Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 16,923 times

Advertisements

Not really referencing that movie but more if the image that comes to mind. Cheap apartment. Probably not a great reference. But I have seen the Pagoda style buildings with the gardens all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Haha I really don't want a flop house or be in the middle if tweakerville.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:10 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,259,259 times
There aren't a lot; there are some. I don't really remember that from Chinatown.

The days of a genuine Skid Row like the notorious one in the Loop are pretty much gone.

No one in their right mind would want to live in a Chicago flophouse.

It's likely to be less like Chinatown and more like Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer!

Old 04-12-2015, 12:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,259,259 times
That movie was practically an ode to LA. Odd choice for referencing Chicago.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:12 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,838,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawantstoknow View Post
I will need easy access to public transportation, I will grocery stores, nearby and dining, and cafes. My daughter is moving with and it would be nice if she was able to be near a college age crowd. We want to be near the active night life where there is something to do.

It is West Erie St. And i dont want a long commute.
Understandable. I think there's a few areas you might want to look at that you should be able to get a 2 bedroom with.

Based on West Erie, you are going to want to stay near either the Brown or Red Lines, depending exactly where on W Erie it is (If it's not too far from State Street, then the Red Line might be better). Red Line runs 24/7 while the Brown Line runs more like 21 hours/day. You might also be able to live west of downtown and take a bus.

* Lakeview - 2nd largest by population area of Chicago and there's some places available. A few of the Red/Brown line stops you want to be near would be Wellington, Diversey, and Belmont. Addison stop, which is Wrigleyville, can be a bit loud. Might want to look at some areas near the Southport or Paulina brown line stops.

Big mix of people all over, but some areas are pretty damn young. A lot of recently out of college aged people who landed jobs, some college aged kids, some people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, etc.

Probably pushing the upper end of your budget here - might have to extend to something like $1650 with some places including utilities.

* Lincoln Square/Ravenswood - Laid back area with a number of things to do. A lot of either families here or people who are say 26 and above. This is along the brown line (Montrose, Damen, and Western stops). Easy to get to areas like Lakeview and Lincoln Park (kind of like Lakeview in some ways but more expensive. Also where DePaul University is) on the train.

- 4525 N Claremont Ave, Chicago, IL 60625 is For Rent | Zillow
- W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL 60613 is For Rent | Zillow

* Ukrainian Village/East Ukrainian Village - Pretty laid back area. The Chicago Avenue bus runs 24/7 and can take you East towards Erie Ave (a little walk after that). Wicker Park to the north of it is a busy area. A lot of people in their 20s and 30s here, but also some older in general. Also fairly close to the Blue Line which runs 24/7 (and goes to O'Hare airport).

- 1659 W Huron St # 6511S, Chicago, IL 60622 is For Rent | Zillow

I think in any one of these 3 areas, it's a max 30 minute train or bus ride. An area like UK Village might be like a 15 minute bus ride in the morning maybe (longer when there's traffic for sure) or some parts of Lakeview might be a 20 minute train ride

Old 04-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Thank you for that information. It was really helpful with the bus line detail.
At least this gives me areas to focus my search in.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM

No problem. I think out of the three you'd probably have less chance of finding something in Lakeview near the train, but it's definitely possible. Also with groceries, keep in mind there are grocery delivery services in town like Peapod that actually get good produce. All 3 are pretty quiet, though Lakeview in some areas has the most nightlife. All can be laid back though - probably more cafe culture in an area like Ukrainian Village. The area of Wicker Park might be the closest thing Chicago has to the east village in NYC currently (but maybe slightly less hip) if that is at all helpful. Lincoln Square would be like being in a dense-ish, quiet, laid back type of pre war town in the middle of a big city, and Lakeview has some of that with busy ness in areas too. I guess you could say the same about Ukrainian Village but it's maybe a little more Indie feeling than the other areas I mentioned. UK Village is gentrifying - you have low rent places and all this going on, but in the last few years there's been some nice homes nearing in on $1M or over (which is what an area like Wicker Park and Bucktown right nearby have too).

Old 04-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Oh! I had no idea on the grocery delivery. We don't have that. That is pretty cool.

I was thinking Lakeview sounded like the best option. I will look but maybe co spider the other places too.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Where are you moving from, if you don't mind me asking? If you're looking out for your daughter and want her to be around college aged kids, then Lakeview might be the best option of those I listed (unless she is more indie type then UK Village might actually be better). However, an area like Lincoln Square is a 5-7 minute train ride to those areas and pretty close. UK Village/Wicker Park has a lot of that going on too. A lot of people hang out in Wicker Park in the North/Damen/Milwaukee general area.

Here's some random videos about the areas:
Lakeview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWZp1d18Ls

West Town (contains Wicker Park, UK Village, etc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT1_FpgB5nM

Lincoln Square: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh7_Zm48Ius

Old 04-12-2015, 12:39 PM

We are moving from Atlanta but have only been here about a year. We came from Arizona.

We don't need to be right in the middle of college town but nearby would be good. She needs to get out and meet people that are busy and wanting to do things and go places. Not just be cooped up in the house all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago