Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:23 PM

321 posts, read 372,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I provided evidence to them that several spaces were blocked off for parking because of CTA maintenance. That in combination of everyone having to find a spot on the other side of the street only during street cleaning would be enough evidence.
Evidence of what? To successfully contest a ticket you have to prove that you didn't commit the violation. All you've done is provide evidence regarding the circumstances that led to you choosing to commit the violation. I feel for you, because I've been in that situation before, but unless you can prove that you didn't park in the street sweeper zone during those hours (which is doubtful, since you've already told us you did), there's no point in appealing.

Quote:
And I think you are missing my point ...
No, I think everyone gets your point. Your point seems to be that the city owes you a free parking spot near your office. It just doesn't work that way. You're lucky that you apparently work at a place where you're usually able to find one, but if you can't, your choices are a) park further away, b) pay to park, or c) find another way to get to work. Or, I guess you can do what you did and d) knowingly violate parking laws, but I wouldn't recommend that. You could end up getting towed, which would have cost you much more.

Last edited by UC18; 02-01-2015 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:41 PM

498 posts, read 724,621 times
Do you seriously think you have a legitimate defense here? You're going to file a civil suit because you parked illegally and have a nonsensical excuse?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
I'm really enjoying this thread. I've managed to live in Chicago over 1.5 years and have only received one ticket. It was for street cleaning but I overslept that day (oops). I paid the $60 and moved on with my day. I put in my calendar when street cleaning is... even if you live in a neighborhood when they post the signs, you can still find the dates online. Move your car. It doesn't matter if there was no other spot on your street. Go to another street, another neighborhood, or pay to park elsewhere. But get on with your day. You're putting too much energy into this. $60 isn't the end all be all.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:42 PM

265 posts, read 404,935 times
This is a huge city - I don't care where street cleaning and/or residential permits streets are (and CTA maintenance is happening), there's ALWAYS an alternate place to park. Again, probably an annoying, inconvenient place, but a legal place nonetheless. You choose to not inconvenience yourself and park far away from where you wanted to, so you got a ticket. Pay the ticket and move on.

You keep saying "downtown".... where "downtown" was this? The Loop??

Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
I love this thread! Why not go all the way and claim your civil rights are being violated because the government is infringing on your right to free, convenient parking. Call up the ACLU.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I'm really enjoying this thread. I've managed to live in Chicago over 1.5 years and have only received one ticket. It was for street cleaning but I overslept that day (oops). I paid the $60 and moved on with my day. I put in my calendar when street cleaning is... even if you live in a neighborhood when they post the signs, you can still find the dates online. Move your car. It doesn't matter if there was no other spot on your street. Go to another street, another neighborhood, or pay to park elsewhere. But get on with your day. You're putting too much energy into this. $60 isn't the end all be all.
I would have gone to another street except that each street in my neighborhood (Old Town) requires a specific residential parking permit. If I would have parked in any other street near my area, I would still be in violation because of that.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:21 PM

498 posts, read 724,621 times
Why do you think you're entitled to a free convenient parking space for your vehicle? Either learn to deal with it, or take public transit next time.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:24 PM

321 posts, read 372,212 times
Quote:
I would have gone to another street except that each street in my neighborhood (Old Town) requires a specific residential parking permit. If I would have parked in any other street near my area, I would still be in violation because of that.
Old Town is a crazy place to expect to be able to find free street parking every single day, especially without a residential permit. Some days you're going to have to pay, if you insist on driving to work. I'm actually surprised that you're usually able to park for free.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
The bottom line is this: You're not going to get sympathy for not finding a legal space to park your car for free--street cleaning or otherwise. Because, you know, a lot of us have cars and do what other Chicagoans do and find a legal space to park our car for free, or for pay... in our neighborhood or an adjoining neighborhood, or a garage, or who the heck cares. You know what to expect when you have a car in Chicago. And if it's too much, get rid of it.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
Old Town is a crazy place to expect to be able to find free street parking every single day, especially without a residential permit. Some days you're going to have to pay, if you insist on driving to work. I'm actually surprised that you're usually able to park for free.
I live in Old Town and have a residential parking permit for the street I live on. I never have trouble finding parking otherwise. I don't drive to work. I take the El every day and leave my car parked on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: