

So any input would help. Most important factors would be good colleges, cost of living, sports teams, etc.

Also, does anyone know or have any past experiences of moving to Chicago or Illinois for that matter from out of state and gaining in-state residency for school purposes and what needs to be done/how likely it is to gain it and how long it would take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 05:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Would Chicago be good for you? Yes, if you could handle it, you would have fun in Chicago. However, COL is higher in Chicago for sure - don't move somewhere unless you have a backup plan and don't move to Chicago without money saved up. The last thing you want to do is be homeless in Chicago when you aren't used a bigger, more urban city.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 PM

83 posts, read 81,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Would Chicago be good for you? Yes, if you could handle it, you would have fun in Chicago. However, COL is higher in Chicago for sure - don't move somewhere unless you have a backup plan and don't move to Chicago without money saved up. The last thing you want to do is be homeless in Chicago when you aren't used a bigger, more urban city.
How much do I need saved up you think? To cover a few months rent or what?

The plan is to move to a city next year, whether that's Chicago, or a place like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, KC, Cleveland, etc. Don't care for the small town vibe that is around where I live. Des Moines wouldn't be terrible, but not sure.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
How much do I need saved up you think? To cover a few months rent or what?

The plan is to move to a city next year, whether that's Chicago, or a place like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, KC, Cleveland, etc. Don't care for the small town vibe that is around where I live. Des Moines wouldn't be terrible, but not sure.
Depends on where you'd want to live but if you moved to Chicago without a job, you'd probably want to save at least a few thousand dollars up first. Let's say $3000. Even the cheapest places you'll be paying say $500/month with roommates let's say. Then you have to pay for food, transit, etc on top of that and probably your cell phone. Let's call that $850/month. Of course you probably want to keep money in case it doesn't work out and you need to move back.

It also depends on what you would settle for. Since you don't have a college degree yet, you'd need to probably not work the most glamorous jobs. Education is important though. I know you don't like Des Moines (trust me, I know. I went to college not too far from there) but in the end, you will be better off by getting your degree first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: