Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I always thought ORD for O'Hare was Old Orchard Airport.
Anyway I know that the airport was named for Billy O'Hare, the first American pilot shot down in the Korean War.
Nope, named after this guy. The airport was already named O'Hare before the Korean War even started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
*The United Airlines plane residing inside the Museum of Science and Industry landed at Meigs Field with too little air speed or ground clearance to take off again. The pilot, who must be a world class stud, had one chance to make it or he was going in the lake.

YouTube - 727 Landing Meigs Field, Chicago Museum Science and Industry

Old 01-05-2008, 03:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
...I'm pretty sure this one just isn't true. Campbells has factories all over the world. They're active in, like, 30 countries...

...Not trying to be contrarian, but I'd love to see a little more backup for some of these facts.
I actually looked it up too and found the same info. I really dont see how one plant can make 3 billion cans a soup that are sold in the U.S. every year. I do believe they make a lot of soup in Canada now. Dont take that as a fact!

I looked up other things and could not find any evidence to support many of the claims.

Yes, WLS can be heard (at times in around 40 states), but its steady signal only covers the area shown in my link below. I have read it reaches parts of Canada, but again not at all times. Most of the reason for this is there are many more radio stations now working and more times of the day with high signal strength. If this was the 60's,WLS would be tunable in more areas at more times of the day.

Radio-Locator

"Didya know most kosher meat consumed in Israel, is made here"
Well not in current times at least,if ever. Almost half is produced in Israel. You are trying to tell me the other 50% or so all comes from Chicago? Read this link and you will see whomever told you that is wrong.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/tmd/FSMIP/FY2003/OH0402A.pdf

I dont think everything he said is false. In fact, I know a few of the things are correct. Some things are somewhat correct and others used to be correct ,but are not currently correct.I dont have enough hours in the day to search for things to disprove his statements.

I just find it interesting that 20 things are claimed in one post and there is a note about "dont try to prove me wrong..."

I especially like "I met Bob Kane and he told me this...!"
While Chicago is certainly part of the inspiration for Gotham City,New York City certainly was too.

Elvis did not die when everyone thought he did,he faked his own death. I met Elvis before his "death" and he told me this.

Dont try to disprove what I have said, I can back it up," because I either have the receipts, documentation, or I am related to the original source."

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-05-2008 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I always thought ORD for O'Hare was Old Orchard Airport.
Anyway I know that the airport was named for Billy O'Hare, the first American pilot shot down in the Korean War.
Orchard Field Airport. I didnt know until I looked it up , but the D in ORD is for Douglas Field. A few years ago I found out about the Orchard Airport name,but I still didnt know why a D would be in the airport code. Now I know.

O'Hare International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, O'Hare is named after the WW2 hero,Butch O'Hare. Which already has been pointed out.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 PM

248 posts, read 1,073,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiguy1957 View Post
Remember the explosion at Ford City about a year or so ago? I wonder what they're doing in those tunnels now?! (And no, I don't see black helicopters or wear a tinfoil hat, but that whole story just kinda faded away)

No one ever figured out why it happened?

Maybe War material has something to do with it?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:34 PM

"Did you know the Nuclear Bomb, the very first one was designed, built and preassembled on 63rd strret at the U of C, and their waste products were dumped in the woods where 95th street ends to the west." Originally Posted by MarquettePark

No.Wrong again. You are sort of in the ballpark, but there is a big difference between a pile and a bomb. No bomb was built in Chicago. What moron would build a full functional bomb in the then 2nd largest city in the country and then disassemble it and scatter it in the woods? The first sucessful man-mad nuclear "reactor" called Chicago Pile-1 was built in Chicago at the UofC underneath Stagg Field. It was pretty crude, but it was a huge step forward none the less. They got critical mass.

The reactor was then dismantled and moved to Red Gate Woods, which at one time was the first Argonne National Laboratory, where it was reconstructed using the original materials, and renamed Chicago Pile-2. Red Gate Woods is near Archer and Route 83. These woods are part of the Cook County Forest Preserve. The reactor is still buried there.

Section 8.0 The First Nuclear Weapons
Chicago Pile-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Red Gate Woods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: The first atomic bomb is detonated

Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 PM

248 posts, read 1,073,469 times
[quote=Avengerfire;2428360]"Did you know the Nuclear Bomb, the very first one was designed, built and preassembled on 63rd strret at the U of C, and their waste products were dumped in the woods where 95th street ends to the west." Originally Posted by MarquettePark

No.Wrong again. You are sort of in the ballpark, but there is a big difference between a pile and a bomb. No bomb was built in Chicago. What moron would build a full functional bomb in the then 2nd largest city in the country and then disassemble it and scatter it in the woods? The first sucessful man-mad nuclear "reactor" called Chicago Pile-1 was built in Chicago at the UofC underneath Stagg Field. It was pretty crude, but it was a huge step forward none the less. They got critical mass.

The reactor was then dismantled and moved to Red Gate Woods, which at one time was the first Argonne National Laboratory, where it was reconstructed using the original materials, and renamed Chicago Pile-2. Red Gate Woods is near Archer and Route 83. These woods are part of the Cook County Forest Preserve. The reactor is still buried there.

I thought it was invented in the Upper East side of Manhatten...Manhatten Project.....Thats what the tour guide told us....

Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
No one ever figured out why it happened?

Maybe War material has something to do with it?
Maybe, but there are many gas pipes travelling through the city. That is what it was originally blamed on. Whether that is true or not is another story.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
I thought it was invented in the Upper East side of Manhatten...Manhatten Project.....Thats what the tour guide told us....
Well, Manhatten was originally the headquarters for the huge project that is why it was nicknamed the Manhatten Project.As the project advanced, many locations of the project came into existence. Each location had different jobs. Chicago was where the metal research site was located and that is where the first pile was built.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:08 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,178,741 times
Come see the Peace Memorial at 56th and Woodlawn. That's where the nuclear reactor first went off.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Henry_Moore_Nuclear_Energy2.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago