Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times

Advertisements

Maybe not like NYC but Chicago is not boring. Heck LA is more boring and I live in LA!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Maybe not like NYC but Chicago is not boring. Heck LA is more boring and I live in LA!
Half of my family lives in LA - I used to visit every year. Hadn't been there in a handful of years and was back over Thanksgiving for awhile. I had my cousin and her boyfriend take me around to a ton of areas in LA and ones I hadn't been to in awhile. They weren't bad, but I just didn't see the "new, even more fun LA" that people keep talking about. It was marginally better, but compared to NYC and Chicago, it did nothing new for me. I was expecting a lot more.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:37 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
I don't live in the US but of the American cities I hear most about Chicago rates about 7th on the list. I hear about Boston, Philly, San Fran, Houston, Atlanta more. As the third largest city in the US I am kind of surprised that I don't hear about it more. Every time I do hear about it, everything I hear about it, doesn't really seem interesting to me. I think the architecture is neat, but I am not familiar with any artistic vibe in Chicago that rivals other cities. I'm also not familiar with whether or not Chicago has great food culture like other American cities. It seems aesthetically pleasing, but I don't get any other impression by it. When I hear "Chicago" i think "city in the midwest" and not much else.
Americans must like boring then; Chicago gets more visitors than Los Angeles does.

That being said, Chicago wipes the floor with half the cities you think would be interesting. You're talking about a city that has some of the best museums in the country, one of the best food scenes, bars that are open later than anything in LA or San Francisco, festivals virtually every weekend in the summer, plenty of beaches and parks to take advantage, etc, etc.

Chicago is anything but boring.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:39 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Being boring is the least of Chicago's problems, except for downtown the run down areas and crime in the rest of the city are its biggest issues.
Where exactly have you been in Chicago? Please do tell us about all those rundown neighborhoods that we Chicagoans think are nice

Old 12-21-2014, 02:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
If you aren't into going out and drinking , LA might be more interesting than Chicago. Chicago has a lot more night life. LA actually has a lot of really weird and random stuff to do during the daytime. In my advanced age I appreciate LA more than I did when I was in my 20s. If you are young and broke LA seems kind of lame.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:33 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I think it's just because "boring" would be the last thing most people would use to describe chicago since it's one of the most urban, populated and energetic cities in the country. It's just funny for someone to ask the question, so people are probably coming off like they're making fun of you or being defensive because they assume you must have alterior motives by asking "is chicago boring compared to houston or Atlanta".

Of the cities on your list San Francisco is the only one that closely compares when it comes to things like a food scene, artistic, culture, etc. Not to say the other cities are bad, but normally the top tier is places like New York City, Los Angeles, San Fran and Chicago and then maybe Washington DC

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-28-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Where exactly have you been in Chicago? Please do tell us about all those rundown neighborhoods that we Chicagoans think are nice
It is basically the same with lots of American cities, downtown is nice but the rest of the city is a dump. I liked the Navy Pier, the skyscrapers, the shopping mile and the architecture downtown. We have been travelling with the subway and by car all over the place and except for downtown it looks very run down and slummy. Even the big houses at the lake look old and decayed for my standards. Chicago is also just way too cold, it doesn't make sense to live there, there is no quality of life. American cities are just not nice, I know that know. New York is somewhat nice but still lacks the character that European cities like Paris or London have but it gets very slummy once you leave Manhattan. The only thing that is really amazing about the US is the skyscrapers.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
It is basically the same with lots of American cities, downtown is nice but the rest of the city is a dump. I liked the Navy Pier, the skyscrapers, the shopping mile and the architecture downtown. We have been travelling with the subway and by car all over the place and except for downtown it looks very run down and slummy. Even the big houses at the lake look old and decayed for my standards. Chicago is also just way too cold, it doesn't make sense to live there, there is no quality of life. American cities are just not nice, I know that know. New York is somewhat nice but still lacks the character that European cities like Paris or London have but it gets very slummy once you leave Manhattan. The only thing that is really amazing about the US is the skyscrapers.

Chicago is a great city. The towns along the lake to the north are also very nice - where exactly did you go? (probably nowhere). There are tons of beautiful American cities, and a lot that are horrible, just like Europe. The UK is full of dumpy horrible places, as is France, Netherlands, Germany etc.

Have you got anythign positive to say about the US or do you spend all your time bashing it on this forum?

Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Judging by your posting history, you have a strange fascination with and compulsion to bad-mouth places you arent from and furthermore which you barely understand. Guess what, people who choose to live here enjoy the quality of life, despite what you may think based on your fly by night visit to the "shopping mile". Your superiority complex isnt going to win you many friends in life, much less the good graces of your host country.

(and yet Americans get the "ignorant" stereotype on the world stage? seems theres plenty of it to go around...)

Old 12-22-2014, 02:25 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Judging by your posting history, you have a strange fascination with and compulsion to bad-mouth places you arent from and furthermore which you barely understand. Guess what, people who choose to live here enjoy the quality of life, despite what you may think based on your fly by night visit to the "shopping mile". Your superiority complex isnt going to win you many friends in life, much less the good graces of your host country.

(and yet Americans get the "ignorant" stereotype on the world stage? seems theres plenty of it to go around...)
I dislike the Netherlands too, a lot actually. I yet have to find my place to live for life but it isn't going to be Chicago or anywhere else at your side of the pond. And it wasn't a fly by night, we intended to live there but most of the city is just scary, especially when going down south. It is called the 'Magnificent Mile' isn't it? I found that such a bizarre marketing term that I never wanted to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago