Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times

Advertisements

Do y'all do this? I was getting gas earlier tonight and of course it was cold as hell. So I did what I always do when it gets bitterly cold and I have to pump gas. I don't. I just stick the pump in there and lock it, and sit in the car and wait for it to fill up. But when I did this, some guy came up to my car and knocked on the window. He explained to me that doing that was dangerous. I don't remember the detalis - all I remember is that it had something to do with static electricity. Can somebody give me a more thorough explaination now that I'm out of the cold? Does anyone else here do this? I know I'm not the only one who I've seen do this.

_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Do y'all do this? I was getting gas earlier tonight and of course it was cold as hell. So I did what I always do when it gets bitterly cold and I have to pump gas. I don't. I just stick the pump in there and lock it, and sit in the car and wait for it to fill up. But when I did this, some guy came up to my car and knocked on the window. He explained to me that doing that was dangerous. I don't remember the detalis - all I remember is that it had something to do with static electricity. Can somebody give me a more thorough explaination now that I'm out of the cold? Does anyone else here do this? I know I'm not the only one who I've seen do this.

_
Yes, it can be dangerous, however rare it really is . This is all you should need to know:

Static Fires at Gas Stations

Here is a good nugget too:

CNN.com - Little-known dangers at gas pumps - Dec. 6, 2002

and

More Fires Sparked At Gas Pump, What You Can Do To Stay Safe - CBS News

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-02-2008 at 10:51 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Sounds like a job for Mythbusters to me.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I'm not sure what getting into or out of your car has to do with static electricity. I would imagine that if you did have any static electricity, you'd discharge it by touching the door to close it after getting out to tend to the pump. You should have told the guy "MYOFB" or offered him 50 cents to tend the pump for you.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I've been in the midwest my whole life and always get back in my car when it's cold out. No one ever said anything to me about it.....

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Actually there was a mythbusters on this! And they found that yes it can happen, but it's rare. I always make a concerted effort to touch some metal on my car (like the door handle) before touching anything else. You couldn't pay me to stand outside in weather like this.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 AM

101 posts, read 411,006 times
Eh, I've heard of this, but it has no bearing on how I pump gas as I usually don't get back into the car regardless of the temperature. Modern gas pumps are pretty quick and my car only holds about 14 gallons, its not worth walking all the way around the car, sitting down, only to immediately get back up and go let go of the pump. This morning it was 9 degrees, but it only seemed like it took a minute or so. It doesn't get that cold. We live in the midwest, we're all used to it by now. Just like when you run to go pick up a newspaper in shorts or something.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
All you have to do is put some gloves on, zipper up the coat, and stand outside for a whopping 2 minutes. Ooooooh, its sooo rough, I know. I swear, as time rolls on, people become more wussified with every generation. I also despise the idiots who leave their cars running while pumping gas, or morons who smoke at the pumps. Good Heavens!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
You may wanna consider the state of New Jersey. They have no self-service gas stations.

There's a couple of full service stations in Chicago, too. Since I haven't frequented one in a few years I won't state their location.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
All you have to do is put some gloves on, zipper up the coat, and stand outside for a whopping 2 minutes. Ooooooh, its sooo rough, I know. I swear, as time rolls on, people become more wussified with every generation. I also despise the idiots who leave their cars running while pumping gas, or morons who smoke at the pumps. Good Heavens!

Hey, this is only my second winter out of the South! It's not like I grew up dealing with this weather.

I'm usually one who says that people complain about the cold too much, but when that wind hit me last night I said f*ck it. And besides that, it doesn't take 2 minutes to fill a car up. It's never taken less than five for me.

I still don't get it though. If there's a threat of static electricity what difference does it make if go inside for a few minutes versus standing outside. I can easily touch the car if I stay outside.

_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago