Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city does Chicago consider its biggest sports rival?
New York City 1 5.00%
Milwaukee 1 5.00%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Detroit 7 35.00%
Kansas City 0 0%
Philadelphia 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Green Bay 7 35.00%
Boston 0 0%
Columbus 1 5.00%
Indianapolis 1 5.00%
Baltimore 0 0%
Cleveland 0 0%
Minneapolis 0 0%
Des Moines 1 5.00%
Other 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:58 PM

498 posts, read 724,499 times

Advertisements

No St. Louis option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Don't know if the Sox have a rival.
Minnesota is the usual one, but there's also a rivalry with Detroit. There's always some animosity towards any other team that is winning the Central.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's because every one of your major sports teams is in the same division with at least one, sometimes two New York teams. And mix in some of Philly's desire to reinforce that they're not in NYC's shadow. A lot of downstate Illinoisians are St. Louis Cardinals fans for the same reason, as a "FU" to Chicago.

There's some lingering Cubs/Mets rivalry among old-timers here left over from the days when they were in the same division. I don't think anyone under40 cares about the Mets though.
Most of those people who are Cardinal fans are so because StL is the largest and closest metro to their community and they are closest physically and culturally. It has nothing to do with an FU to Chicago.

Anyway, the biggest rivals as far as I can tell are Green Bay, StL, and Detroit. It all depends of which sport.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Most of those people who are Cardinal fans are so because StL is the largest and closest metro to their community and they are closest physically and culturally. It has nothing to do with an FU to Chicago.
I've lived in Cardinal territory. Have extended family in Cardinal territory (who live substantially closer to Chicago than STL I might add). Believe me, a "FU" to Chicago is no small part of why Cardinal territory extends as far north as it does. And it's interesting how many of those folks trade their Cardinals jerseys for Bears jerseys come fall; there's just no rubbing it in as a Rams fan because there's no built-in division rivalry. Cub fandom stops dead at I-74, and C/U & B/N would be even heavier Cardinal territory than they already are were it not for the student populations. Meanwhile, Bears territory reaches darn near to Effingham and even beyond in the eastern half of the state.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM

166 posts, read 259,831 times
St Louis ( F St Louis) and Green Bay ( F Green Bay).

Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
I've lived in Cardinal territory. Have extended family in Cardinal territory (who live substantially closer to Chicago than STL I might add). Believe me, a "FU" to Chicago is no small part of why Cardinal territory extends as far north as it does. And it's interesting how many of those folks trade their Cardinals jerseys for Bears jerseys come fall; there's just no rubbing it in as a Rams fan because there's no built-in division rivalry. Cub fandom stops dead at I-74, and C/U & B/N would be even heavier Cardinal territory than they already are were it not for the student populations. Meanwhile, Bears territory reaches darn near to Effingham and even beyond in the eastern half of the state.
I always wondered why they didnt support the Rams instead of the Bears. I assume they side with the Blues, too?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
I don't think it's nearly as cut-and-dry as you make it seem. I lived in Cardinal/Cubs territory for 18 years and also have extended family right in Cardinal territory (Chester, Redbud, Pickneyville). None of my family that are Cards fans are so because they want it to be an FU to Chicago; they are Cards fans because they live within the sphere of influence StL and are much more aligned with StL than Chicago, as StL is their "go-to" city. All of my family in Springfield (well below the 74 cutoff), however, are die-hard Cubs fans. I grew up in Springfield as a Cubs fan. I think there are a lot of them in Springfield, frankly. There are groups that regularly organize bus trips up to Wrigley throughout the spring and summer.

As for the Rams fan, the Rams are such a relatively new franchise to the StL area that there would be no logical reason for people who might have grown up as Bears (or even Chi Cardinals) fans to switch for the sake of switching.

Edit: actually there's a really cool map showing the percentages of each team's fans. 74 does seem like a pretty useful divider for the transition zone.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...40.418,-88.977

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 11-03-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I always wondered why they didnt support the Rams instead of the Bears. I assume they side with the Blues, too?
People in the hinterlands of Illinois seem thoroughly disinterested in hockey.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
No St. Louis option?
That's why I created the "other" option for cities that I happen to miss.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Depends on the sport, but if I had to pick one city that comes closest, I would go with Detroit.

Definitely huge hockey rivals, pretty big football, basketball and baseball rivals (though other cities are bigger rivals in one sport each).
If you go across the board across all sports (not just Bears-Packers or Cubs-Cardinals, which are larger individual rivalries), then I'd definitely agree with Detroit. I wrote about this back in 2006:

Chi-Town vs. Motown: Rivalries Across the Board | FRANK THE TANK'S SLANT

Granted, there are some dated references there - the Blackhawks were in a decade-long funk right in the middle of a period of dominance for the Red Wings, so it had receded in prominence at the time (whereas the Bulls-Pistons rivalry was actually going through a resurgence back then). Still, Detroit seems to be the one city where there is a legit reciprocal rivalry at some level for each of the major sports (even going down to college sports - see Notre Dame vs. Michigan). It's the closest corollary that we have to NYC/Boston or LA/SF where none of the teams like each other even though they all aren't necessarily each others' #1 rivals in every sport. Speaking of which, Chicago fans generally also don't like the New York teams across the board, but it's not reciprocated at all (so you can't really call that a rivalry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago