Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:48 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why bring up this old thread again?
Apparently to tell the OP that we're all from Ohio and "half no clue how to dress". Since that's the issue and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:55 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,804 times
Wicker Park is where you want to live.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM

23 posts, read 86,900 times
people who are first to come to an area that is in a rebuilding phase
early gentrification

Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM

75 posts, read 224,591 times
Default East Lakeview...

is a great area. if you get close to Lake Shore Dr, you'll have great bus access to downtown. Lots of great restaurants on Broadway, and cute lil shops. very friendly.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 AM

45 posts, read 187,760 times
actually I am now narrowing down my search to Wicker Park, West Loop, South Loop.

I have decided on these places b/c of the "loft" style apartments they have. I like the West Loop and South Loop b/c of the new construction they have there. But it seems to me that the South Loop is more dead than the West Loop as to nightlife and restaurants, but, I don't really know.

Wicker Park is still a choice I am considering, but the units there seems to be in low rise buildings.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellimus View Post
actually I am now narrowing down my search to Wicker Park, West Loop, South Loop.

I have decided on these places b/c of the "loft" style apartments they have. I like the West Loop and South Loop b/c of the new construction they have there. But it seems to me that the South Loop is more dead than the West Loop as to nightlife and restaurants, but, I don't really know.

Wicker Park is still a choice I am considering, but the units there seems to be in low rise buildings.
To be honest, both the West and South Loop feel largely dead to me. They're neat areas, and who doesn't love the idea of a big timber loft? However, there's a lot more life in areas like WP.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM

does dead also equal unsafe?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
does dead also equal unsafe?
No. Why would it?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM

less street traffic, less pedestrian traffic, overall no visualness to deter crime from happening.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:07 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:

Wicker Park is so far removed from West Loop or South Loop that it seems unusual for all of them to have made the same short list.

As far as neighborhood amenities go, I think the WL has the SL beat at this point, simply because both Greektown and the Randolph market are so well-established. This project looks extremely promising and should have a major impact on the south end if it ever gets off the ground:

Homes, retail planned at former Fannie May site :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Business (http://www.suntimes.com/business/907500,CST-FIN-fannie22.article - broken link)

The main advantage the South Loop has is that it has better lake access than both the West Loop (which is through the Loop) and Wicker Park (which has none).

Wicker Park's advantages? None that I can I state that haven't already been said a million times. It has far more amenities than WL or SL, but they are not what you would call style-neutral, so whether they are Cool or Cliche depends entirely on your point of view (and probably your age).

That is why, unless you 25 years old and/or never lived in a big city before, I highly recommend that you walk around there first. Sit in the Pontiac, see who wanders by, and then make up your mind if WP is really the place for you.

It may very well be, or you may find it to be one of those been-there done-that kind of things. But you really won't know unless you go check it out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago