Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,670 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Chicago in June of 2016. I'd like to go earlier, but wouldn't be comfortable moving mid-winter and feel more apartments available come summer. Anyway, I was originally thinking of trying to save around 10,000 which I know I can do but I would actually like to do some international traveling before I move. Assuming I spend 2 or 3k on a long trip, that would leave me 7 or 8 thousand. Would that be enough to move to Chicago? Also, if possible, could someone give me a ballpark of what my monthly costs might look like assuming I lived in a studio in a decent neighborhood, used public transportation and bought only necessary groceries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Not sure where you get your data about more apartments becoming available in the summer. People move in and out of the city all the time really.

I think the max public transit unlimited plan is still $100/month. Then for food and necessary groceries let's say another $100-$150/month just to be comfortable and not starve. You could definitely pay less for that especially if you don't need to live in the trendiest of areas. You can get decent produce at ethnic markets for example for decently cheap. My quote is probably a little high but it leaves room for buying things you want and not necessarily only to survive. Let's say $75/month for a cell phone or something and $800-$1000/month for a studio in a decent area. So let's say about $1300/month for all that.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-21-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 10:36 AM

184 posts, read 245,363 times
I think it's really difficult for anyone here to answer your question. We don't know your tastes (for example: The previous poster said that, on the high-end, you would need $100-150 per month on groceries. I'm single and have no one to support, but I would need double that because I have expensive food tastes.) Also, will you have a job, and how much will you make? Sure, you can save up a lot of money, but that might not be entirely necessary, if you are planning to rent and have a job lined up in advance. I'm moving back there in 2.5 months, and I don't have nearly that much saved for the move. In fact, I saved nothing extra on top of what I would regularly save. I do have a job lined up, however. So I know I don't need to depend on my savings to get me by for a few months. The point is, it's really hard to tell YOU what YOU need. Only you can do that. $800-$1100 sounds appropriate for renting a studio in a decent neighborhood, but don't forget to tack on utilities to your public transportation and grocery expenses, plus the cost of hiring movers, if you have enough stuff to warrant that. Try using a cost of living calculator (there are tons, if you Google it) to compare your current income to what you would need to make in Chicago in order to maintain the same standard of living you currently have.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
[quote=marothisu;38900729]Not sure where you get your data about more apartments becoming available in the summer. People move in and out of the city all the time really.

Leases usually come up in Oct and May though because that is when students tend to move in and out.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Leases usually come up in Oct and May though because that is when students tend to move in and out.
Let's think about this for a minute. It's a city of 2.7 million people - students represent a small fraction of the overall picture of the city. People move in and out of the city all the time. In my building downtown, it happens year round every month. In my 6 years here in this building, I don't think I've once not seen anybody moving in or moving out in any given month.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Yes people do move in and out I will agree. I think slightly more do it May or October. Its hard to advise someone on costs. Keep in mind you will need to have a security deposit for the apt.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,670 times
Thanks for your responses! Yeah, I wasn't sure if anybody would be able to give me any clear ideas of what monthly costs would be considering the vagueness of the question. I would like to have a job lined up. I work for a company with some stores in Chicago, so I'll probably just try to transfer. Not having much stuff, I don't think I'll need to hire movers so that should bring costs down a bit.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:22 PM

265 posts, read 404,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Yes people do move in and out I will agree. I think slightly more do it May or October. Its hard to advise someone on costs. Keep in mind you will need to have a security deposit for the apt.
The hot Chicago rental market is March through October, though yes, you will be able to find a place at anytime of the year. Sometimes the best deals can be found in the off season, but you will have less inventory to choose from.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 AM

498 posts, read 724,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not sure where you get your data about more apartments becoming available in the summer. People move in and out of the city all the time really.
Are you seriously trying to say that there are just as many apartments available during the winter than there are in the summer? Because that's obviously not true, and it'd be fairly easy to find data to back this up.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Are you seriously trying to say that there are just as many apartments available during the winter than there are in the summer? Because that's obviously not true, and it'd be fairly easy to find data to back this up.
No, I'm saying that you can find an apartment at any time during the year. In fact, it's probably easier to find a place to live not in the summer purely due to the fact of how many people are moving into some areas specifically after they've graduated from college in the summer. I've helped a few friends do the apartment thing and while there were more units available in the summer (still a lot available at any time), the market for them was super hot. I remember many units basically going within a day of being put up on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: