Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times

Advertisements

Here is what I don't get, Walmart has been struggling for years to build stores in the city with much opposition, but Target already has stores in the city. I don't remember any controversy about Target moving in, so why is WalMart such the bigger issue? Target is just as much a big-box as WalMart.

*On a side note, I think... 21 is a bit much to start out with, really it should only be about 5 as a starter. A test run of sorts if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcanthandlethetruth View Post
Do you know Dayton Hudson's ties to Chicago? You do know Marshall Field's correct?
Im aware enough of Daytons, and of course I know of Marshall fields... I am a Chicagoan after all . Their histories obviously intertwined, but does that make Target any better then a Walmart. Target is a Big-Box and nobody has complained about them stealing local business yet, and honestly I don't care what history a company has with Chicago in a free market they should be able to build marginally where they want.

My message; Its unfair that other big boxes could build in the city and Walmart could not. In moderation these stores will only help, not hurt.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
The Chicago crowd dislikes Walmart cause union thugs don't have a hand in running it. over

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Isn't the point of pretty much every company to put the competition out of business and steal all of their clients? I'm not being glib -- took that as sort of the de facto rules of the game.

I think some people are underestimating how hard it is to stay on top. Walmart can quickly become quasi-irrelevant, like K-mart, Montgomery Ward, Sears, etc. Someone clever will outdo them in the not too distant future. It will be a fight to stay alive let alone dominate.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Quote:
Maybe not in Gurnee,but we in Chicago stand up.
What specifically did you do to stand up in this instance? (And I was living in Chicago when Petsmart and Petco entered the City---so your suburbanite slam doesnt hold water).

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Do you know Dayton Hudson's ties to Chicago? You do know Marshall Field's correct?

Please....Target has been a free standing company for years.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Yes.

If you look at the placement of Target's stores you will see there really was not much business to steal from local businesses to begin with for many items they carry.

When Walmart comes in with 21 stores it will destroy the small businesses in many neighborhoods that are lucky to still have a large number.

You've got to be kidding me. Target stores are in very desirable locations with all sorts of competing businesses in vicinity. Really laughable.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
I'm just saying that when Independent pet stores were being encroached and squeezed out by Petsmart and Petco------- I didn't see Wal-Mart haters come to support the Independent pet stores. It seems the Wal-Mart haters saved all their angst specifically for Wal-Mart---which I find odd.

If Wal-Mart haters are worried about "independent businesses", where have have they been while these businesses have been squeezed out???

Walgreens displacing independent pharmacies, Best Buy displacing Independent Electronic stores, etc. etc. etc. etc. Where were these johnny come lately supporters of the independent businessmen?

In 1975, when my grandfather closed his florist shop in Cincinnati, he told me that the independent florist was an endangered species as it was cheaper and quicker to buy flowers at Kroger's than to make a special stop. He also noted that the only work that would be left would be funerals and weddings.

All through the 1970s, Krogers added bakeries and the independents would go out of business. They would drop their prices on meats until the local butchers were gone and the like.

Now that a more efficient retailer like Walmart is threatening Kroger's business (or SuperValu or Safeway), it becomes popular to bash Walmart and in some cases, pay PR firms to spread rumors and the like.

Most of the small business men were put out of business in the 1960-90 timeframe, long before Walmart had a national presence.

I will make one more point. The first rate grocery stores - like Wegman's out of Buffalo, NY or Publix or Dierbergs and Schnuck's in St. Louis, are NOT running out and crying about Walmart. NO, they are COMPETING in the market palce and are not losing a lot of market share. They offer a high quality shopping at experience that you will NEVER find in any big box stores.

I have talked to a half dozen owners of small independent grocers in the NW suburbs. They do NOT see Walmart as a serious threat since they offer 1st rate bakeries and delis and offer a lot of unique ethnic products,

On the other hand, Dominicks and Jewel managers are scared to death. As one says, "there goes the bonuses". Instead of offering a better product with better service, what do they do? They try to compete on price. Need service? Well the major supermarket chains are making sure that the only employee that you see may be at the register. Anyone who spends much time at a Jewel notices that there are fewer people on the floors and that the specialty departments are closing earlier and earlier. It is a sin that at Kroger's Hilander store in Rockford, I have seen the deli closed at 7 pm on a Friday night.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Oh wow. So you lived in the city for a couple of years and you are an expert?

I know of plenty of local small business I frequent to keep the little man in business as well as save me money! Believe it or not there are plenty of places that have cheaper places on many items than the huge stores do!

My local liquor store has cheaper beer prices than Jewel or Dominick's!
Save what money? Local businesses don't have the purchasing power and marketing funds from CPG companies to pass along discounts like Target, Wal-Mart, Jewel, Dominicks, etc. etc..... Your local liquor store may be selling you stale beer or maybe you haven't noticed?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In 1975, when my grandfather closed his florist shop in Cincinnati, he told me that the independent florist was an endangered species as it was cheaper and quicker to buy flowers at Kroger's than to make a special stop. He also noted that the only work that would be left would be funerals and weddings.

All through the 1970s, Krogers added bakeries and the independents would go out of business. They would drop their prices on meats until the local butchers were gone and the like.

Now that a more efficient retailer like Walmart is threatening Kroger's business (or SuperValu or Safeway), it becomes popular to bash Walmart and in some cases, pay PR firms to spread rumors and the like.

Most of the small business men were put out of business in the 1960-90 timeframe, long before Walmart had a national presence.

I will make one more point. The first rate grocery stores - like Wegman's out of Buffalo, NY or Publix or Dierbergs and Schnuck's in St. Louis, are NOT running out and crying about Walmart. NO, they are COMPETING in the market palce and are not losing a lot of market share. They offer a high quality shopping at experience that you will NEVER find in any big box stores.

I have talked to a half dozen owners of small independent grocers in the NW suburbs. They do NOT see Walmart as a serious threat since they offer 1st rate bakeries and delis and offer a lot of unique ethnic products,

On the other hand, Dominicks and Jewel managers are scared to death. As one says, "there goes the bonuses". Instead of offering a better product with better service, what do they do? They try to compete on price. Need service? Well the major supermarket chains are making sure that the only employee that you see may be at the register. Anyone who spends much time at a Jewel notices that there are fewer people on the floors and that the specialty departments are closing earlier and earlier. It is a sin that at Kroger's Hilander store in Rockford, I have seen the deli closed at 7 pm on a Friday night.

Wegmans is a great example. I would also offer HEB in Texas, Marsh in Indianapolis, Sunset in the Chicago suburbs as upscale grocery competing on service, selection and quality vs. price. Wal-Mart is not able to competently compete in the freshness and gourmet categories.... But they will kill you on their price for Coke. We are on the same page. Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago