Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 10:48 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is Cleveland really that much more Italian in character than Chicagoland? I thought the Italian presence in Chicago would be more noticeable.
In my little corner of northeast Cleveland it was, but the predominant ethnic mix was black, Jewish, and Italian on the east or "New York" side; and Irish and German on the west or "Chicago" side. Also a surprising number of Hungarians on the east side.

Unlike New York or Philly, Chicago is not all that Italian. Among white people (I phrase I have grown to dislike), Irish, German, and Polish are predominant in Chicago, with Ukrainian and Romanian rising fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Chicago is behind Philadelphia for Italian American population, but has the second largest Italian speaking and Italian-born population in the US.

Italian American population:

New York MSA 2,676,023
Philadelphia MSA 843,350
Boston MSA 683,007
Chicago MSA 682,579

Italian single ancestry:

New York MSA 1,401,912
Philadelphia MSA 335,264
Boston MSA 263,559
Chicago MSA 234,196

Speak Italian at home:

New York MSA 242,396
Chicago MSA 38,001
Boston MSA 37,068
Philadelphia MSA 32,651

Born in Italy:

New York MSA 127,433
Chicago MSA 20,874
Boston MSA 17,405
Philadelphia MSA 13,456

//www.city-data.com/forum/36573291-post301.html
That may be, but they're mostly in the suburbs, the Italian parts of the city having shrunk to a few restaurant-oriented districts.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972Impala View Post
Im focusing on ChiTown aka ChiRaq aka da 312 for my move because It is pretty much as exciting and diversified as New York but without all the BULL**** that comes along with New York these days (gentrification, extreme unaffordability, every idiot "artist" moving here to be in Brooklyn, the whole "Brooklyn" culture that has erased a once tough blue collar Borough and turned it into a land of tight jean, latte drinking sissies and fake liberal DeBlasio).

My friend has a 2 bedroom in Ukranian Village for $700 a month. A two bedroom in New York starts at $1250 a month in most cases, even in the South Bronx or East New York. It makes no sense, New York has become unrecognizable from what I remember as a kid in the 90s.

Chicago offers me what New York can but at half the cost. I can do my MA at UIC or DePaul and there is even a slim chance I can become an ace Chicago blues guitarist and/or date the hottie that plays Burgess on Chicago PD!
We have our own bulls*it, mostly a very high crime rate, police who don't care, terrible public schools unless you place into one of the selective ones (just like NYC), and corrupt politicians. But it is by and large a nice city, and a good substitute for New York at a much lower price and easier to get around.

Your prices seem a little low. UK Village is moderately nice, very nice in spots, and I'd guess a 2 bedroom would go for over $1000.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:43 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
Ok here is something for ya, on the NW side there is a little tiny neighborhood that is loaded with Italians, it's mostly single family or two family homes but you might be able to find an English basement apartment.

From N. East River Road on the west, and Cumberland on the east, between Montrose to the south and Lawrence to the north is still very Italian actually. Kinda looks and feels like Howard Beach a bit. It's adjacent to Norridge on one side and a big park on the other and kind of tucked away from the city (you're gonna need a car out there). It's mostly comprised of Italian Americans who are City of Chicago employees, and thus have to live in the city by law so they go out to the farthest corner of the city right next to the suburbs. There are some Italian oriented businesses going up Cumberland but if you drive a couple of blocks east into Harwood Heights there are a bunch of Italian bakeries, pork stores (they don't call 'em that in Chicago but you know what I mean yeah?), some good restaurants etc.
When i drive over to that area, you can still see the business and restaurants and even small stores that you can tell this once was an Italian neighborhood. So if worse comes to worst, and you do not have an Italian neighborhood of Italian people, you can still get the flavor of that by seeing and patronizing those places.

Chicago is different than New York in many ways, but you wont see neighborhoods like over in NY. Like I understand NY apartments are tiny because you don't really have to cook - you can just go outside and you will be able to have tons of restaurants open. not here in Chicago, not as much. I look at Google street map and i was checking out a neighborhood in Soho, wow the whole street was full of restaurants, not like here. Amazing!!!!

Old 04-16-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
When i drive over to that area, you can still see the business and restaurants and even small stores that you can tell this once was an Italian neighborhood. So if worse comes to worst, and you do not have an Italian neighborhood of Italian people, you can still get the flavor of that by seeing and patronizing those places.

Chicago is different than New York in many ways, but you wont see neighborhoods like over in NY. Like I understand NY apartments are tiny because you don't really have to cook - you can just go outside and you will be able to have tons of restaurants open. not here in Chicago, not as much. I look at Google street map and i was checking out a neighborhood in Soho, wow the whole street was full of restaurants, not like here. Amazing!!!!
Yes, that little area is Italian but very far from the center of the city and not near any of the hip areas. Only Chicagoans know about it.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Good morning,

I know the Edison Park neighborhood on the northwest side is predominately Irish, but WOW there is a ton of Italian establishments there (restaurants, Tony's Deli, etc.).

I read an article that referred to this area as a Little-Little Italy. And I am definitely a fan. If you have not been, I highly recommend you check it out.

I'm looking forward to seeing if new Italian establishments go into the empty spots, on Taylor Street and 24th and Oakley.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCleaveland View Post
Not sure how the Irish are ''Chicago'' and not New York given that the New York trifecta is Irish-Italian-Jewish...but anyway, yes, Chicago is not all that Italian.
Yeah, I think when you think "Irish," it definitely defaults to Boston and New York.

"Italian" defaults to NY (including New Jersey).

"Polish" defaults to Chicago. Although Chicago's trifecta would probably be Polish (including other Eastern European groups)-Irish-Italian (and/or Greek).

The large traditional St. Paddy's Day celebrations (on the South Side, NW, and in several suburbs), really highlights the large Irish culture present. Many of the Catholic Parishes around the city keep a lot of the Irish traditions too. Again though, it won't feel as prominent as Boston or NYC.

Chicago/Chicagoland historically has always had high "total numbers" of Italians, and even the Al Capone mafia history. But it's not comparable to NY/NJ or even Philly (South Philly) where you have a large concentration in one area. They have always been more spread out in Chicagoland.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:54 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
The most comprehensive Italian area in Chicagoland is along Harlem Ave., from North Ave. (1600N) to the Kennedy Expwy. (5600N). This 5 mile stretch includes parts of Chicago, as well as parts of Elmwood Park, Norridge, and Harwood Heights.

The area has a large concentration of Italian-owned businesses, including shops and services which cater to the Italian community. A number of these merchants are foreign-born Italians. In some shops, patrons are greeted first in Italian, and then in English. There are also a number of Italian social and sports clubs along Harlem Ave.

I have a number of family members (Italian/Sicilian) who live in the radius of Harlem Ave, so I have patronized many shops and businesses on this strip.

This area is the most intact Italian community in Chicagoland. The honorary street signs posted on Harlem Ave., in the vicinity of Irving Park Rd., label it as "Chicago's Little Italy."

Last edited by Nearwest; 04-21-2021 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2021, 01:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Nearwest, I need to take a look for the "Chicago's Little Italy sign."

I have driven and bicycled by there many times. I do not recall seeing it.

Is there one, near Grand Avenue, as well?

Old 04-21-2021, 02:18 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
The most comprehensive Italian area in Chicagoland is along Harlem Ave., from North Ave. (1600N) to the Kennedy Expwy. (5600N). This 5 mile stretch includes parts of Chicago, as well as parts of Elmwood Park, Norridge, and Harwood Heights.

The area has a large concentration of Italian-owned businesses, including shops and services which cater to the Italian community. A number of these merchants are foreign-born Italians. In some shops, patrons are greeted first in Italian, and then in English. There are also a number of Italian social and sports clubs along Harlem Ave.

I have a number of family members (Italian/Sicilian) who live in the radius of Harlem Ave, so I have patronized many shops and businesses on this strip.

This area is the most intact Italian community in Chicagoland. The honorary street signs posted on Harlem Ave., in the vicinity of Irving Park Rd., label it as "Chicago's Little Italy."
Awesome information. True authentic enclaves usually aren't found in the "Little" (Insert Name) districts anymore. Those are usually the tourist areas.

I know the general area you are describing (have been through that area in passing a few times), and knowing that general area, it does have a true old-school neighborhood feel to it. I will need make a trip through there some time in the near future. These old school neighborhoods are the gems of city life that are sadly fading away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago