Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:41 AM

103 posts, read 151,071 times

Advertisements

There are several neighborhoods that could fill the criteria, not just bridgeport or pilsen.

"Near" Columbia is relative to your desired commute time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
If you're planning to bike a lot, Pilsen would be more convenient than Logan Square.

If you're dependent on transit, then I don't think it's much better (if at all) than Logan for getting to/from Columbia (State Street and Congress), and Logan has a lot more going on and is closer to Wicker Park/Bucktown which definitely has a lot more going on. There will be other Columbia students in Logan Square, too, I am quite certain of it.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 23,094 times
Thanks for all these suggestions, but now I'm back to square one! Logan or Pilsen!? Obviously, I'd rather live in Logan because it's much more diverse and has a lot more going on (I want that experience!), but is the commute to Columbia really not that bad? Also, don't forget about the price here... I'm shooting for 1k.

Also, why do people associate Bucktown with Wicker Park as if they are the same neighborhood? Would Bucktown work for me too?

Last edited by neutralcat; 12-30-2014 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 03:29 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralcat View Post
Thanks for all these suggestions, but now I'm back to square one! Logan or Pilsen!? Obviously, I'd rather live in Logan because it's much more diverse and has a lot more going on (I want that experience!), but is the commute to Columbia really not that bad? Also, don't forget about the price here... I'm shooting for 1k.

Also, why do people associate Bucktown with Wicker Park as if they are the same neighborhood? Would Bucktown work for me too?
I wouldn't move to Pilsen if I were in your position. Logan Square is better. Lots of people go to school downtown and take the Blue Line so it can't be that bad a commute. Wicker Park is the best of the three but it has gotten more expensive as it has gentrified over the last 15 years.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:29 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I wouldn't move to Pilsen if I were in your position. Logan Square is better. Lots of people go to school downtown and take the Blue Line so it can't be that bad a commute. Wicker Park is the best of the three but it has gotten more expensive as it has gentrified over the last 15 years.
Bridgeport is still mostly working class families, while certain parts are changing it still isn't quite there yet in terms of being hip. Pilsen, depends on where you are looking for. East of Ashland is definitely changed in the past decade.
I will agree with Chicagobear!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
I just moved from Pilsen, right by the Western pink line stop (also called Heart of Chicago). I had a great time there and lived there for 1.5 years and had no issues... safety or otherwise. It's all a matter of priorities. For me, it was saving money -- and I did -- we had a 2 bedroom for $700.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I just moved from Pilsen, right by the Western pink line stop (also called Heart of Chicago). I had a great time there and lived there for 1.5 years and had no issues... safety or otherwise. It's all a matter of priorities. For me, it was saving money -- and I did -- we had a 2 bedroom for $700.
All depends on what blocks you live on. You couldn't pay me enough to live on 18th and Wood, or any block right by the viaduct. While it will take a few more years for Pilsen to become what has of North side neighborhoods. It is nice to see people are taking advantage of the "lower west side". There is much real estate in the southern neighborhoods that border the loop.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
All depends on what blocks you live on. You couldn't pay me enough to live on 18th and Wood, or any block right by the viaduct. While it will take a few more years for Pilsen to become what has of North side neighborhoods. It is nice to see people are taking advantage of the "lower west side". There is much real estate in the southern neighborhoods that border the loop.
Is there anything really in Pilsen beyond that stretch of 18 St and along Halsted? I am genuinely curious. I just always go to Nueva Leone, or used to before they got hammered with a litany of revolting health code violations.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:46 PM

71 posts, read 86,605 times
Honestly, neither. If you are looking for a 'hip' neighborhood, both are about the opposite.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:16 PM

304 posts, read 364,398 times
There you go OP. Sounds like you're pretty well suited in Logan or parts of Pilsen. Bridgeport is traditionally a very blue collar, working class Irish neighborhood. Logan is further along in its hipsterfication and has a lot more going on and probably more people you relate to. If you want a cheaper and probably a bit less "tame" version of that further south goto Pilsen. Like everyone said Pilsen has more of a contingency on where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago