Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:19 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
And remember, in climates where the cold can actually be life-threateningly severe, like here in Chicago, at the end of the day staying warm trumps fashion.
That's true, though there are designers that are both warm and stylish but you know - you'll need to spend more money than what you'd buy at Target for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:08 PM

215 posts, read 347,814 times
I'm also thin and layer a lot, but when I lived near the lake I was way colder than I am now on the northwest part of the Brown Line. I was suicidally cold then, and I wear the exact same things.

Winter is not for being attractive. It's a sad truth, but the summers here make up for it tenfold. To keep warm, I wear tights, fleece-lined leggings (footed are best), and sweatshirts or fleece jackets under my coats. Get snow boots that are waterproof and faux fur-lined. For temperatures in the 20s or below, I wear a long coat that hits me below the knees. It's not a down-filled coat, but whatever is inside is super warm. I also have a fleece hat I made of two layers of fleece and a scarf made of two layers of fleece. I also made a fleece bank-robber ski mask which I have yet to wear this year.

I am freaking hot inside places of business. It's like they keep the thermostat at 80. I have yet to figure out why they aren't setting it to the upper sixties because we're all obviously wearing winter clothes. I just deal with it and take off everything except one shirt. If you're still hot, take off your boots and wave your feet around to cool them off. Someone will get the picture.

I've noticed some people in this city dress like it's fall all year long. Don't try to be like the yuppie in the peacoat, hooker heels, and no hat when it's 15 degrees. These people are freaks of nature.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,062,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's true, though there are designers that are both warm and stylish but you know - you'll need to spend more money than what you'd buy at Target for it.
Fashion is kind of funny. Like the old George Carlson joke (paraphrasing) 'anyone who drives slower is an idiot and anyone who drives faster is an *******', similarly anyone who dresses worse is a slob and anyone who dresses better is a snob.

To me there's a time and place for 'fashion', and winter in Chicago isn't it. But I'll try not to judge someone who needs to spend $$$ to have designer looks when 2 dollar hats and gloves from Walgreens do the trick.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:33 AM

596 posts, read 815,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Fashion is kind of funny. Like the old George Carlson joke (paraphrasing) 'anyone who drives slower is an idiot and anyone who drives faster is an *******', similarly anyone who dresses worse is a slob and anyone who dresses better is a snob.

To me there's a time and place for 'fashion', and winter in Chicago isn't it. But I'll try not to judge someone who needs to spend $$$ to have designer looks when 2 dollar hats and gloves from Walgreens do the trick.
Yeah, George Carlson was a comedy legend, same with Rodney Grangerfield and Richard Pryers.

Last edited by probablyimnotsure; 01-15-2015 at 01:49 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 04:03 AM

8 posts, read 11,559 times
I am a thin person too. What kind of the appearance do I have? I am like a large tank. I have a big jacket for winter, and large boots. In addition, once there is extreme cold I dress a scarf on my jaw and cover my head with the hood. When I am fully equipped going alone streets, people do not get in my way. I do not care about the look what I have. I am a man I must be strong and smart. A woman must be pretty and beautiful. If you want to strike some chicks you do it with big clothing because women wish to watch broad men. It is similar as if you had the muscles. I wear simple socks and I have no problem. Many years ago, my grandma made me socks, those were woolen ones. Now I am adult and do not care about it. What can I advise you for happy living? Once you get cold contract muscles many times and your body will convert your food in the stomach into thermal energy. You might try to run. It is a double benefit: for heat and health. You might get a bottle of hot water and drink once you get cold. Take care!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM

166 posts, read 257,938 times
If you want to be cool then buy the following : a Northface or Canada "douche", sorry mean Canada Goose coat. If you are a woman, Uggs or Hunter boots. Also buy one of those head bands that they sell at nordstrom with the flower thing. If you're a guy then buy duck boots, LL bean, Sorel, etc. But your coat is the most important thing. the puffy-er the parka and the larger the brand label is the better! and if you want to be REALLY cool then you should wear Aviator shades with this winter gear.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

You don't HAVE to spend a lot of money for it - you just have to know what you're looking for. You can still look stylish and be warm in the Chicago winter. Trust me - and that actually pisses me off when people assume that no fashionable **** will ever be warm. Ridiculous. These things are not mutually exclusive. Fashionable doesn't mean non functional.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 PM

103 posts, read 158,253 times
The spandex nylons are cheap material and extremely uncomfortable for daily wear. Go with Patagonia Capiline 2 thermals as they fit a little looser and provide the perfect amount of warmth underneath dress pants OR jeans.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,203,793 times
North Face coats can be really warm - at least if you get the longer ones - they also can cost around $300. Before you do that though, take a look at eBay - I snagged a $300 coat for just over $100 - just set up a search and you'll get the results daily. You'll probably have better luck off-season though.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
North Face coats can be really warm - at least if you get the longer ones - they also can cost around $300. Before you do that though, take a look at eBay - I snagged a $300 coat for just over $100 - just set up a search and you'll get the results daily. You'll probably have better luck off-season though.
You can also scope out sales at various places including higher end places like Saks (where I once got a $1000 coat for $275) or head out to the Fashion Outlets near O'Hare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago