Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,541 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently purchased a multi-family building on a short sale. we got a violation notice about the garbage being all over the place. it's $300 dollars. We recently moved to one of the apartments in the building and I have cleaned up and notified all tenants about neighbors complaining. This violation was given out around the time of our closing when we didn't even have contacts with any tenants yet. My question is, can we make the tenants pay for the violation or is it not lawful? also, can violation notice like garbage disposal be written into future lease agreements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM

265 posts, read 404,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatronwashere View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a multi-family building on a short sale. we got a violation notice about the garbage being all over the place. it's $300 dollars. We recently moved to one of the apartments in the building and I have cleaned up and notified all tenants about neighbors complaining. This violation was given out around the time of our closing when we didn't even have contacts with any tenants yet. My question is, can we make the tenants pay for the violation or is it not lawful? also, can violation notice like garbage disposal be written into future lease agreements?

If you just closed on a place, why don't you reach out to your real estate attorney? I'm sure he/she will have much more accurate advise to give you than this forum.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:18 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
I'm not a landlord, so not sure how that works, but a condo association board could enforce a violation of condo policy and assess fines against the unit violating it.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:15 AM

145 posts, read 274,186 times
No. As the property owner, you are legally responsible all city taxes and fines pertaining to the property, and it is illegal in the city of Chicago (and most other municipalities) to pass your debts on to tenants.

What you can do -- if this persists to be a problem after discussing the issue with your tenant(s) -- is file a forcible action with the court seeking to break the existing lease agreement.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:08 PM

53 posts, read 65,853 times
I found out I am paying for the electricity for the "common" areas
I heard that they landlord is responsible for this portion
How can I get him to pay for the common area's portion of the light bill

Old 11-10-2014, 01:21 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
In our condo building, our common area electric has it's own bill and meter, I would think this would be standard, ie, common area electric is on it's own bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: