Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:36 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have touched on the differences. Having lived in both, a key difference to me is how each is laid out. Chicago has a better "narrative" for your run of the mill visitor. A very dense CBD, a more lively evening area immediately adjacent just north of the river, and several contiguous neighborhoods with the majority of the attractions that blend pretty seamlessly. I'm thinking downtown stretching north along the lake, also south a bit, plus northwest out to Logan, sw to Pilsen, etc. Stl is very fragmented...even along the central corridor. Downtown is pretty dead for a metro of STL's size, then there is a deader zone until Midtown, then another drop off before CWE and Forest Park. Go north of the central corridor and in many areas you're asking yourself why the hell you made the decision to go there. A lot if north city makes the worst parts of the south or west sides look nice by comparison. Like Chicago, STL is really a city of neighborhoods. Unfortunately, many of its best examples run south of 40, which means they are separated from the central corridor by a huge rail viaduct.

These neighborhoods change pretty dramatically as well too. Take drive west from Broadway to Kingshighway around arsenal to see what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 12:42 PM

591 posts, read 781,729 times
I love the historic big house tree shaded areas in the outer hoods and inner suburbs. the parks and plazas are great and i love the vibe of the city the day of a baseball game. i was there during a cubs vs cardinals game, and the city had such a great vibe. and of course the arch is a sight to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago