Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:42 AM

445 posts, read 515,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I wouldn't say it's CHANGED tons, but it has. At least around Augusta and south there's a number of hipsters who inhabit the area now. There was a guy who bought 4 buildings on the corner of California & Augusta 10+ years ago and he's brought about the change in that specific area. He turned down a lot of businesses in hopes of trying to make the area safer and cooler.

Brendan Sodikoff to Overhaul Clipper, Build Restaurant in Humboldt Park - Humboldt Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Look Around Sodikoff's California Clipper Reboot, Opening Tonight - Eater Chicago

Sodikoff Also Planning Restaurant for Humboldt Auto Body Shop - Eater Chicago

I don't think these places were around when you left in 2008 (maybe a few were starting):
Rootstock Wine & Beer Bar - Humboldt Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp
Kai Zan - Humboldt Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp
Bullhead Cantina - Humboldt Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp
Hunter & Tails - Humboldt Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp
Sportsman
Lockdown Bar & Grill - Humboldt Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp
Tatoco - West Town - Chicago, IL | Yelp
Leghorn Chicken - West Town - Chicago, IL | Yelp
The Beetle Bar and Grill - Humboldt Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp

Not saying it's a super hot spot place now, but with Sodikkoff behind the area..it'll be interesting to see what happens. Then there's also the area around North ave:
Humboldt Park's Reclaimed 'WOW District' Thrives 'West of Western' - Humboldt Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago
Thanks for all that info...lots of good stuff. The Black Beetle (apparently just the Beetle now) used to be there, but I don't recognize the other places. Might have to pop in to a few of those my next visit home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,920 times
lockdown is kuma's corner without the wait.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM

26 posts, read 42,935 times
Default Hey Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I have some problems with the above. Most of Uptown is fine but the core of Uptown around Wilson and Broadway still has a high concentration of social services, criminals, and crazies. Pick your block and building carefully.

Logan Square is a large area but it doesn't extend as far west as Cicero. The east part of Logan Square is the nice part and it has become a red hot real estate market. You can spend $750,000 on a house there. I don't see weird people walking around.

Agreed East Garfield Park is terrible.

I like Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown best for what the OP is looking for. That's the artsy part of the city, although prices have risen substantially.
Hi,

Yes i agree uptown is not the safest place of all but a young guy should get street smart pretty fast there, i still think that it is the best neighborhood of the 4, which is why i put it first.

And also about Logan Square, i did not mean that it went all the way to cicero but in that direction north of west humboldt park is where it is the worse.

I think your suggestions are good but maybe a little pricey for him since as you say, the prices have gone up in those areas.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 PM

103 posts, read 151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
I'm not sure if this area is all that safe though. I admit I haven't lived in the city since 2008, but I wouldn't call this area safe at all unless it has done a 180 in the last few years. There used to be some really dangerous spots along Rockwell and Washtenaw, especially near the public housing buildings. In fact, Rockwell between Le Moyne and North Avenue used to have a very busy open air drug market and was one of the most screwed up blocks in the city back then. I used to live on Division between California and Washtenaw in the early 2000's and there would be shooting somewhere on the block at least twice a week.

Has it changed that much?
I live 1 block from said area, on the other side of the housing buildings. There is still gang activity, but it doesn't seem as blatant as it used to be. There is a fair amount of garbage on the streets, people try to sell you bud lowkey, and in the summer people blast there music pretty loudly. That being said, I wouldn't rule the neighborhood out to someone in OP's situation. You get what you pay for. I haven't heard any gun shots yet and the locals have been more than welcoming to me as a white suburban transplant...bring some beers over and shoot the breeze on the porch and you've got some new friends!

Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 PM

166 posts, read 259,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
I'm not sure if this area is all that safe though. I admit I haven't lived in the city since 2008, but I wouldn't call this area safe at all unless it has done a 180 in the last few years. There used to be some really dangerous spots along Rockwell and Washtenaw, especially near the public housing buildings. In fact, Rockwell between Le Moyne and North Avenue used to have a very busy open air drug market and was one of the most screwed up blocks in the city back then. I used to live on Division between California and Washtenaw in the early 2000's and there would be shooting somewhere on the block at least twice a week.

Has it changed that much?
It has completely changed. I live on Washtenaw and Potomac. Been here 2 years now and have never had a problem. The public housing is still there but they are good about removing trouble tenants. They've boarded up a few of them as well. In no time they'll probably start taking them down. But not once have I ever felt in danger. But then again, I grew up in the city so minorities walking down the block dont make me uneasy in the same way they do of many CDF members.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 AM

26 posts, read 42,935 times
Default North Lawndale ?

I used to drive through North lawndale 4 days a week for work and that place was one of the worse i have been too, and east humboldt park just north and has an even worse reputation but i have never been there so cant say. but i can atleast say that i would never live in lawndale and it doesnt seem like e. garfield park is any better... i havent been to North Lawndale for 1 and a half year tho now

Old 01-28-2015, 03:31 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
I would say Avondale or Irving Park. Affordable neighborhoods and safe. Avondale though it is a little gritty on it's western side, but stick to the east and you are getting a bang for your buck. Funny thing is in Irving Park it's the opposite. The eastern part of Irving Park (while not bad at all) isn't as nice as the western part, especially the closer you get to Albany Park.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedl View Post
I'm a typical "starving artist" (lol) and I have no problem living in low income neighborhoods.

just researching chicago it seems like the neighborhoods to avoid are on the south side. Is that accurate?

Right now I'm looking at East Garfield Park, Logan Square, Uptown, and Rogers Park. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks :] -s
There's SO much fail in this post...

He's supposed to be starving, yet chooses 3 decidedly middle (and even upper) class neighborhoods.

Says he had no problems living in low income areas, and then immediately discounts the entire south side.

Someone starving wouldn't be worried about coffee shops with pretty girls hanging about...

Sigh...

Old 01-29-2015, 05:16 PM

321 posts, read 372,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
There's SO much fail in this post...

He's supposed to be starving, yet chooses 3 decidedly middle (and even upper) class neighborhoods.

Says he had no problems living in low income areas, and then immediately discounts the entire south side.

Someone starving wouldn't be worried about coffee shops with pretty girls hanging about...

Sigh...
In his defense, he put "starving artist" in quotes. I don't think he was claiming to be literally starving-- just saying he's an artist and therefore can't afford expensive neighborhoods. It's a generally understood phrase. He can probably still afford the occasional cup of coffee and looking at pretty girls. Even homeless people can do that.

I'm not familiar with East Garfield Park, but Uptown, Rogers Park, and the less gentrified parts of Logan Square certainly have a significant amount of lower income residents. They have plenty of middle class people, too, of course, but they're certainly not upper class neighborhoods unless you count some of the most recent Logan Square arrivals.

I, too, found it ironic that he ruled out many low income areas after saying he has no problem with low income areas, though. He clearly does have a problem with many low income areas. Understandably so, but let's be honest about it.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedl View Post
Just looking for some opinions on safe yet relatively inexpensive neighborhoods in Chicago. I'm a typical "starving artist" (lol) and I have no problem living in low income neighborhoods. I've lived in many, and know that "low income" does not always mean "dangerous". I just want to avoid the actual dangerous neighborhoods...just researching chicago it seems like the neighborhoods to avoid are on the south side. Is that accurate?

I'll looking for a studio between $500-$750...with that budget I don't have a ton of options but I'd like to live somewhere with some life and good energy...people out and about (and not shooting at me)...a coffee shop or two...cute girls waiting for a nice guy to be brave and say hi;]

Right now I'm looking at East Garfield Park, Logan Square, Uptown, and Rogers Park. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks :] -s

Lol, I was at Target in Uptown this morning and heard 5 gun shots. They came from the intersection of Broadway and Wilson. Other people heard the same thing and a bunch of cops where there.

But that's the first time I ever heard gun shots in Chicago. I like Uptown.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-29-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago