Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM

215 posts, read 350,412 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a fun place for karaoke in Lakeview or north of it along the Brown or Red. I used to go to Trader Todd's all the time, but now that my friends and I are all in our 30s, the frat boys at Trader Todd's (not to mention the lack of elbow room) leave much to be desired.

We like going out on Friday and Saturday nights, but I've only heard of karaoke for the older crowd on weeknights, like Maryoke at Mary's Attic/Hamburger Mary's. Is there a hidden gem or new karaoke spot not yet discovered that might be a match?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Trader Todd's is one of the worst bars on the planet.

Anyway, do you want private karaoke or ones with public space? There is a place called Lincoln Karaoke which is a more Korean place. It's north of the Brown line so not directly on it, but it gets you closer.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:45 PM

57 posts, read 145,802 times
If you are interested in a close (both in terms of location and environment/demographics) substitute for Trader Todd's, but with more elbow room, check out Blokes & Birds two blocks away on Clark, downstairs, Friday and Saturday only. I'm not very familiar with karaoke places on the North (non-NW) Side, so I can't come up with a good 30+ crowd spot.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM

62 posts, read 122,253 times
I'm not a Karaoke enthusiast, but if I were you I would check out Lincoln Karaoke with your friends, it's a Korean Karaoke joint. This place is fun with a big group of friends, the drinks are cheap, and you get a private mirrored room with projectors and special lighting/lazer effects, and a couple microphones. Not good for mingling with strangers, but it eliminates the "frat boy" factor by 100% and if you bring shy friends they are much more likely to try singing. There are actually a lot of private room Korean karaoke style places around the city, especially in the Korean and Chinese areas.

Of course you may be looking for a much more social atmosphere. It seem like there are bars all over the city that have a karaoke night. Blue Frog is a popular dive bar on Huron and Lasalle that is easy to get to from anywhere via the el or bus. I wouldn't describe Blue Frog as fratty at all, maybe more hipster or something.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:18 PM

35 posts, read 32,508 times
Dear god, whyyyyyyyy?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefeste View Post
Dear god, whyyyyyyyy?
Different strokes for different folks. Lighten up Francis!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 AM

Thanks, I'll look into these.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 PM

71 posts, read 105,544 times
Jorge gave you the best advice. Lincoln Karaoke is where you want to go. It's definitely not a walk-in establishment, more of a place a large group will book a private room several days/weeks in advance.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 AM

So, if I can't walk in and have a karaoke night, there's no karaoke?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

216 posts, read 313,740 times
If you're looking for something a bit more low-key, take the 77 bus west to Alice's Lounge at Belmont and Central Park. The place starts filling up around 10 on Friday and Saturday night, and Karaoke begins at 1030. The crowd is a lot more relaxed and less aggressive than at a typical Lakeview gathering of the douche bags. It's funny because the karaoke crowd is total hipster, but there's always a row of old school neighborhood guys watching a game at the bar. Come here if you enjoy drunken (but not obnoxious) hipsters belting out classic 80s-90s pop songs.

As an aside, where are all these White kids in Alice's coming from? I am mystified cause they sure don't live in the surrounding neighborhood which is like 80% Mexican and 20% middle aged Polish people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago