Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 4,296 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Im currently enrolled in college taking Advertising and marketing communications. I have always wanted to move to chicago since my father started taking me in my teen years. Whenever I traveled there I assumed that you needed to be making six figures just to keep yourself afloat but I have also heard that you can survive on a lot less is this correct???

I would like to live as close to Navy Pier as possible I realise this could be wishful thinking but i would still love some of your input. Would this be possible living of an entry level position in this field of a 30,000 to 40,000 dollar salary??? if not what would be some better neighborhoods to look into????

Also I definitely don't want to own a car (I feel you don't get the vibe of the city driving everywhere) and id be more then willing to buy a CTA pass every month. But i was wondering if I don't shop a lot and eat out may twice a week (just fast food) I very rarely eat at sit down restaurants and so same question as before do you think that this move is plausible for someone with that salary????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
The biggest thing is rent. Anything in a desirable neighborhood adjacent to the CBD or Navy Pier will be a minimum $2k per month for rent (room-mate?). Living further out or in the burbs you can find a place for $1200 or less. Otherwise most of the other costs aren't that far out of whack with most other parts of the country especially without a car. You should be able to live ok on $30-40k.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM

Im not too familiar with neighbor names. I admittedly only know them by the buildings that they are near. Would living closer to soldier field be more or less expensive??

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Soldier Field is the South Loop and that is a hot and up and coming neighborhood since it is close to the central business district. My brother was looking for a place there and it is over $2k a month. By further out I mean like Jefferson Park, Lincoln Square or so. Otherwise the burbs near a metra station would be worth considering.

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsboy View Post
Whenever I traveled there I assumed that you needed to be making six figures just to keep yourself afloat but I have also heard that you can survive on a lot less is this correct???
No way - not even close.

Quote:
Would this be possible living of an entry level position in this field of a 30,000 to 40,000 dollar salary??? if not what would be some better neighborhoods to look into????
No, at least double that salary unless you have tens of thousands of dollars saved up in an account somewhere or you somehow sneak like 4 people into a 2 bedroom apartment. I'd say minimum of $65K/year to be comfortable if not $70K. The great thing about Chicago is that you don't need to live near there to enoy it. You could easily live in another area with good public transit coverage on even $40K/year and live fine as long as you aren't a ridiculous spender.

Quote:
Also I definitely don't want to own a car (I feel you don't get the vibe of the city driving everywhere) and id be more then willing to buy a CTA pass every month. But i was wondering if I don't shop a lot and eat out may twice a week (just fast food) I very rarely eat at sit down restaurants and so same question as before do you think that this move is plausible for someone with that salary????
Yes, it's plausible, but not living downtown.

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Im not too familiar with neighbor names. I admittedly only know them by the buildings that they are near. Would living closer to soldier field be more or less expensive??
Less but not inexpensive. Most people fresh out of college and go by the name "cubsboy" split rent with a few roommates in Lakeview or Lincoln Park.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The biggest thing is rent. Anything in a desirable neighborhood adjacent to the CBD or Navy Pier will be a minimum $2k per month for rent (room-mate?).
This estimate is too high. I was renting out a 1 bedroom in the Gold Coast until the end of December that was $1400/month and there's other places downtown for that or even a little cheaper. I have other friends living not far from me in GC paying around that or less for studios. I know of two buildings in GC where the studios are actually less than $1000/month still.

Average in River North/Streeterville for 1 bedroom is probably more like $1800/month right now. GC and South Loop on average is cheaper but.. regardless, even then the OP isn't going to be affording it.

Quote:
Living further out or in the burbs you can find a place for $1200 or less. Otherwise most of the other costs aren't that far out of whack with most other parts of the country especially without a car. You should be able to live ok on $30-40k.
You can afford it easily within the city limits of Chicago. An ex girlfriend of mine was making under $40K a year and found a 2 bedroom apartment in Lakeview for $750 per person. You could easily live in many neighborhoods with roommates and pay this or less. I know people who pay $500/month in areas like Irving Park with a few roommates.

The median idividual salary of people in the city is under $35K/year. Needless to say there's many people who make under $40K and can live. It's the same type of thinking that makes people think you need to be making $150K+/year to live in any area of NYC.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 AM

So from what I read I should be able to keep my head afloat until i start getting paid more???

Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
So from what I read I should be able to keep my head afloat until i start getting paid more???
Only if you want to live comfortably downtown. You can easily live in other areas of town and hang out in that area within 15-30 minutes on a $40K/year salary. Chicago is way more than just downtown.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Do you envision hanging out at Navy Pier after work every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago