Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 01:38 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times

Advertisements

Are there any real estate companies in Chicago that are month-by-month? If they were, they would probably be for the bottom cheapest places?

The reason I say timed-lease meaning there could be a lease that rules, but not specifying how long you have to live there.

And possibly, what could be the cheapest place that requires a 12-month lease?

I'll attempt to answer this question in the next post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:48 PM

In my 9 apartments (the latter being mostly rooming houses and houses with rooms), 2 of them were studios in an apartment building.

And I've never had to signed a 12-month lease with a real estate company.

Apartment 2 and 4 were studios in an apartment building.

For apartment 2, the landlord was a mostly civil lawyer whom owned other buildings. However, his other tenants signed leases, but he made an exception with me, and I was 19.

However, he says he doesn't want to force someone to live there if they don't want to, so I guess that means those are non-timed leases or timed-leases where he's willing to break them.

That studio was $475.

My apartment 4 studio was studios on a 2nd floor about a liquor store and other stores, but the liquor store owned the whole building.

They were cash only... so there was no lease. However, to get my security deposit back, I had to have my actual receipt that I got for it when I 1st moved in, 10 months earlier...

By chance I had it, so I got my security deposit back... in cash.

Now, I did sign a lease in apartment 3. Apartment 3 was a room in basement in someone's house $550 month. I did not get to keep a copy of it. I did take a picture of it in my camera without them looking. I can't recall it saying it is 12 months but I do recall saying it suggests for a 12-month.

However, when I called them that I was moving out next month, it wasn't a 30-day notice, it was 13-days. Which I found out years later when I looked at the lease in my computer. But I didn't know about it then, and they didn't want to give me back my security deposit, so on the phone I threatened them, saying maybe you didn't know, but I your parents are cash-only and I pay them in cash, and threatened to let the IRS know.

And so they backed down and offered to give me back my security deposit back.

And so when I moved to the next apartment apartment 4, it was also cash-only, and I had to have my receipt for the security deposit.

My question to you is, if I didn't have my receipt, would they not have given me back my security deposit? (It was in cash of course.).

And also, if they didn't give me back my security deposit, can I win a lawsuit against them at the Daley Center?

For the previous apartment, it was cash also and there was no receipts. I had to write on a piece of paper that I received the security deposit in cash and date and signed it. What's wrong with doing something like that if I don't have the actual receipt for the security deposit?

So to answer my own thread, $475 is the most expensive studio that I know of that you don't need a timed-lease as the landlord is willing to let you move out when you want. (And he is a lawyer but not a real-estate company.).

Old 12-10-2014, 03:02 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Thanks for doing this.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Your posts aren't very easy to follow, but I'm guessing you're unaware of what is commonly called "corporate housing," which is basically furnished apartments available by the month or even by the week sometimes. They are quite expensive, with studios often renting for over $3,000 per month. Also, luxury hotels sometimes will have suites that rent for outrageous amounts of money per month - recently a suite in a New York hotel was leased for $500,000 per month. I don't know what the rate would be in Chicago, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are units available month-to-month here in Chicago priced in the $30,000 or more per month range. I know for a fact there are units available for $10,000 per month on a month-to-month basis.

Trivia about living in a hotel: Al Capone lived in a hotel at one point.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Your posts aren't very easy to follow, but I'm guessing you're unaware of what is commonly called "corporate housing," which is basically furnished apartments available by the month or even by the week sometimes. They are quite expensive, with studios often renting for over $3,000 per month. Also, luxury hotels sometimes will have suites that rent for outrageous amounts of money per month - recently a suite in a New York hotel was leased for $500,000 per month. I don't know what the rate would be in Chicago, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are units available month-to-month here in Chicago priced in the $30,000 or more per month range. I know for a fact there are units available for $10,000 per month on a month-to-month basis.

Trivia about living in a hotel: Al Capone lived in a hotel at one point.
For something like that, then my question reduces to the cheapest ones...

And there are hotels and SRO hotels in Chicago that offer a daily weekly or monthly. Though most are either weekly or monthly, or daily or weekly.

There's a men's hotel/SRO in Lincoln Park at $450 month, on Clark street, and another 1 some block away. Which I think might be the cheapest place in Lincoln Park.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM

This one, while interesting, is not as good as the thread that was shut down. Do you have another good topic for us?

Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM

No.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealirc View Post
no.
ok.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:46 AM

803 posts, read 1,668,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Are there any real estate companies in Chicago that are month-by-month? If they were, they would probably be for the bottom cheapest places?

The reason I say timed-lease meaning there could be a lease that rules, but not specifying how long you have to live there.

And possibly, what could be the cheapest place that requires a 12-month lease?

I'll attempt to answer this question in the next post.

You may be able to find a landlord with his/her own place willing to do month-to-month after an initial lease period. Aside from what emathias suggested, I doubt there's a company that will do month-to-month. Chicago's rental market is a seller's market.

For cheaper rent, look north of Irving Park Road (Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Edgewater) and west of Western Avenue (Albany Park, Irving Park).

Old 12-26-2014, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,356 times
Neal why are you always looking to file lawsuits against people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago