Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,142,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
None of the hipsters I know call themselves hipsters.
But they still can, nobody is stopping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,807,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What would you recommend they do for public transportation in the area? Expand it? Build a new line? Just curious on what the available options are moving forward.
I think the holistic approach to improving the street/road infrastructure and layout that has been discussed here would be beneficial for bus service. Restoring express bus service might also be something to consider.

As for rail service I don't know that there's much more that can be done. They can start using the trains with reconfigured seating for higher per-car capacity (though riders have indicated they hate them) but that's about it. Maybe more service during off-peak hours as demand necessitates. But I don't see them being able to run trains more frequently than they already do during rush hour; they tend to bunch up already as it is.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,181,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Reading that flyer again I noticed the "Save Our Boulevards" contact, which is a bit odd given that the group's origins stem from property owners on the boulevards who hated Rey Colon's move to legitimize parking on them. They seem like an unlikely bunch to get in bed with Joe Berrios, but strange events/strange bedfellows and all that.
Yeah, and the rants about hipsters seemed very different than any previous flyers I've seen from "Save Our Boulevards" as well. I'm not sure of any direct connections between the Berrios machine and other organizations, but there are a decent number of very pissed off former Berrios people in the area who are looking for any way they can to attack Moreno and Guzzardi. At this point Moreno has remained neutral on the proposal, leaving his definition of "dense TOD development" vague and undefined. It seems a little off to make the project all about Moreno when he hasn't come out in favor of it.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,181,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
As for rail service I don't know that there's much more that can be done. They can start using the trains with reconfigured seating for higher per-car capacity (though riders have indicated they hate them) but that's about it. Maybe more service during off-peak hours as demand necessitates. But I don't see them being able to run trains more frequently than they already do during rush hour; they tend to bunch up already as it is.
They will be able to run trains more frequently when they get new cars on the line. They've updated all the signals but modern trains are needed to take advantage of them and run with less headway. I think A/B trains is another idea that needs to be explored, especially if it can help clear out the crowds that pile up starting around Western or Damen. A lot of the bunching seems to be due to trains that wait for people to back away from trains that they have no chance of getting on. Actually having attendants/conductors in the stations telling people to back off, and also move to the back of the train could help as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,944,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think the holistic approach to improving the street/road infrastructure and layout that has been discussed here would be beneficial for bus service. Restoring express bus service might also be something to consider.

I dont know if it has something to do with the construction, but the trains during the morning rush hour have been non existent. At the division stop there was a 12 min wait for the next train when I got there today, and the next wasn't right behind it. The past couple weeks have been similar, I've been stuck taking the bus or cabbing it.

Hopefully after all the construction is done (2016 I believe), trains will be more frequent or appropriately paced.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,837,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
They will be able to run trains more frequently when they get new cars on the line. They've updated all the signals but modern trains are needed to take advantage of them and run with less headway. I think A/B trains is another idea that needs to be explored, especially if it can help clear out the crowds that pile up starting around Western or Damen. A lot of the bunching seems to be due to trains that wait for people to back away from trains that they have no chance of getting on. Actually having attendants/conductors in the stations telling people to back off, and also move to the back of the train could help as well.
They kind of have an A/B thing in the sense there are UIC and Forest Park lines, but having lived through the era of A/B stops on the Ravenswood & Howard, I'd have to say that's a pretty depressing system & people find workarounds by traveling backwards up the line and things like that. Right now there is little worse than waiting for 5- 10 minutes on a 15 degree day only to see a train blow by you as it's running express.

I think the solution is to buy back parking spaces on Milwaukee and add a dedicated bus lane. Yeah, it will be expensive and annoying to do, but Milwaukee is a narrow street which thinks it's a huge one.

Otherwise you're talking about removing bus stops so the bus doesn't have to pull over as often, I imagine that proposal would go over like a lead balloon, but it's what makes the bus so pokey. If the train stopped every block it would be pokey too.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,807,934 times
Another issue with the A/B stops is that, unless you space the trains out far enough, they eventually catch up to the all-stop trains. And of course, spacing trains far apart enough to make that not happen largely defeats the purpose. It would reduce staging times though.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:14 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,583,283 times
This is an interesting read.

Height can be deceptive: when 15 = 4 | City Notes

Old 11-13-2014, 11:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,854,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Good read--different takes on density.

Concerning, though, when you have several of these 15-story buildings within close proximity of a subway stop, but I suppose that that can't be helped all that much. I work in a major hospital environment, surrounded by other fairly large hospitals, and the exodus at 5:00 can be substantial, although there are a number of buses, along with 2 subway lines at opposite ends of the same community, which help to ease congestion..

Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,837,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Is it? Only if you don't understand the difference between 2 and 3 dimensions.

It's not rocket science why those lot line-to-lot line buildings are more dense, they were built long before automobiles were affordable to the masses.

The problem with this kind of "analysis" is they are neither here nor there. The issue with the height and the density is that they require a zoning change which then sets a precedent.

Do people in urban planning circles not understand what precedent is?

Just take a look at the maps available here: Zoning districts - 2nd City Zoning

And realize that property owners with land zoned one way have every financial incentive in the book to change the zoning to maximize their economic gain of the land. Every change to the existing zoning makes it that much more likely property owners in close vicinity will want the same.

Those of us with longer memories also remember the whole "pay to play" practice, which is also muddying the waters here. A nice compilation of said coverage from recent years:

Chicago's Pay-to-Play Zoning | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago