Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 AM

71 posts, read 86,532 times

Advertisements

Would it be possible to take the blue line to ohare and take a PACE bus over to the woodfield mall area? I currently make this drive everyday takes about an hour fifteen to an hour thirty. Im pretty sure it can be done but i have no idea how long it would take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 10:49 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Yes just Google Map it.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:55 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Where in Lakeview are you? You'll most likely need to take a bus to the Blue Line too.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Where in Lakeview are you? You'll most likely need to take a bus to the Blue Line too.
Well i was just thinking brown\red line to blue but bus might be a good idea too.

I live near diversey and clark

Last edited by chicago0311; 03-22-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago0311 View Post
Well i was just thinking brown\red line to blue but bus might be a good idea too.

I live near diversey and clark
Alright, I thought it over and you should stick with driving probably though there's a few factors here.

1) Your plan isn't the most sound. Going down to the Loop only to go up again? Your total ride would be 1h30m just to get to the PACE if you did that. Not smart. There's a 76 bus on Diversey that links directly up to Logan Square Blue Line, but this whole thing is probably minimum of 50-55 minutes just to get to the PACE.

2) The above is just to get to the PACE. Schaumburg is still miles away from the Blue Line stops with PACE. So tack on many more minutes to that minimum of 50-55 minutes.

3) You COULD ride the Brown to the Loop and take the Metra. However, you'd have to see how far your office is from the Metra stop in Schaumburg and if there's any shuttle. This could be about the same commute. Union Station to Schaumburg is still 50-60 minutes alone.

I think #3 is probably the most viable thing if you want to do public transit, or if you're getting sick and tired of it and still want to be in the city, I'd move close to a Blue Line stop in Wicker Park/Logan Square or something if you can. Regardless of what you do, your commute is probably going to be the same even if you take public transit. The only silver lining I can think of is the fact that you wouldn't be driving and you could sleep or do other things that you can't do while driving.

If I were you though and I was getting sick and tired of this, I'd move close to a blue line stop northwest of the Loop.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-22-2015 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 11:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Would it be possible to take the blue line to ohare and take a PACE bus over to the woodfield mall area? I currently make this drive everyday takes about an hour fifteen to an hour thirty. Im pretty sure it can be done but i have no idea how long it would take.
About 2 hours each way.

If you're considering this as an everyday commute, also strongly consider moving to Logan Square or Avondale or Irving Park or Mayfair or Jefferson Park. That can cut at least half an hour off your commute each way.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Ahh so frustrating. So close to being feasible but just a little too long it seems like.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Ahh so frustrating. So close to being feasible but just a little too long it seems like.
Personally, if it's pissing you off that much, I'd just move to near a Blue Line stop NW of the Loop when your lease is up.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Personally, if it's pissing you off that much, I'd just move to near a Blue Line stop NW of the Loop when your lease is up.
Do this regardless of whether you intend to take PT or not, unless your job location changes by then.

If I had to guess... the OP is another 20-something who got a job out in the 'burbs, wanted to live where all the action is, thought they could hack the commute, and is on the verge of waving the surrender flag. Been there, done that, moved to Andersonville when the ex got a job in Shaumburg, would never recommend it to anyone else as it eventually became a significant source of stress for both of us. Which is why I try to dissuade the constant stream of "I just graduated and got a job in Schaumburg/Hoffman/Deerfield/wherever and want to live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park" folks who post here from moving there. "But I can tolerate the commute...." Sure, for 2 to 3 years tops. Then you're ready to kill people.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:06 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
You seriously need to keep using a car if you're going to be working in Schaumburg of all places.

You know how long your transit commute will take on a snowy day in January? It will be absolute hell.

And, yeah, move closer to Schaumburg when your lease is up. You have to go to work five days a week. You only really need the city stuff on weekends. Better to come in on weekends than endure hell M-F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago