Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states do you consider the Midwest?
Illinois 51 92.73%
Indiana 49 89.09%
Michigan 46 83.64%
Ohio 44 80.00%
Wisconsin 49 89.09%
Minnesota 49 89.09%
Iowa 48 87.27%
North Dakota 21 38.18%
South Dakota 21 38.18%
Nebraska 32 58.18%
Kansas 30 54.55%
Missouri 38 69.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 PM

70 posts, read 116,983 times

Advertisements

IMO Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, ohio, Michigan are the real Midwest(all touching a lake).. the others are just extra to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
My prospective is different. The Midwest feeds the nation and a large part of the world. Iowa and Illnois, as an example, are the #1 and #2 producers of corn and beans. The Midwest is known for ia few other things such as great plains, great rivers, great lakes, great forests, great parks, great architecture, great medical care, high cliffs, rolling twisting hills, awesome scenery, good food, family entertainment, and generally friendly folks. Door County, Wi. the Illinois River Valley, and Oklahoma's Green Country in OK are noted for heavy forests, high rolling hills, and and large bodies of water that are not part of The Great Lakes, although other parts of it may have also been formed during that time.

IL and OK have a strong connection through Native American history. IL also has a srong connection to the Mound Dwellers in Ohio. In the Midwest Barnes-Jewish Hospital, the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and OSF in Peoria have Gold awards from News Week. The others are on the East and West coasts.

One cannot compare Chicago to any except a city of comparable size. There isn't any in the Midwest. However there are more than one similarity between Peoria and Chicago. Both sprawl for miles along the shore of a large body of water. The largest and second largest Jewish communities in Illinois are in both. And both have very diverse religious communities, large parks, and culturally diverse population. Tulsa has much the same as it sprawls along the Illinois River in Oklahoma, but it does not have the vast religious diversity Illinois does. However, Oklahoma is home to the largest number of federally recognized native tribes in America.

Genealogy research provides a very different picture of the United States and particularly in the Midwest. Many are Scandanavian and European.My maternal ancestors and their descendants lived in NY. NJ, PA. OH, IN, and IL..Some of the uncles lived in Ohio trekked to KS, ND, and OK between 1663 and 1925. My paternal aunt married a man whose ancestors were from Sweden. They settled in Minnesota. My paternal ancestors were in VA, NC, GA, and TN before settling in Illinois. The first black slave that was kidnapped in Africa was deposited in the New World before 1600. S/he learned their language of their new family which was very often Dutch. .

Politics aside, outside of St. Louis County, Mo is southern, and outside of Tulsa Ok is southern and western due to the TX, AR, and NM influence. . I think there is much to learn before we make a blanket statement that X and Y should be excluded from Midwest as we really do have some deep ancient roots in those states. .

Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,048,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabrazil View Post
IMO Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, ohio, Michigan are the real Midwest(all touching a lake).. the others are just extra to me.
New York touches Lake Ontario and Buffalo has more in common with Chicago than it does with Rapid City, SD. Is NY State the Midwest?

Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
In the book "11 Nations of America" the author does indeed put all the cities touching the great lakes into the same category of "Yankeedom."

Forget The 50 States; The U.S. Is Really 11 Nations, Author Says : NPR

Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
In the book "11 Nations of America" the author does indeed put all the cities touching the great lakes into the same category of "Yankeedom."

Forget The 50 States; The U.S. Is Really 11 Nations, Author Says : NPR
Interesting he calls New York City by New Netherland when every Dutch American knows that true New Netherland is West Michigan. Dutch isn't even a very large ancestry group in New York City. I pass on that map as it makes not much sense. I get that at one point it was New Netherland, but that ship has sailed and landed on the Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Interesting he calls New York City by New Netherland when every Dutch American knows that true New Netherland is West Michigan. Dutch isn't even a very large ancestry group in New York City. I pass on that map as it makes not much sense. I get that at one point it was New Netherland, but that ship has sailed and landed on the Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan.
Russell Shorto has a decent book about the Dutch influence on NYC.

The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America: Russell Shorto: 9781400078677: Amazon.com: Books

His other book about Amsterdam itself is pretty good too.

I'd rate both of them around 3.8/5.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Russell Shorto has a decent book about the Dutch influence on NYC.

The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America: Russell Shorto: 9781400078677: Amazon.com: Books

His other book about Amsterdam itself is pretty good too.

I'd rate both of them around 3.8/5.
I know full well of the Dutch influence in New York City. It ain't there anymore, the only exception is still in their regional dialect which is very Dutch sounding. The New York accent has many Dutch-isms to this day. Kind of like the Southwest has influences of Spain yet this 11 region map doesn't call the SW New Spain.

However, other than dialect and placenames, the Dutch in NYC are practically non-existent. Dutch culture certainly isn't there. When people think culture of New York they think Jews, Italians, Irish, Puerto Rican, and West Indian. They don't think Dutch. I guess the most thing left would be immigrants from the Dutch West Indies. If you look at ethnic maps charting Dutch ancestry in the US, the heaviest areas are Western Michigan and Northwest Iowa. New York City isn't even significant by any means.

Calling New York City Dutch is like calling Los Angeles Spaniard. At one point NYC was the hub of the Dutch in America just like LA was to Spaniards. Nowadays that is gone just like Spaniards in the Southwest became a minority (pure Spaniards I mean, not people with Spaniard blood which is a lot of people in the SW) and assimilated into the Southwestern culture. However, the Dutch culture is alive and well in West Michigan and Northwest Iowa.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:51 PM

I just thought they were interesting books.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Philadelphia is not a whole lot like Portland, ME, but they're still both in the Northeast..

Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,597,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabrazil View Post
IMO Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, ohio, Michigan are the real Midwest(all touching a lake)..
That makes them "the real Great Lakes Area," not "the real Midwest." You have your definitions confused.

Minnesota also borders the Great Lakes, by the way, as do New York and Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago