Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:55 AM

321 posts, read 372,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Illegal in NY State
Well, I can certainly see why it can't be done in Chicago or anywhere else, then.

Quote:
I think highly likely. That is personal data.
Meh. Evidently NY State has decided that it is, but none of the four states I've rented in have. Given how much information about you is readily available to anyone-- your marital status, your relatives, your past addresses, the price you pay when you buy a house, your arrest record, your employer, even your salary if you work in the public sector or for a non profit, etc.-- I don't think many people would rank their home energy costs very highly on the list of things they care about keeping private. A possible exception might be someone running an illegal indoor growing operation, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I just called ComEd and gave them an address, she had no problem giving me the average bill for the condo unit.
And there you have it.

I always thought gathering this info. was a normal part of the decision-making process when choosing a place to rent. I had no idea there are so many people who don't do it, let alone who think it can't be done.

Last edited by UC18; 01-27-2015 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
PSEG/LIPA wont do it. I tried a few times. Honestly, who much electric I use is none of my neighbors business. Why doesnt mastercard or visa give out my credit card averages.

Also what if I have a couple who works from home likes the heat at 72 vs a working couple who are gone 12 hours a day and go away on weekends.

If I was buyer based on utility bills I would choose the coupe with low bills.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
PSEG/LIPA wont do it. I tried a few times. Honestly, who much electric I use is none of my neighbors business. Why doesnt mastercard or visa give out my credit card averages.

Also what if I have a couple who works from home likes the heat at 72 vs a working couple who are gone 12 hours a day and go away on weekends.

If I was buyer based on utility bills I would choose the coupe with low bills.
This is a Chicago forum, not NY. The unit in question is in Chicago, not NY.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I just called ComEd and gave them an address, she had no problem giving me the average bill for the condo unit.
Thank you knitgirl! I was the first one to suggest a call to the utilities, because I have done it with both ComEd and People's Gas, on about 2 dozen different addresses. I have done it in SC where I now live! Utilities are governed by state law so what happens in NY or SC isn't important.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 PM

321 posts, read 372,403 times
Quote:
PSEG/LIPA wont do it. I tried a few times. Honestly, who much electric I use is none of my neighbors business.
Well, I guess living in NY works out well for you, then, and living in one of the other 49 states works out well for the rest of us. Win/win!

This is a forum for a city in one of those other 49 states, though, so we're operating under the assumption that NY state law doesn't apply to the OP's situation.

Quote:
You have to be smart enough to allow for a range due to unusual circumstances. You also have to allow for what month it was, how extreme the weather was that month, if the unit may have been unoccupied, etc. It's not an exact science, but it gives you a rough idea, particularly if you see patterns of really high bills. You can also look at the rates for other units in a building to see a larger pattern, and the landlord will usually answer questions about if a unit was vacant, or inhabited by someone who was there all the time, or frequently absent, etc.

Again, I really thought this was common sense stuff. I've always done this as part of my research when renting. (I've never rented in New York, clearly.)

Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM

NY is so strict on not giving out info that I own a condo that is all electric. I have it rented out and the electric bill is not in my name. LIPA/PSEG would not give me the electric bill amounts of tenant. I have no clue what their electric bills are. I need the tenants to sign a whole big release form or for me to ask tenant for copy of their bill. Which I was just curious as we had a really cold winter last winter and tenant pays electric so wanted to factor the cost into if I should cut her rent, raise her rent or keep it the same.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Have you ever tried to use an electric stove vs. a gas stove? I would never again accept to have to use an electric stove, having had to use both.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Have you ever tried to use an electric stove vs. a gas stove? I would never again accept to have to use an electric stove, having had to use both.
Electric stoves in 2015 are so much better than Electric Stoves from even 2005. Some now prefer than to Gas.

Electric Dryers and Electric How water heaters well they still suck

Old 02-05-2015, 09:51 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Quote:
Electric stoves in 2015 are so much better than Electric Stoves from even 2005. Some now prefer than to Gas.

Electric Dryers and Electric How water heaters well they still suck
I have a new electric stove and I really don't like it. Its probably only 2 years old and it still sucks to cook with. It looks nice and it heats up very quick however trying to cook with it is hard. I am still getting used to cooking with it but I typically burn everything or don't cook fast enough because I am worried I will burn it. It sucks honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago