Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Yeah but does that justify a 300k+ condo in your eyes?

You're talking about what condos are typically made for but there are condos all over chicago and including the burbs. In San Francisco I can understand based on the lack of space, but that's not the case here. Everyone's cramming into their top five favorite neighborhoods and running the prices sky high. You have people with decent yearly salaries sharing 2 bedrooms because they want to walk to the nearest restaurant.
For me, personally, I could easily justify that price. All things considered, I'd take a condo over a SFH every time. I totally agree that a house is more work than a condo, which is why I'd never consider it. Heck, I'm less than thrilled about the work I've put in to my condo over the last 5 weeks I've owned it. My time is worth a lot to me, and I'm constantly assessing opportunity costs.

When you said that overall upkeep is more expensive, were you referring to a SFH, or a condominium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haringson View Post
thank you guys for responses!

MannheimMadman,
this is Rogers Park neighborhood?

Real Estate - 10 Homes For Sale | Zillow

have you purchased condo in the ~100k price range?
Yes, you're in the correct general area. West Ridge runs from McCormick (the river) on the west to Ridge Ave on the east and Howard (on the North) to Peterson (on the south.) Rogers Park is roughly Ridge all the way to the Lake, and from the cemetery on the north to Devon on the south.

Depending on what you consider the ~$100K range, yes I did purchase in that range. I spent closer to $150K and got in to a well maintained building with an extremely well run association with healthy reserves. I think the reason my unit may have been 'undesirable' to many was due to lack of updates. Save for new hardwood flooring, EVERYTHING else in the unit was original from 1978. I've just replaced all the appliances for new ones and am now slowly putting together a plan for the kitchen and bathrooms.

Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
You realize that the price is whatever people are willing to pay, right? It's not a random number pulled from the sky. If the price is too high, no one will buy it. If you like a condo but you're only willing to pay $100K for it and other people are willing to pay $200K for the same condo, I guess you won't be getting that condo.
Duh!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannheimmadman View Post
for me, personally, i could easily justify that price. All things considered, i'd take a condo over a sfh every time. I totally agree that a house is more work than a condo, which is why i'd never consider it. Heck, i'm less than thrilled about the work i've put in to my condo over the last 5 weeks i've owned it. My time is worth a lot to me, and i'm constantly assessing opportunity costs.

When you said that overall upkeep is more expensive, were you referring to a sfh, or a condominium?

Yes, you're in the correct general area. West ridge runs from mccormick (the river) on the west to ridge ave on the east and howard (on the north) to peterson (on the south.) rogers park is roughly ridge all the way to the lake, and from the cemetery on the north to devon on the south.

Depending on what you consider the ~$100k range, yes i did purchase in that range. I spent closer to $150k and got in to a well maintained building with an extremely well run association with healthy reserves. I think the reason my unit may have been 'undesirable' to many was due to lack of updates. Save for new hardwood flooring, everything else in the unit was original from 1978. I've just replaced all the appliances for new ones and am now slowly putting together a plan for the kitchen and bathrooms.

Good luck in your search.
sfh

Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
sfh
Totally agree with you.

From what I've seen, there are two mindsets with condos: you either love them and can get behind the benefits, or you've got displeasure with them, and may have only owned one for a short time as a stepping stone to a SFH.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Totally agree with you.

From what I've seen, there are two mindsets with condos: you either love them and can get behind the benefits, or you've got displeasure with them, and may have only owned one for a short time as a stepping stone to a SFH.
My Wife and I have already discussed moving into a full service condo once we retire and the kids are grown. Having a SFH to keep up in my golden years just doesn't appeal to me.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:57 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
I live near the units on Central Street in Evanston and the one advertised for $75,000 is worth about $250K and the latter is also the Zillow estimate. I am assuming the low price is clickbait and you'll find the unit is "sold" (i.e. never existed) or there is something seriously wrong with it (physically or financially). The neighborhood is upscale, so that's not the problem.

I recently helped a friend look for a "cheap" condo and everything under about $200K was pretty worthless. That is still a huge savings relative to San Francisco and if you move to Chicago you will find everything to be a relative bargain, but don't buy a $75,000 condo.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I live near the units on Central Street in Evanston and the one advertised for $75,000 is worth about $250K and the latter is also the Zillow estimate. I am assuming the low price is clickbait and you'll find the unit is "sold" (i.e. never existed) or there is something seriously wrong with it (physically or financially). The neighborhood is upscale, so that's not the problem.

I recently helped a friend look for a "cheap" condo and everything under about $200K was pretty worthless. That is still a huge savings relative to San Francisco and if you move to Chicago you will find everything to be a relative bargain, but don't buy a $75,000 condo.
Needs updating if it was on the market for 250k!

That clickbait crap is annoying with Zillow, try Redfin instead.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:19 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Your best bet is probably looking in the top right cluster of properties on the map - this is in the Rogers Park neighborhood, which is touch and go, but probably your best best to get the rent you need.
In Rogers Park, a lot of your rental market might be Northwestern students. Similarly, there are bargain-priced condos in Hyde Park which could be rented to UChicago students.

Not that students are great tenants (far from it), but they do have a way of propping up rental demand. As a result, "student ghetto" neighborhoods can sometimes have an OK yield -- but do a thorough check about rental restrictions in whatever building you buy in, because most condo buildings justifiably want to avoid just that scenario.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
In Rogers Park, a lot of your rental market might be Northwestern students. Similarly, there are bargain-priced condos in Hyde Park which could be rented to UChicago students.

Not that students are great tenants (far from it), but they do have a way of propping up rental demand. As a result, "student ghetto" neighborhoods can sometimes have an OK yield -- but do a thorough check about rental restrictions in whatever building you buy in, because most condo buildings justifiably want to avoid just that scenario.
I lived further south in Rogers Park mind you, but you're probably going to see a lot more Loyola students in Rogers Park than Northwestern students considering the majority of Loyola's main campus is located in Rogers Park.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:45 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Indeed -- typo on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago