Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 29,148 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, thanks for your time!

I've been searching the forums to no avail so i figured why not just post and see if i get any insight..

I've lived my entire life just outside of Detroit, and was recently offered a position in Chicago with an intermodal company, in a logistics analyst position. The details i've been given are still incredibly vague but I'm getting ahead of myself of course, and already envisioning the move. I've only been to Chicago a few times but the thought of a move is exciting and something i think will be good for me, but a bit daunting.. Here's why.

I have no clue where i would fit in... i want to be somewhere safe and fun, but im not comfortable in (nor would i be able to afford) the "trendy" areas that it seems like most young professionals on this board are (understandably) drawn to... and next, which probably makes me sound very "judge-y" but i detest the hipster culture. I was in Chicago about a month ago and it definitely seems to be pretty prevalent, but then again i was in all the touristy areas, im sure this isnt the case once you venture into varying neighborhoods.

I would like to find an area and people similar to what i have here, but with the benefits of being within a world class city.. something that feels like a small town within a great city, or "home away from home". I'm most comfortable around "blue collar" people, most of my family and friends drive trucks, work as mechanics or in manufacturing, etc and im just more myself in those sorts of surroundings. I prefer sporting events and local bars over microbreweries or music venues.. It seems like these neighborhoods do exist but either a. arent safe (i dont live in a "safe" area now and im fine with it, but i dont want to worry about bullets whizzing past my head as i carry in groceries ya know.) or b. are extremely established and insular (which i love) but obviously as a newcomer that would not be a good fit.

In an ideal world i would have my car for weekends and work if need be, but the idea of having reliable public transportation readily available is awesome, especially coming from the disaster which is Detroit in this respect.

I dont know exactly where the office is located where I'll be working but i believe (although i may be wrong) the highest concentration of truck terminals, rail yards, etc are to the south? The salary would be between 50-60k and ideally id keep rent at a grand or below... a studio is fine, but i dont know that I would love a share. In an area that is unpretentious/down to earth but where i will still be able to meet new people and be comfortable out and about on my own, suburbs are options too but since i will be alone i do want to be close to some "action" so that i can get out and involved in some sort of social life and im not always just inside with my dvr.

Done rambling, any ideas?? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Most of Chicago is not hip. It's a city filled with chains and sports bars. You would be fine in any of a dozen neighborhoods. I'd not worry too much about accidentally moving into a war zone or the Gallagher's townie enclave. It will be much easier to narrow down your choices once you figure out where the office is.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:53 PM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
For blue collar, non trendy neighborhoods, look along the Blue Line on stops northwest of Logan Square. Irving Park, Jefferson Park, etc.

But really, you will need to give us a more precise work location to get good recommendations. Chicago traffic can be terrible if you don;t plan ahead, so optimizing your commute is extremely important here, more so than in most cities.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Thanks! i knew i was giving everyone like zero info to go off of, so i def appreciate the responses.

I got a few more details, but everything is still "off the record" The job would be very near or on site at the NS 47th St yard... the zip is 60609, and Google maps looks like it would be considered Fuller Park.... I really am not sure. I know my supervisor said i probably wouldnt want to live "too close" ?? I'm going into this really 100% blind, just putting feelers out. I dont have an issue with a commute.. my current office is a lil over 50 miles from my house, a drive that on average takes about an hour and 15 mins, and can extend easily to upwards of 2 hours at this time of year. I'm not super concerned with public transportation to work, because i will probably be working a lot of night shifts, especially at first, but IF it were feasible during the day and when weather permits that would be a plus..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Hey, hey. How about Beverly? About anti-hipster / non-trendy as possible. Lots of cops and firefighters so you'd be safe driving how from the night shift. Easy access to the southside railyards. Lots of nice old fashioned tap rooms run by guys who probably will remind you of blue collar types that might be very interested in occasionally impressing a "small town girl" that takes the midnight train from N. E. Where"...

Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM

LOL.... omg. i just noticed that. how embarrassing! hahaa,, but that IS basically what i am looking for, i suppose, although when ya put it like that it sounds like such a character, not a reality!

maybe i came off harsh with the hipster comment, sometimes i tend to ramble when i dont know how to properly make my point! :-/

Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
There's no South Detroit... no one says that!

You're asking for something a little weird, a transplant blue collar neighborhood. That doesn't really exist in this day and age; there isn't really a ton of people moving here for manufacturing jobs.

Given the location of your job you might want to try Bridgeport, if you're #really# dedicated to your blue collar roots.

But I would probably lighten up and try Lakeview...you'll meet all kinds of people there. Just hang out at watering holes that seem appealing to you.

Honestly moving to Chicago and getting an apartment in a native blue collar neighborhood will likely be depressing. For the most part, those are neighborhoods that young people leave, not move to.

I would personally join the party and get a pad in Lakeview, but, like I said, if you want to live in a real dyed in the wool blue collar neighborhood, given the proximity of you job, Bridgeport is an obvious answer.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 PM

LOL, well it could be argued (by a few) that when they say South Detroit, it's in reference to the downriver 'burbs.. but touche.

I didnt do a good job of explaining the blue collar thing, and i know what you mean about young people moving out, no manufacturing coming in, etc. its the same thing we see in the Detroit metro area... I guess what im looking for is an area where maybe the ppl who were raised in those neighborhoods have moved, but not moved to escape, if that makes ANY sense? I'm 28, not particularly looking for a "young" area, but something fairly social as I am single and wont have family or friends in the area. All i really mean is an area where im not going to feel totally out of place because i drink cheap beer and don't know much about obscure musicians or care to discuss my degree.. i guess maybe the vibe that movies/media gives Boston?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
If you really don't care about being around public transit or anything like that, there's a few areas - some on the south side like Beverly or around Midway Airport like Garfield Ridge. On the north side of town, areas like Irving Park or the safe areas of Albany Park (well most are safe but yeah). You mentioned about wanting to feel like you're still in a world class city, so in that case you might go towards somewhere like Lincoln Square. The area has a lot of families, white collar stuff, etc but it kind of feels like a smaller town in the middle of a big city. It has good stuff in there too and the rent prices are not expensive (though buying a home can be). There's enough bars and restaurants in the general area to keep you busy. It was an old German neighborhood (and there's some of that still there).

On that same token on the south side, you might want to try Bridgeport or McKinley Park for their proximity to downtown. Bridgeport has some hipster culture, but the area is an interesting mix of that, asians, hispanic, white people, families, working class individuals, etc. McKinley Park is nearby and more of a mix between hispanic and asians, but still pretty working class.

I'd say that most people in Chicago are fairly down to earth if that's what you're looking for - even in the trendy areas. Of course you'll find some areas and enough people that aren't, but you'd find that even in areas where many young people move to like Lakeview, the people for conversation are still down to earth usually and easy to talk to.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornRaisedInSouthDetroit View Post
LOL, well it could be argued (by a few) that when they say South Detroit, it's in reference to the downriver 'burbs.. but touche.

I didnt do a good job of explaining the blue collar thing, and i know what you mean about young people moving out, no manufacturing coming in, etc. its the same thing we see in the Detroit metro area... I guess what im looking for is an area where maybe the ppl who were raised in those neighborhoods have moved, but not moved to escape, if that makes ANY sense? I'm 28, not particularly looking for a "young" area, but something fairly social as I am single and wont have family or friends in the area. All i really mean is an area where im not going to feel totally out of place because i drink cheap beer and don't know much about obscure musicians or care to discuss my degree.. i guess maybe the vibe that movies/media gives Boston?
Well, the S Boston thing would be Bridgeport/Canaryville, but, again, I just think the idea is more romantic than the reality.

If you really want a mirror if a downriver suburb near your work,heck, they might be perfect.

But I personally would think you'd have more fun in a transplant neighborhood like Lakeview.

Cutting through the BS, I guess you could say most blue collar neighborhoods in Chicago are in decline, just like those in Detroit. Would you want to move to Westland, South Livonia, Redford? If so, by all means, you might love Beverly or Canaryville or Jefferson Park.

Otherwise, if you want to meet other young people, I would try Lakeview. I mean, yes, the entire neighborhood is basically full of people who like to watch sports and drink cheap beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago