Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Rheingold View Post
I think I am being misunderstood here, I'm not asking why the Pilsen area turned into Mexicans. With immigrants and white flight that's apparent. I'm asking mainly how what seems to be a well position suburb with (well what remained of it) solid middle class housing stock turned into such a ghetto. I have seen urban areas go bad and even some suburbs get "sketchy" but Harvey looks worse than any neighborhood in the actual south side, worse than the South Bronx or East Oakland California...its a mess.
Because its not well-positioned. As manufacturing either left or automated, nearby employment opportunities for the far south side and south suburbs dwindled. In metropolitan Chicago, employment centers are downtown, the Western burbs along I-88, the NW burbs around Schaumburg, and the Northern burbs along I-94. Harvey doesn't offer easy access to any of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Of all the millions of people in suburban Chicago and the hundreds of suburbs, Harvey is literally one of the worst as far as blight, etc.

It is what it is, although coming from Phoenix I assume you wouldn't think that's what suburban Chicago is like. Harvey is just unfortunately in the bottom few % as far as suburbs.

Older modest housing stock, far away from all the current employment centers. Former blue collar suburb located in a blue collar area where a ton of the jobs left during the 70's through today. All the whites left with the businesses and it's languished as a majority black suburb now with no investment. It's largely forgotten by most. It's sad.

Quite the demographic change as well. From around 35,000 whites in 1950 to around 900 today.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Without immigration a lot of inner ring suburbs are doomed. Small, unattractive houses in cities without downtowns.

Anyway, Pilsen is not even that bad, I don't think. It could be kept up better but by no means the worst or even close to it.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Without immigration a lot of inner ring suburbs are doomed. Small, unattractive houses in cities without downtowns.

Anyway, Pilsen is not even that bad, I don't think. It could be kept up better but by no means the worst or even close to it.
Seems most Latino neighborhoods stay decent and Pilsen is already being gentrified east moving west. Harvey already had major decline in the 70s. The Dix Mall in 1978 there, was already closed, then I read, and was used for the crash scene going through a mall, for the Blues Brothers movie in 1980. They merely filled store fronts again for the movie. So the issues of Harvey date 30 yrs back in decline.
Shopping Mall :: Blues Brothers Central It has been final torn down in 2012.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I can't say, maybe they liked it better that way.
But why did Constantinople get the works?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:42 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But why did Constantinople get the works?
Drover. Seriously, dude.

That's nobody's business.

(but the Turks)

Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM

575 posts, read 615,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I can't say, maybe they liked it better that way.
That song always annoyed me. Stupid questions with obvious answers. England took the city from the Dutch and changed the name.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
That song always annoyed me. Stupid questions with obvious answers. England took the city from the Dutch and changed the name.
There's a song?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There's a song?
Ask the Four Lads..and make sure that you're wearing your fez.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)"

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul (Istanbul)
Istanbul (Istanbul)

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople

Istanbul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago