Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 PM

298 posts, read 579,437 times

Advertisements

Lincoln Square:

Negatives: El ride is rather long on brown line, the movie theater needs help.

Positives: It's the best damn neighborhood in Chicago for all the reasons mentioned; Young families, old Germans, Old Town School of FM, GREAT eateries, new sausage place is yummie, great wine store, and more. If I were back in the city, it would be in L.S.!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 02:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
...Negatives: El ride is rather long on brown line...the movie theater needs help...
I do not think it takes any longer than taking the Red Line from lets say the Sheridan or Wilson stop to the loop. In fact, it probably is quicker.

Most people like the Davis just the way it is. It is a neighborhood theater not a multiplex monstrosity.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
It used to take me a half hour to get from Sheridan to Jackson on the Red Line. You could never do that time from Western to, say, Adams and Wabash on the Brown Line.

I think Lincoln Square is worth the commute, however. And you can always get a seat at Western.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It used to take me a half hour to get from Sheridan to Jackson on the Red Line. You could never do that time from Western to, say, Adams and Wabash on the Brown Line...
I have done it on the Brown Line. Maybe it is not exactly 30 minutes, but it does not take more than 35 minutes most of the time. 5 minutes ain't that big of a deal. Besides, the Brown Line has the hottest chicks. An extra 5 minutes of gazing never hurt any man.

Another factor is the Red Line tracks are in much worse shape than the Brown Line tracks. With all the work going on the Red line tracks north of Belmont (and it looks like this will be an ongoing things for many years) the Brown Line is a much more reliable option. Although the fact that the Brown Line does not run 24 hours is a definite negative.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-29-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I used to ride the Brown Line from Damen to Merchandise Mart and vice-versa. Stop to stop was about 20-25 minutes.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Some nice changes recently in LS on Lincoln between Lawrence and Wilson.
-Gene's Sausage shop opend. This place rocks! Really good prices for being a 'specialty' store but has a surprising good selection of every day grocery plus some exotic stuff. It's been getting a great reception and hopefully will be an anchor in the neighborhood for a long time.
-Garcia's-renovation is complete and looks really good inside. Food is the same but reliable. Looking forward to the bar when warm weather returns.
-Unfortunately De Cartes coffee was replaced by a Subway.......
-New bike shop next to Jimmy John's on Lawrence.
-Nothing on the corner of Lincoln/Lawrence yet. Was supposed to be a Western Union but thank God Schulter put the stops on that. Hopefully will be something of value to the hood when it's new tenats take over.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Besides, the Brown Line has the hottest chicks. An extra 5 minutes of gazing never hurt any man.

Another factor is the Red Line tracks are in much worse shape than the Brown Line tracks. With all the work going on the Red line tracks north of Belmont (and it looks like this will be an ongoing things for many years) the Brown Line is a much more reliable option. Although the fact that the Brown Line does not run 24 hours is a definite negative.
The Brown Line also has newer cars, newer stations, and fewer homeless people and criminals. It's definitely the cleanest, nicest "L" route. And other than Albany Park (which isn't that bad) and Cabrini/Marshall Field Homes (not as bad as they used to be), it passes through neighborhoods that are among the safest in the city.

And many people transfer to the Red Line if they don't want to deal with the slow pace of the Loop elevated tracks. That really is an easy transfer, even in the winter.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I do not think it takes any longer than taking the Red Line from lets say the Sheridan or Wilson stop to the loop. In fact, it probably is quicker.

Most people like the Davis just the way it is. It is a neighborhood theater not a multiplex monstrosity.
I use to live there - the Western stop to the loop, during rush hours, was 40-45 minutes. That said, it is a much nicer train than the red line.

The Davis theater gave me bed sores...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
The Davis theater gave me bed sores...
At least it didn't give you bed bugs... Those seats are dusty and disgusting.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
At least it didn't give you bed bugs... Those seats are dusty and disgusting.
I can agree the seats need to be replace or at least cleaned really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago