Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 PM

23 posts, read 39,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
While my stance is firmly anti-Walmart, the people of Chicago should ultimately decide what stores they want or don't want in their area. Any other method is undemocratic.
If people in Chicago don't want Walmart, they can not shop there once the stores are built and Walmart would pull out for not being financially viable.

That is the true free-market way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matth56 View Post
If people in Chicago don't want Walmart, they can not shop there once the stores are built and Walmart would pull out for not being financially viable.

That is the true free-market way.
Walmart is not doing well in Chicago with the stores they have right now.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 PM

23 posts, read 39,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Walmart is not doing well in Chicago with the stores they have right now.
I wonder how well their suburban stores are doing. Is there not only one Walmart currently in Chicago? And its in a bad part of town. I really doubt that Walmart hasn't looked at the financials to make this move into town...

Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth56 View Post
... really doubt that Walmart hasn't looked at the financials to make this move into town...
They were getting their foot in the door to "condition" the public before they finally got the green light to go all out. They waited back in the rafters...

Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
What small landslide? Stroger won by the skin on his teeth.

The people with sense in the burbs voted 60% for Peraica.

Meanwhile the morons in the city voted 69% for Stroger.
Stroger won 55% vs. 45% OMG I forgot that in Chicago that winning by only 10% is considered "skin of his teeth" when defeating whichever republican patsy shows up for the show election. Normally the margin is 20%.

Peraica Demands Answers On Election Results - cbs2chicago.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/election.results.suburban.2.333364.html - broken link)

So, just exactly how is a 10% margin "skin of his teeth"?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
I think the Walmarts on the southside will do very well considering the damn near non-existence of "mom and pop" shops. And the ones that do exist, either the goods suck or the customer service sucks. I just hope the walmarts don't end up being like the ones in the south where people go there to hang out in the parking lot for fun.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
I noticed a WalMart commercial on TV this morning, maybe they were there before and I never noticed, but I think they are ramping up their advertising in the area.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Stroger won 55% vs. 45% OMG I forgot that in Chicago that winning by only 10% is considered "skin of his teeth" when defeating whichever republican patsy shows up for the show election. Normally the margin is 20%.

Peraica Demands Answers On Election Results - cbs2chicago.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/election.results.suburban.2.333364.html - broken link)

So, just exactly how is a 10% margin "skin of his teeth"?
"A Democratic election judge from Berwyn Township told Blakley he had discovered several votes had not been counted. "

"I think we have to get some answers as to what may be causing this… there's something interfering, I think, with the judges' good work," Orr added.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/election.results.suburban.2.333364.html (broken link)

Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I think the Walmarts on the southside will do very well considering the damn near non-existence of "mom and pop" shops. And the ones that do exist, either the goods suck or the customer service sucks. I just hope the walmarts don't end up being like the ones in the south where people go there to hang out in the parking lot for fun.
I can agree here.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM

361 posts, read 1,087,991 times
Quote:
Nope. Not true at all.

Take Lincoln Square for example. Go from Lawrence to Montrose on Lincoln. A vast majority of the businesses there are not owned or part of a large corporation. And there is far more than "restaurants/eateries/bars" there.

How are most "yuppie" areas dependent on big box stores like Target or Petco or Border's?

Border's? There are plenty of independent book stores left in "yuppie areas."

Petco? Last time I looked people are dependent on large pet food stores just about anywhere in the country.

Target? Do you know how far the closest Target is from the core parts of Lake View,Lincoln Park,and Old Town? NEWSFLASH. They are not really any closer than Humboldt Park is for example! There is a Target at 1940 West 33rd Street. HARDLY a "yuppie" area. The Target at 2901 South Cicero Avenue in Cicero is HARDLY surrounded by "yuppie" areas. Target at 8560 South Cottage Grove Avenue? Oh yeah that is a "yuppie" area. Please.

Take no offense, but I think the amount of time you have spent away from the city has dulled your knowledge of it.
Maybe you're right, but still everybody I knew, including my parents and I, relied on Walgreens, CVS, Jewels, Dominicks, K-Mart, Best Buy, Whole Foods, Treasure Island, Home Depot, and yes, Target etc for most of our shopping needs. Who cares if they're not in the exact area they're living in? People in these areas still depend on those stores and merely just make the small 20 minute or so commute, if that even. For instance, Target might be further out, but many in Lakeview or Wirgleyville or Old Town (ie my mom) made the commute on a regular basis (in regards to the one across the street from the old furniture store warehouse-turned fitness center place). That was the point I was trying to make, I wasn't saying you're going to see a Costco right next to Wrigley Field or a Target on Belmont and Clark.

I see no difference if a Wal-Mart were to open up an extra store or two. 21 is a bit strong, I agree, but 3-5 stores will do nothing, as mom and pop shops have already been raped in the city from the above mentioned big box stores. No one in Chicago is lame enough to just sit in front of a Wal-Mart parking lot either, I doubt Wal-Mart's there will ever to turn into some dumb hang out spot like down here in the south (thank god too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago