Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 18,926 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking to find a 1-bedroom apartment in a safe, clean, walkable (grocery stores, coffee shops, restaurants, post office, maybe a library within walking distance?) neighborhood near a Metra train station that's within 40-50 minutes of downtown Chicago.

I'd also prefer the area to not have a lot of night-life options.

Any suggestions? Rental estimates?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,878,431 times
Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Edgewater, and parts of Lakeview (some parts are quietish, others not)

Old 03-23-2015, 02:06 PM

2,477 posts, read 3,488,520 times
Do you want to live in the city, or the suburbs? What you're describing can be found in numerous Chicago suburbs, but you should go over to the suburban forum to find out more.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM

I honestly have no preference, as long as the area meets my criteria. I will check out the other forum as well, thanks.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Edgewater, and parts of Lakeview (some parts are quietish, others not)
Thanks! Can you recommend the more quiet streets/areas?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,226,150 times
It's not too often people ask for places that DON'T have a lot of nightlife. But, I can appreciate the logic behind it.

Not sure what you're looking for in an apartment or what your price range is, but I can tell you that I live in a neighborhood where I'm 3 blocks from the blue line/metra/post office/library. I'm also only 5 blocks from a completely separate metra line as well.

A lot of apartments in this neighborhood are very affordable with a mix of vintage and typical post-war 3 flats. Google Jefferson Park and see if it might fit the bill.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris8667 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to find a 1-bedroom apartment in a safe, clean, walkable (grocery stores, coffee shops, restaurants, post office, maybe a library within walking distance?) neighborhood near a Metra train station that's within 40-50 minutes of downtown Chicago.

I'd also prefer the area to not have a lot of night-life options.

Any suggestions? Rental estimates?
Lincoln Square - there's a very nice grocery store next to the Metra stop actually and there's other markets in the square. it's like 20 minutes to the Loop from there. Walkable, quiet, safe, clean, etc.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:32 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris8667 View Post
I honestly have no preference, as long as the area meets my criteria. I will check out the other forum as well, thanks.
Most of Chicago is quiet even in streets next to a lot of action. The streets in Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village are not loud even where there are restaurants. You pretty much have nothing to worry about. Just don't live on Western Ave or a main road like Lawrence and you'll be fine even a half a block in. Lincoln Ave has a lot of stuff on it, but again it's pretty quiet noise wise .

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
It's not too often people ask for places that DON'T have a lot of nightlife. But, I can appreciate the logic behind it.

Not sure what you're looking for in an apartment or what your price range is, but I can tell you that I live in a neighborhood where I'm 3 blocks from the blue line/metra/post office/library. I'm also only 5 blocks from a completely separate metra line as well.

A lot of apartments in this neighborhood are very affordable with a mix of vintage and typical post-war 3 flats. Google Jefferson Park and see if it might fit the bill.
Thank you, I'll definitely check out the area.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Lincoln Square - there's a very nice grocery store next to the Metra stop actually and there's other markets in the square. it's like 20 minutes to the Loop from there. Walkable, quiet, safe, clean, etc.
Sounds good, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago