Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Hyde Park is an employment node in its own right not to mention heavily populated with a specific demographic (students) whose daily routine does not involve traditional commute patterns in and out of the neighborhood; the Gold Coast is literally adjacent to downtown; and East Lakeview benefits not only from twice the rail capacity as the Milwaukee Avenue corridor but an isolated, 8-lane limited-access expressway directly to downtown that doesn't have to also carry traffic from the entire northwest region like the Kennedy does. Hyde Park also benefits from LSD in addition to commuter rail service and access to the Green Line from the southern reaches for those whose daily routine takes them out of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 03:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

Try again and take a closer look. The few tracts gaining population are at cross streets like Leavitt, Augusta, and Grand, which have gained population as residential replaces industrial uses.
It is worth taking a closer look as to where the buildings are being built and what they are replacing.

I am not sure what you call the type of area at 500 N. Milwaukee. "Mixed use?" It is a weird 6 way intersection with some crusty old low rise brick...something... buildings, mixed in with older 3 story buildings that seem to be repurposed into bars, one newer 6 story apartment wedge, etc.

Then 1001 W Chicago. It's a bunch of low rise commercial/industrial buildings. Animal Hospital, "Cooler Services"... I am not sure what the big long 1 story yellow brick building is.

These are the biggest projects on the list and neither of them are in what I would call the "residential" section of this corridor. I.e. they are not really mixing SFH with 3 story condos and larger apartments. It's putting apartments in where now there appears to be just some random buildings.

I am not sure how this affects anyone's narrative of what is happening or should be happening. In my mind it seems like a logical place to build new apartments.

It seems very similar to how Williamsburg Brooklyn has been redeveloped. Same sort of former industrial / residential mix, same sort of distance from the main work destination of the new residents, both served by one train, etc. Williamsburg has been successful. It has gained nearly 5000 residents. The L is very crowded during rush hour but I wouldn't say it's over capacity.

Last edited by rzzzz; 11-02-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 03:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Most are not mixed use, though a few are. Take a look at my map of building permits since last August 10. I have a map of it before that back to 2012 but I want to combine these. There's over double the amount if I remember correctly between 2012 and 2013 in that area than what's shown below.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kqNXua4ThNtY

Old 11-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Jesus morothisu, do you have a map showing the distribution of lesbian Hindu midgets by census tract yet?

If not, when can we expect to see one?

Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Jesus morothisu, do you have a map showing the distribution of lesbian Hindu midgets by census tract yet?

If not, when can we expect to see one?
I have it for Muslim people over 6'1" but not for Hindu midgets yet :'( I'll probably be making that within the next 4 months though after Rahm finally hands over my data.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
I was wondering if you still hear much Polish walking along Milwaukee Avenue? I do know that the demographics are a bit different now...

Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I was wondering if you still hear much Polish walking along Milwaukee Avenue? I do know that the demographics are a bit different now...
There is still a strong facade of Polishness along Milwaukee Avenue through Avondale as many of the businesses hold out and of course St. Hyacinth still anchors the neighborhood, but the bulk of "polophones" (is that a word? If not it should be) have mostly moved north and west of there. Speaking of St. Hyacinth and shifting demographics, they will be closing their school doors after this school year due to lack of enrollment.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There is still a strong facade of Polishness along Milwaukee Avenue through Avondale as many of the businesses hold out and of course St. Hyacinth still anchors the neighborhood, but the bulk of "polophones" (is that a word? If not it should be) have mostly moved north and west of there. Speaking of St. Hyacinth and shifting demographics, they will be closing their school doors after this school year due to lack of enrollment.
I remember seeing the "Polska" signs outside some business establishments along the avenue..

I think that I saw something in the on-line Chicago Tribune ( the part that I'm allowed to read) about more Catholic school closings yet to come--I guess they're following the same demographic decline that the CPS has been. You just don't see those large Catholic families anymore ( too expensive, I suppose).

Old 11-02-2014, 09:21 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I looked it up if anyone cares.
In total, these tracts lost 3072 since 2000 and gained 3078. As a whole the stretch along Milwaukee stayed about the same. Big variations though between the part closer to Logan Square and the part in West Town.
What tracts are you using? The only tracts that saw significant gains were 2405 (North End of Wicker Park) along with 2435 and 8423 (which has very little to do with Milwaukee Ave.). The South end really has to do with River North spillover more than anything else. Even adding in 8423 I can't get your numbers (and 8423 is an exceptioanlly crazy tract). Looking at what you posted it looks like the very southern end of Milwaukee (8423 and 2432) is accounting for 1752 of a population gain of 3078, and much of that is in area that is far outside the area that is being discussed in the thread (although it is in the area the article refers to).

I'm running a Python script on downloaded census data, I'll try to post it as an app if I have some time to build a front end for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I looked it up if anyone cares.

2778 NORTH MILWAUKEE AVENUE, CHICAGO, IL 60647, "Goldblatt Building" - 49 new residences.
This is positioned on the border of 2 census tracts,......
I appreciate that you crunched the numbers, but I think those numbers are wildly high. For starters most of the buildings won't get approved at the units they requested, and many are made up of small studio spaces, there's no way they'll have the average number of residents you used. I think the numbers will end up being closer to 1200 units being added with about 1800 additional residents.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
At this point you need to get North of Diversey to find any significant Polish presence, but there still is a decent amount once you get that far North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago